Home U.S. Coin Forum

Some better, some worse: Should I say anything?

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
[I'm going to fudge the specifics to make the question simpler, but this is based on reality.]

I bought a couple of items from an online seller, paying $300 for each based on the seller's description and their good reputation. I received the items today, and I didn't get what I expected. Both items differ significantly from what I thought I was buying -- in different directions. One is worth about $100; the other is worth about $500. In other words, I probably paid the right amount, in total (but not for each individual piece).

In each case, I am confident that the seller sent me the items that they intended to send me (that is, I didn't receive items that were supposed to go to someone else), and that the mistakes were honest ones. The paid-$300-worth-$100 piece is slabbed, with a mechanical error on the slab saying that it's rarer than the piece that's actually in the slab. The paid-$300-worth-$500 piece is a condition rarity that was sold as a high grade piece, but the seller doesn't know quite how rare it really is.

For the sake of discussion, assume that the seller has a no-questions-asked return policy. Also, assume that I'm right about the one being worth less. (If it makes you feel better, assume that I send the item for reslabbing and I get it back without the mechanical error.)

Should I say anything to the seller?

I haven't made a decision. I'm going to sleep on it.

Comments

• I voted for option 1. You came out even, he delivered. Probably simpler to just leave it as is.

Although, if I were the seller, I'd like the FYI but it seems like a lot of folks out there are paranoid about the possibility for negative feedback and are pretty defensive about it all. Yeah, I'd just leave it unless you think the seller is going to take kindly to a FYI.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    You would not have posted this if you were happy with the coins.

Return the one you are not happy with.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only your opinion that the one is worth more - I've bought plenty of coins where my opinion was that it was worth more than I paid. If the mechanical error is factual, then you should return that coin.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Option 1 is fair for the money aspect but if they are not coins you would have bought at the $500/$100 prices then return them.

Ed
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you didn't get the coin you expected to get in the deal, then I'd be returning it. The seller shouldn't have a problem with this once they confirm the mechanical error.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask yourself if you like these two as much as the ones that you were supposed to get. If your answer is no, you should send them back.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in any coin transaction, keep the ones you like and return the ones you don't like. It's a no brainer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Sellling is selling and buying is buying.
    Both sides take a risk, but the buyer typically has options where a seller has few after the transaction is completed.
    I would return the coin you are not happy with and keep the other coin.
    The seller still wins as he sold a coin at a good value to you the buyer.

We have all sold something where we later found out that the buyer made out like a bandit. I have never blamed a buyer for this but myself for not being better informed.
    I always say if there is going to be a error it should be in the favor of the buyer.
    Jay
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Return the mechanical error, keep the other. Case closed. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>[I'm going to fudge the specifics to make the question simpler, but this is based on reality.]

I bought a couple of items from an online seller, paying $300 for each based on the seller's description and their good reputation. I received the items today, and I didn't get what I expected. Both items differ significantly from what I thought I was buying -- in different directions. One is worth about $100; the other is worth about $500. In other words, I probably paid the right amount, in total (but not for each individual piece).

In each case, I am confident that the seller sent me the items that they intended to send me (that is, I didn't receive items that were supposed to go to someone else), and that the mistakes were honest ones. The paid-$300-worth-$100 piece is slabbed, with a mechanical error on the slab saying that it's rarer than the piece that's actually in the slab. The paid-$300-worth-$500 piece is a condition rarity that was sold as a high grade piece, but the seller doesn't know quite how rare it really is.

For the sake of discussion, assume that the seller has a no-questions-asked return policy. Also, assume that I'm right about the one being worth less. (If it makes you feel better, assume that I send the item for reslabbing and I get it back without the mechanical error.)

Should I say anything to the seller?

I haven't made a decision. I'm going to sleep on it. >>

If the total for both items was $600, and you paid $600, what is the problem?
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    If the item is not as advertised you have the right to return it. Unless this is a situation where you bought the coins as a lot, then I would treat each coin as an individual transaction. If you would normally return the item of lesser value standing alone, then that is what you should do. Unless sold only as a lot, the quality of one coin has no bearing on the other coins. If they were sold as a lot, then it's your call, if you are unlikely to find another one in any reasonable amount of time, the I would keep them all.

Either way I think PCGS will insure the coin if there is a question of mechanical error.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe keep what you want and trade off the bad stuff for something you want. just an idea
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    As in any coin transaction, keep the ones you like and return the ones you don't like. It's a no brainer

As a seller, that's a little too all encompassing for me to swallow. As a buyer, do I not take some risk and should be accountable for my end of the transaction?
    With that said, I voted: Explain error to seller as FYI only. I keep the items; he keeps the payment.

You got it off your chest to him...go on.

Also, you say I probably paid the right amount, in total (but not for each individual piece). So you bought a Lot of 2 coins and between the both of them, you admit looking at it from a money/value standpoint it's a fair deal. I don't see the issue. jmho. If anything, you should return both coins if you think 1 is overvalued from what was expected.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Return the item you don't like... As if you don't like it now, it will not grow on you in the future!
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Follow your heart, it always comes back to you manyfold when you do--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 1. if bought as a lot and you are happy , keep the lot leave positive feedback done deal, if not return the lot. your option on telling the seller about mechanical error and what you believe to be the higher dollar condition sensitive one (whether you keep the coins or not).

2. If bought individually then keep the coin you like and send the other one back and tell him about the mechanical error .

3. inform him of the mechanical error and ask for a partial refund on that coin , then tell him about the higher dollar condition sensitive one & offer him more money for that one.

4. start the ebay buyer extortion program & tell him you will only be happy if he gives you a 250.00 refund immediately & lets you keep both coins, make him bleed & beg (as we know all dealers are crooks anyway). just kidding/I am being sarcastic. image

What ever you decide to do, put yourself in the seller's shoes and think how you would like to be treated if the roles were reversed.

just my 2 cents.

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    on the mechanical error - like the wrong year or denomination or mintmark and anyone could see - I would return it

if it is something a 5th grader would not be able to tell (like some LM variety listed wrong) - I would keep it

the seller would surely want the bad coin back if it is other than what they sold/thought

I also would look at their raw offerings more often, as they seem to value them differently than you
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that there's such a split in opinions. At least I wasn't nuts in thinking that there was some question about what to do. image

In the end, after sleeping on it last night I came to the same conclusion as the majority here. I contacted the seller and he said he'd have no problems taking the mechanical error back. So give or take the holiday on Monday, it'll be heading back to him early next week.

BTW, since several people raised the issue... these two pieces were NOT purchased as a lot. They were two different purchases that happened to be paid for and shipped at the same time. I agree that this would have been a non-event if the two were purchased as a lot. A lot is an all-or-nothing sort of thing. It can't be partially returned. As it happens, I like buying lots. I buy, um, "lots of lots". This case wasn't one of them, though.

Thanks for the feedback!

jonathan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file