Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need to remove verdigris from this Libertas Medal

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
How should I do it?
I've read soak in olive oil or mineral oil. Which is better? The only reason I want to remove it is because its active and will continue corroding the medal.

imageimage

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How should I do it?
    I've read soak in olive oil or mineral oil. Which is better? The only reason I want to remove it is because its active and will continue corroding the medal.

imageimage

AJ >>

Can you still get VerdiGone? If not I could offer a suggestion.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an NCS job. Let the pros deal with it.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I sent it to NCS, they wouldnt do anything because they couldnt confirm its authenticity. It was confirmed authentic by Joe Levine, NCS just didnt want to chance it.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between verdigris and corrosion. This is corrosion, and undoubtedly active.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
    Any other suggestions?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A long soak in mineral oil (olive oil can turn rancid) while occasionally using a toothpick to scrape away any soft/loose verdigris.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Perryhall - at the least, it won't hurt it and should stop the progress.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Mineral oil will not remove verdigris; try this http://www.verdigone.com
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I thought NCS would conserve anything offered up. I did not realize they turned away work if the coin was borderline authentic.
    Update! The medal was confirmed to be authentic by Joe Levine. However, NCS does not wish to conserve it.
    Frankly, I just want the active verdigris to be removed.

Any further suggestions?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>LINK >>

Is that the same as verdigone? It's listed under a different name.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Dremel? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this specific case, it won't matter what you find is effective in removing the verdigris. The underlying surfaces have already likely been damaged, so the medal will look as bad or worse than it already does. A lengthy soak of MS-70 will remove the green and some of the red verdigris, however I'm certain that once removed it will reveal heavily etched surfaces.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>In this specific case, it won't matter what you find is effective in removing the verdigris. The underlying surfaces have already likely been damaged, so the medal will look as bad or worse than it already does. A lengthy soak of MS-70 will remove the green and some of the red verdigris, however I'm certain that once removed it will reveal heavily etched surfaces. >>

Yes, you are correct, and I am ready for that. But at least it will stop further damage. What is MS-70?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In this specific case, it won't matter what you find is effective in removing the verdigris. The underlying surfaces have already likely been damaged, so the medal will look as bad or worse than it already does. A lengthy soak of MS-70 will remove the green and some of the red verdigris, however I'm certain that once removed it will reveal heavily etched surfaces. >>

Yes, you are correct, and I am ready for that. But at least it will stop further damage. What is MS-70? >>

MS70 is basically ammonia
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes, you are correct, and I am ready for that. But at least it will stop further damage. What is MS-70? >>

I have some, remind me and I'll bring it on Friday.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
    "MS70 is basically ammonia "

Not true, according to the manufacturer "MS-70 is a blend of industrial detergents and surfactants designed to remove surface contamination from metal without disturbing the metal surface itself.
    Surface contamination can be seen as PVC, tarnish, fog, oil, dirt, etc. "

However, MS70 will not remove verdigris.

<< <i>

<< <i>LINK >>

Is that the same as verdigone? It's listed under a different name. >>

It's their latest version of verdigone.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to get that off is with a scraper. How steady is your hand?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, the EAC guys use soft rose thorns instead of toothpicks. If you don't have any rosebushes, take your pocketknife with you next time you visit a plant store (kidding).image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

MS70 is basically ammonia >>

What???? MS-70 is anything but ammonia. It is a highly concentrated basic solution of surfactant, with a pH level similar to lye, although nowhere near as caustic as lye. MS-70 has been reformulated in the past couple years from a fairly "watery" viscosity to a very syrupy, almost gel-like consistency. It is very effective for the type of surface contamination that is evident on your medal. MS-70 is available in a plastic 8 fluid oz. bottle from most major numismatic supply distributors.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is really not much you can do for this piece. It's got hole, and this medal is not supposed to have one. It's got lots of corrsion, and when you remove that you will have more pits. I think there is more chance to do harm that good. If you turn this medal into a brassy bright horror it will be close to the end. The only thing after that is to give it to a coin doctor for a sulfur treatment.

I'd give this to pro to mess with it. Don't expect much, but if they can inactivate the corrosion, that would be as about good as you could hope for.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

• << <i>In this specific case, it won't matter what you find is effective in removing the verdigris. The underlying surfaces have already likely been damaged, so the medal will look as bad or worse than it already does. A lengthy soak of MS-70 will remove the green and some of the red verdigris, however I'm certain that once removed it will reveal heavily etched surfaces. >>

Do not soak long in MS70, it will corrode the surfaces of the entire coin.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI, the EAC guys use soft rose thorns instead of toothpicks. If you don't have any rosebushes, take your pocketknife with you next time you visit a plant store (kidding).image >>

