Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you ever buy coins that you are not using for your collection?

I collect gold coins, in particular gold dollars. Lately I find myself buying coins (btw over $1000 each) that I don't collect.
Don't know why I just like them a lot, I wonder if anyone here, as the same "problem" image

MT

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Expendable income... no direction... new direction... addiction... obsessive/compulsive disorder... tired of gold... you choose. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy error coins all the time that are not for my collection. Some I buy to resell. Some I buy because the coin is way underpriced and the coin sometimes ends up in my collection or at least on my website.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes some just look too good to be true. But most usually don't stay around to long. Except for that mint set from 1853.

In other words don't let the walls hold you in all the time. Or don't block the view or you never see the view.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I have done that from time to time. Not really a coin I collect, but the coin itself is nice for what it is and I cannot pass it up if a good deal.

• If your collecting tastes never grow and change you are just being static. Lot's of guys go from beer to scotch, some go from scotch to beer, some enjoy both - just not in the same glass at the same time.

Buy what you like and enjoy yourself. Your collection has to please no one except you.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...a few of Dan Carrs peace dollars come to mind...
  • I have been known to buy coins I do not collect. Not for the intrensic worth or value thereof, but because I like them.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Do what you like
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collection consists of coins that I find interesting and eye appealing.

So, I would have to say I don't have the same problem. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a bust half once because I liked the toning on it.....

Now I have a registry! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    I am more a "picker" than a collector, hence I don't have that problem.
    I buy what I like, better if made of gold! image
  • If a coin is outside my area of focus, but catches my eye, the price is right and I have the money, that coin will become part of my collection.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it all the time.
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>I do it all the time. >>

I do as well
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course. It's called "dealing" image
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Many collectors collect "anything they happen to like." They probably do better long term than those collecting a single specialty and finding that it's out of favor when they want to sell.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    All the freakin time! I just can't help myself.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a coin is outside my area of focus, but catches my eye, the price is right and I have the money, that coin will become part of my collection. >>

Same here. If you specialize in one series, you will eventually want a little variety. Also, sometimes an opportunity comes along where the coins are just too good of a deal---e.g. someone at my coin club was selling off some XF-AU Morgan dollars for $20 each so I bought several.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "....not using for your collection?"

I find that a strange statement.... I believe I understand what you mean - i.e. a focused assemblage of a coin series. I collect coins that I like, some are a series, many are not. It is a hobby. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Expendable income... no direction... new direction... addiction... obsessive/compulsive disorder... tired of gold... you choose. image >>

maybe all of the above or a combination
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you buy them, they're in your collection even if they're not in your collection.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Sure, if I see something that catches my eye, why not as long as it doesn't bust the budget?

Last Baltimore show, I bought the equivalent of U.S. modern silver Eagles but from: Great Britain, Mexico, Canada and a couple of other countries. All .999 silver like the ASE's. I just had some extra money and walked past a table offering a bunch of them at a decent price per coin.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more impatient I become with finding the Merc varieties the more tempting it is becoming for me to stray...and it has only been a few weeks since my last purchase. I feel sooo dirty. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

• << <i>Sure, if I see something that catches my eye, why not as long as it doesn't bust the budget?

Last Baltimore show, I bought the equivalent of U.S. modern silver Eagles but from: Great Britain, Mexico, Canada and a couple of other countries. All .999 silver like the ASE's. I just had some extra money and walked past a table offering a bunch of them at a decent price per coin. >>

Good man! Doesn't hurt to have a little variety, and an ounce of silver is at least an ounce of silver. Who knows? You might branch out into some other bullion issues also. There is some fun stuff out there.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I started taking Adderal I no longer suffer from this problem.
  • All the time........it's a sickness, if i like i buy it.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the time.
    Dupes, bargains, key dates, cherrypicks... it's impossible to ignore all of them.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file