Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question.....what is it and what is it worth? The answers might surprise you.....

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    18th century die trial piece worth tens of thousands?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hogge Money
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'm afraid to answer... I really NEED to be accepted by you! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hog.

edited (meant to type 20)
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hogge Money >>

Yep. My first thought was a Sommer Islands coin. And, if so, it's worth quite a bit.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hogge Money >>

Yep. My first thought was a Sommer Islands coin. And, if so, it's worth quite a bit. >>

My first thought, as well.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can probably lose a zero and be in the ballpark.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what it might be worth to someone else. I would not pay $100 for it (unless I knew I could immediately sell it for much more).

• Here ya' go..............................

The first coinage issued for the British Colonies in the New World, the Sommer Islands, or Bermuda pieces are also known as Hogge Money or Hoggies. These nicknames are derived from the obverse device on the coinage--a hog that represents the most abundant source of food that the British colonists found when they first set foot on the islands. Denominations are Twopence, Threepence, Sixpence and Shilling, all of which are rare and all of which are usually offered in low grades and impaired due to oxidation.

Our first offering of a Sommer Islands piece in many years, this Twopence exhibits the typical quality of the type. Both sides are heavily worn, and the surfaces are rough with heavy pitting that also makes it difficult to discern the devices. Much of the obverse hog and the reverse ship are evident, however, and the denomination II on the obverse is quite sharp. For the grade and type, a more than presentable example of this historic and elusive issue.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sommers Island 2 pence, $18,400 (Tampa 1/11). image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sommers Island 2 pence, $18,400 (Tampa 1/11). image >>

That was my second guess.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reminds me of this...

• Yes you are correct and in 400 years of being left outside, it might actually come even closer to resembling the original coin listed above.

...and how many non-collectors would choose yours over the one at the top....by a mile?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I glanced at it long enough and think I saw a schooner image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that this piece received an AG3 instead of a Genuine like so many of the early large cents, which were in much better shape.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I find it hard to believe that this piece received an AG3 instead of a Genuine like so many of the early large cents, which were in much better shape. >>

I'm surprised it didn't receive the "Shipwreck Effect" notation.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • RWRW Posts: 485
    That pizza should have come out of the oven a day or two sooner.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw it in Tampa and had a hard time making out much of anything.........
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hogge Money >>

Bingo! We have a winner!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>I don't care what it might be worth to someone else. I would not pay $100 for it (unless I knew I could immediately sell it for much more).

image >>

RYK---I thought you liked crusty coins.image

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, however, not an item I would consider for my collection. Cheers, RickO
    I wonder what this coin would be worth if it weren't in the Red Book. I'm not sure why it's even listed in the Red Book.image

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a cool coin. I did not know what it was until the link was posted. Thanks for posting. Yes, I am a little surprised at the hammer price. Thanks for posting it.

• << <i>Interesting, however, not an item I would consider for my collection. Cheers, RickO >>

Well, that may be so.......I suspect that you have never gone to a bar, stuck up a conversation with a gorgeous girl, whipped out a coin like this in and answered the inevitable question of "How much is it worth?"

Try that and I bet you'll be glad you bought one.
  • It's listed in the RebBook because Bermuda was discovered by the ancestors of white Americans (I prefer European Americans) who also discovered Bermuda just before North America.

It's like meeting a girl, then meeting her sister and then dumping the girl to be with the sister. If you wrote an autobiography, you couldn't just leave out the girl.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file