Home U.S. Coin Forum

forgotten monster ! pcgs submission results are here !

i had forgotten all about this 55-s dime ! i think i will submit to pcgs with my next batch of coins, what will it grade in your opinion ??

hoping for a ms67 grade , but still a monster toned coin !

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toning itself and the progression looks funky to me.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I could see it grading 67. It's hard to tell if the bottom bands on the torch are split.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luster is all-important with the grading of Roosies (by PCGS, anyway), and that's hard
    to gauge from the photos. I'd guess 66 or 66+.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Broadstruck, I've seen Deltadimeman's listings on ebay, I believe the funky look is a result of the camera.

So..... if PCGS accepts the color, I'd guess 66 shot 67 depending on the luster in hand. Doesn't look FB from this angle of photo. But roosies are not my home territory and defer to DDman, Rainbowroosie, Lablover etc.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    the bands are not split, but the mint luster is ultra gem quality ! but is the toning the real deal ??
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd give that a 66+ no FB all day long. Maybe a shot 67.

Purty coin.
    imageimage

• PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I only see a hit on the eyebrow, looks like it would be at least a ms66. Toning looks NT to me.
    "It is what it is."
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Broadstruck, I've seen Deltadimeman's listings on ebay, I believe the funky look is a result of the camera.

So..... if PCGS accepts the color, I'd guess 66 shot 67 depending on the luster in hand. Doesn't look FB from this angle of photo. But roosies are not my home territory and defer to DDman, Rainbowroosie, Lablover etc. >>

Coppercolor, The pics are sharp as you can even see all the horizontal brush marks in the holder.

I too have been checking out Deltadimeman's nifty listings on ebay for over 6 years, but gotta go with my gut as the toning just seemed off to me right away.

Maybe the toning is secondary image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    You could very well be right Broadstruck. It's just that I remember seeing an ebay listing of a coin I knew, and remember remarking that it looked a little greasy, and a little brown compared to in-hand.

Dimeman, you have awesome coins brother. Me thinks a little camera tinkering would do them the justice they deserve. Wish I had some advice but I suck worse!

coppercolor , just a hand held sony cyber shot camera for me !

by the way , when are you going to sell me that 58d fb roosie ??????????
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The color is fine. MS66 No Bands

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

<< <i>coppercolor , just a hand held sony cyber shot camera for me !

by the way , when are you going to sell me that 58d fb roosie ?????????? >>

Remind me never to play against you in the memory game, it's like you know where the ladybug is and you're patiently waiting for the other one to turn up.

I should just send you the 58D so you can put it in your collection.

You may not believe me, but I thought of you and that coin TODAY.

J
  • Gorgeous original color...wouldn't be surprised if it came back a 67 but the images are not ideal for seeing hits.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the target toning.

I'm never a good judge of AT vs. NT but it looks OK to me?

I'll pass on guessing a grade, thanks. I try to avoid grading Roosies. (And Franklins. And ... well... lots of types.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ....at least 66
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65+, maybe 66.... tarnish is distracting...Cheers, RickO

• << <i>I only see a hit on the eyebrow, looks like it would be at least a ms66. Toning looks NT to me. >>

+1

• << <i>Coppercolor, The pics are sharp as you can even see all the horizontal brush marks in the holder.

I too have been checking out Deltadimeman's nifty listings on ebay for over 6 years, but gotta go with my gut as the toning just seemed off to me right away.

Maybe the toning is secondary image >>

You guys mean that lovely tarnish isn't "original?" Well, now I'm depressed...that just sucks! image

• << <i>I like the target toning.

I'm never a good judge of AT vs. NT but it looks OK to me? >>

Don't let it get you down. You're like me. We're not "educated" enough. image
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"65+, maybe 66.... tarnish is distracting...Cheers, RickO"
    -----
    Now that's funny!! Not totally unexpected, but funny!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got to agree with Broadstruck. My immediate reaction was that something in the color doesn't look quite right, both in that shade of light blue and the pattern it has.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very pretty dime! I would grade this piece at least 66 with a good shot at 67....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • 66 to me, likely not sharp enuff strike for the 7
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    bump for submission results
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    well done, great coin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list