Or buy the wife some long stemmed roses for the 14th and tell the florist to leave on the thorns.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is really not much you can do for this piece. It's got hole, and this medal is not supposed to have one. It's got lots of corrsion, and when you remove that you will have more pits. I think there is more chance to do harm that good. If you turn this medal into a brassy bright horror it will be close to the end. >>

I agree with Bill. In the process of attempting to prevent further damage" (paraphrasing the OP's words), it will cost money and might very well end up looking worse.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add to the chorus of "leave it be"

I like the red and green with the brown... as has been said, it could more easily go worse from here than improve

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Hmm...I was thinking of having a special encasing made and wear it around my neck at coin shows. imageimage
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would highly recommend staying away from MS70

that crap seems like it would kill you in under a minute if you aren't in a super-ventilated area, preferably outside, and yes it is very corrosive

lets see.

how about zylol vs verdicare vs olive oil
    olive oil seems to do an ok job, never left coins in this for weeks or months, maybe it works better over a much longer period. ok results on copper coins for short term

zylol. never used. suggested to me by Rod Buress and he supplies this as well as the gentle brushes for which to apply it

verdicare - probably going to be one of the next things i try. have seen many xf/au/unc coppers that if gently massaged could turn out to be beauties and conserved for future generations

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Nitromethane and a WOOD toothpick would do the job. Ha, if you think MS_70 is noxious jack around with nitromethane, an industrial plasticizer, but it works.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dremel? image >>

dont use rotary file image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>LINK >>

Is that the same as verdigone? It's listed under a different name. >>

It says that it is a replacement for Verdi-Gone.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>Nitromethane and a WOOD toothpick would do the job. Ha, if you think MS_70 is noxious jack around with nitromethane, an industrial plasticizer, but it works. >>

i don't know what nitromethane is other than sounding like a top fuel dragster version of N2O.

do you really use it for coins?

if it is more noxious than MS70 I will probably stay away from it unless I see some amazing results ie images.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• It is the fuel used in dragsters, but it isn't nitrous oxide, like I said it is an industrial plasticizer. It works very well but is very flamable and very noxious. Don't be afraid of something if you are safe using it.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    MS 70 works great on removing haze from proof coins. This is the only thing I have ever tried using it on. Olive oil has to be changed every month or so, mineral oil doesn't. It is true removing the oils is very time consuming. I also would leave it be, there looks like there will be holes under the green. Best of luck on what ever you decide.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd use verdegone, or whatever it's called now. Soak for 12 to 24 hours, then use a thorn (I used locust tree thorns, they are bigger and easier to handle) to pick away the residue,which turns white from the verdigone. It takes multiple soaks and a lot of patience but you can get the green areas all the way down to copper.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone (will dry out the surfaces) then Blue Ribbon (to bring some life back).
  • CLR diluted with water can remove that. However, the amount of time needed to kill the green may also brighten the undamaged surfaces.
    Whatever you do, experiment on junky pocket change or other damaged metal first before experimenting on this piece.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

• << <i>.
    i would highly recommend staying away from MS70

that crap seems like it would kill you in under a minute if you aren't in a super-ventilated area, preferably outside, and yes it is very corrosive

lets see.

how about zylol vs verdicare vs olive oil
    olive oil seems to do an ok job, never left coins in this for weeks or months, maybe it works better over a much longer period. ok results on copper coins for short term

zylol. never used. suggested to me by Rod Buress and he supplies this as well as the gentle brushes for which to apply it

verdicare - probably going to be one of the next things i try. have seen many xf/au/unc coppers that if gently massaged could turn out to be beauties and conserved for future generations
    . >>

I think your getting Acetone and MS70 mixed up. MS70 does not need ventilation to be used, Acetone does if using it for prolonged periods of time. Read the caution parts of the directions?

• I like the CLR idea and bet it would work. If you used a poster tack (metal) and dug a small pocket in the middle and used a eye dropper to put a drop in and let it work for a minute, then washed with distilled water, then put more in the hole (assuming it got bigger), rinsed and repeated, you may very well clean that pocket out with no other damage. Very, very, very good idea. If you don't want to try it, I'll buy it form you and give it a shot.

<< <i>I think your getting Acetone and MS70 mixed up. MS70 does not need ventilation to be used, Acetone does if using it for prolonged periods of time. Read the caution parts of the directions? >>

that is a negative

i used that stuff once and in a somewhat open space.

it corroded/rusted? a cheap vf indian i practiced on.

it was kinda like a gel of sorts and knocked me on my butt when i made the mistake of standing over the metal can a foot or two away with the lid off

reminded me of the gel stuff that can be put on wood objects to remove paint. strong, messy and highly noxious.

for my part with mineral oil, olive oil, verdicare, verdigone, zylol etc i'll leave ms70 alone
    anyone else try it that hasn't yet, you have your warning, VENTILATE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file