Home U.S. Coin Forum

My 6 year old YN grandson and some beginner's luck...

My little guy, Dylan, was at my house yesterday because of school cancellation, and brought all the change he's collected from Mom & Dad lately. We sat with his "penny" books and were sorting the coins out, when he held up a dime and asked me why it looked different. In his hand was an AU 1963 dime. I haven't found silver in so long, and there his first treasure after only a couple months of searching pocket change! I stapled it into a 2x2, wrote what it was on front, and the date of his first find on the back, and it went into his folder of "special coins". He was thrilled, so was I! I really do have a budding collector on my hands, finally. Neither of my kids were bitten by the bug, but he was!

As he's gone through my type-set books and learned what the various denominations are, I've given him one for his book. He was excited to see an 1893 Columbian Half because already in kindergarten, he's learned of Columbus and the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria. That was a coin in a jar my father-in-law left, so it quickly became his and he knows its history. My daughter woke up for work at 5:30 one morning recently to find him sitting in the living room, couldn't sleep... looking through his coin books!

So yes, I'm another proud grandparent - it's fun to have a little one to share my hobby with!

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.

Comments

• Sounds like a good time was had. Very nice story, thanks for sharing image
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    That is just awesome! I tried with my nephew, but he is more into watching football than coins. He once asked me, "what do you do with them?" I said.."look at them, and collect them". He says "then what?" image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Very cool for both of you image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the experiences are worth more than the coins themselves.................. I guess that is the essence of this hobby.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭
    Nice!. great to have some common interests with the grandkids

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love to hear of little ones getting excited about coins and what a great start your grandson has - good going Mar!
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Totally awesome!
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the story. It reminded me of when I was 8 yrs old and my great-grandmother pulling out a little box from her dresser and showing me a 1796 cent that was so big I couldn't believe it, as well as an 1858 cent with an eagle on it that was the wrong color... I now have both coins in my collection and will hopefully give them to a grandchild someday.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool... interesting to see kids at that age who pick up hobbies like this. Of course, it will be forgotten soon as he enters the discovery years (discovery of girls mainly) ... but likely to resurface later. Cheers, RickO
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is just awesome! I tried with my nephew, but he is more into watching football than coins. He once asked me, "what do you do with them?" I said.."look at them, and collect them". He says "then what?" image >>

Just for the hell of getting a reaction, I would have calmly replied "...and made thousands of dollars in profit!" and followed up with "...after I became thoroughly knowledgable in numismatics." image
    Dwayne Sessom
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always let my 3 year old son open the little packages that come in the mail.

He ALWAYS says my coins are BROKEN, image

• << <i>Thanks for sharing the story. It reminded me of when I was 8 yrs old and my great-grandmother pulling out a little box from her dresser and showing me a 1796 cent that was so big I couldn't believe it, as well as an 1858 cent with an eagle on it that was the wrong color... I now have both coins in my collection and will hopefully give them to a grandchild someday.
    zap >>

That's a very familiar story with me, too. My grandfather kept a lot of older coins in a coffee can. When I was probably 8 or 9, I'd beg him to get it out every time we'd visit. He'd tell me those big coins were pennies, but I thought at first he was kidding me - pennies weren't that big! He gave me a nice red 1909 cent once that I still have, but never got around to giving me more. There were 18 grandchildren, so maybe he was holding back in case others caught the bug. By the time he died at 90, caregivers in his home had cleaned him out. Sure would've loved to see that can again, after I understood what I was looking at.

Yes Ricko, I know before I blink twice, there will be girls in his life, likely sports as well. How I'm dreading the teenage years! My grands are from 6 down to 1 but time goes so fast. But if there is an interest in coins, it will resurface at some point. I didn't get serious again until my kids were raised.

The funny part of him wanting me to work on coins with him is that up until recently, he was PAPA's shadow. Papa's starting to feel a little neglected now!

• << <i>I always let my 3 year old son open the little packages that come in the mail.

He ALWAYS says my coins are BROKEN, image >>

Aww, I'm sorry your coins are broken! The worst I've received was a broken slab, sure glad it wasn't the coin! 3 year olds are a hoot; Dylan has a 3 y/o brother, Cameron, who isn't interested at all unless it goes into his piggy bank!

• << <i>Very cool... interesting to see kids at that age who pick up hobbies like this. Of course, it will be forgotten soon as he enters the discovery years (discovery of girls mainly) ... but likely to resurface later. Cheers, RickO >>

That is too funny. I collected from around 5 to 16. Then girls and cars took over. I did come back for a month or so here and there but did not fully return until I was in my 30's.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He ALWAYS says my coins are BROKEN, image >>

Maybe he's trying to convince you to give him these worthless, broken items.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Priceless!
  • Great story! I remember my grandfather giving me an old probably AG SLQ he found in his couch. Not worth much but I would never sell it either.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great story.

I remember being that age and spending hours looking through my grandfather's coins. He had rolls and rolls of different coins he pulled from circulation back in the 50s? He also had blue folders with coins, the only complete one was the Roosevelt dimes. I do not know how many times I opened, searched, and closed those rolls. He had a fair number of coins but he was not a buyer or seller of coins. Lots of good memories.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file