Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detector-want one that is good in a salt water enviroment

Hi---I have a metal detector and use it at the beach (model ACE 250). But when I get close to the wet sand it seems to go crazy and does not work right. I think it may be the salt/minerals in the sand that cause this???

I am thinking of trying to buy a waterproof metal detector, (both coil and housing), but I want one that I can use close to the waterline at the salt water beach. Even for use under the water a little. But I am concerned that even though waerproof, the detector will fail to work because of the salt/minerals in the sand close to the water edge.

Any recommendations about this? I am hoping to buy an inexpensive model if possible.

Thanks!
Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on what you mean by inexpensive. When you get into the machines that handle the saltsand and salt water, they are more expensive than the 250.. a relatively cheap, entry level machine (but a good one for dirt). For wet sand and water, I would recommend the White's Dual Field PI (Pulse Induction) machine... it goes deep and finds the good stuff.... well, it also finds all the trash too. I recommend you get Clive Clynick's book on beach hunting and PI machines... Check White's site, and sometimes dealers run specials. Not too often on the DF though, it is such a great machine. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    or the prism v
  • Options
    Just get the Trident.....go through Kellyco, they hav'em for about 279.00. A fantastic beginner Machine. GOODLUCK!!!
    Tor Mason
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Thanks fellas for all the info.

<< <i>Just get the Trident.....go through Kellyco, they hav'em for about 279.00. A fantastic beginner Machine. GOODLUCK!!! >>

I checked out the Viper Trident---but the price at KellyCo is $449. Maybe it will go on sale.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Call kellyco....they are closing out the trident viper....279.00. ...E-ME, if you want.
    Tor Mason
  • Options
    Go to the used,and pre-owned Detectors at Kellyco. Look for the Referbished detectors.
    Those detectors have been damaged in transit,and are factory Referbished with the 5 yr. warranty. 279.00 Ea. (HURRY....Only 4 left ) GOOD LUCK !!
    Tor Mason