Home U.S. Coin Forum

The most desireable common date toned Morgan I have ever seen.....(PCGS MS 68)

2»

Comments

• You're bringing me out of coin hibernation ...

The Norweb 1893-S before it was dipped:

The Vermeule 1893-S:

imageimage

The Eliasberg 1893-S (ex Clapp-Eliasberg-Stellar-Sunnywood-Simpson):

The 1881-S in the OP was purchased by me from Ron Sirna in a PCGS MS68 holder for the then record sum of $25,000.

Ron did pretty well on the coin - I think he paid three grand in a PCGS MS67 holder !! He got it into the ANACS MS68 holder first, in which it was the star subject of a full-page color ad by ANACS in Coin World (showing off their then-new holders). Ron offered it to me in the PCGS MS67 holder for some serious dollars, but I told him I would only buy it when PCGS put it in an MS68 holder, which I knew it deserved. Still, I didn't need another stellar MS67 of that date, so in this case I waited until it was in the "right" holder. (Yeah I know, it's blasphemy, I should have bought the coin, not the holder etc). Once it was in the 68 holder, I then was sure it was the singel finest toned '81-S on the planet, and was willing to pay the crazy price. Since '80-S, '81-S, and '82-S are all so common, I wanted those dates to be represented by uncommonly MONSTER specimens. All three of those dates in the set are pretty amazing !!

Adrian's image of the '81-S is better than the PCGS True View. I have even better digital images from Ron, but they are too large to upload. In hand, the coin is simply mesmerizing.

All the best,
    Sunnywood

• I'll be getting my archive of images from Brandon soon, so, I'll have Brandon's ever stellar images of it.....I remember him and maybe even us shooting that coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file