Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Is it just me or does this DMPL look quite a bit like a Proof?

SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, 4th thru 6th star to right of date are much too weak for a proof. Hair detail
    is too weak as well.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One heck of a cameo, though, assuming the pics are accurate. image
    Yesssir, that's for sure and I thought that 64 was really knocking it down a notch.

bob
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Looks better than most of the spotted, stained, barfed on impaired rejects we see on TT & eBay.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    I followed that coin on ebay, but didn't bid, as I have my $$ tied up in a not so good transaction at the moment.
    Did you get it?
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, 4th thru 6th star to right of date are much too weak for a proof. Hair detail
    is too weak as well.

bob >>

I don't think the coin looks like a Proof, but weak stars and/or weak hair don't necessarily disqualify a Morgan dollar as such.

Below is an image of a Proof 1882 Morgan Dollar - note the weak starsimage And I have seen many Proof Morgans with relatively weak hair detail.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feldini is OTM (on the money) with his observation that many proof Morgans are not fully struck. Seems most prevalent on 1890-93 issues.

In this particular case NFW

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • The OP pictures look very played with.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to judge such a distinction from the photograph would be very difficult.... that being said, I would tend to think it is not a proof. Cheers, RickO
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP pictures look very played with.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.....how so?

• sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    To me, it looks like a nice cameo dmpl. I think what may make it have the look of a proof is the toning deep in the crevices of the hair detail, which makes the strike appear stronger and that of a proof due to the contrast provided by that tone. There is a little haze it appears on the reverse, which makes me think the mirrors must really be "all there" to reflect thru the haze. Just my 2 cents.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
    Thanks Mark, I never quit learning!

bobimage

• << <i>The OP pictures look very played with.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.....how so? >>

I am seeing contrast and color temp adjustments that make the coin look more frosty than it really is. If you zoom the pic you can disect some areas of weak frost in the stars around 7am, the lettering from 11-1am and several splotches around the face and and neck. Also I think they contrasted out a lot of frost leak into the fields. I know individually these things dont neccesarily disqualify a proof per se but I think together they are producing that overall cleaner look to trick the eye.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    if I tip my lap top monitor back, the PCGS label turns a neon blue along with the cameo, when I do the same thing with the NGC, the label and coin just get creamier. Something is off balance in the OP's image that is creating something that is not as strong as it would naturally appear.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file