Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why does it seem that experienced numismatists value luster so highly?

You know it when you see it....those coruscating, fine granular......scintillating......oftentimes apparently delicate......reflections of light that bounce off of a coin's surface as you rotate it in the light.....

Why might it be that that is that the number one characteristic that we look for in a coin that distinguishes it from a less desireable coin?

And which coins frequently have that luster that we want?

One suggestion as to a series which often comes with nice luster are standing liberty quarters. I have always had a soft spot for a high grade mint state SLQ with original skin....these are not the best images but it's getting late....

Comments

• To me it is a sure thing that the coin hasn't been messed with, ( talking about pure white coins here). When the Doctors get to the point that they can add luster to a coin, I'll sell out and be gone.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Because luster is only produced during the striking/ minting process and can't be replecated post minting.

It also is evident of little or no wear as it takes minimal wear to eliminate the raised microscopic lines that produce lustre.

Plus as you say it produce a lovely cartwheel shine that is atractive to the eye and evident when tilting the coin in hand.

You can remove luster but you can't replace it.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I should add in the past people have tried to replicate luster by whizzing coins, but in reality whizzing produces false luster as instead of the lines being raised, they are incuse and this is evident through an eye loop. Thus the coin is damaged.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To experienced numismatists, luster indicates originality, to the inexperienced it is more 'color' or 'flash' and, like tarnish, deemed attractive. Cheers, RickO
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To experienced numismatists, luster indicates originality, to the inexperienced it is more 'color' or 'flash' and, like tarnish, deemed attractive. Cheers, RickO >>

pfffttttt, I call BS. Color when infused with syrupy lustre are some of the most sought after coins by experienced collectors.

lustre+ color = heaven for a lot of us. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • To have a coin " Cart Wheel " is just the best thing about a coin and I have all ways felt that.

But Luster is even better because it reminds me of frosting on a cake and I Like Cake !!
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Luster is something that can be seen halfway across a room. Agree with MJ about color and luster.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file