Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the lowest grade that you still like the look of for most circulated coins?

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
I usually don't like the look of most coins below VF-25/30,but this one changed that thought. This is my 1st coin of 2011 and my only Seated $. I am talking about coins from say about 1940 and older.

Trade $'s

Comments

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Depends upon the series. Probably the only grades that look bad nearly all the time are MS61 MS62
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin by the way.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    My minimum would be G4. Not that i would collect a jefferson nickel in that grade,lol. Just saying the minimum I would collect, like for a 1793 Cent.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    G6
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    F-12 for any profile portrait coin.
    Standing Liberty quarters: XF-45
    Liberty Seated: VF-20
    Walking Liberty: VF-20
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the lowest grade that you still like the look of for most circulated coins?

It really depends on the series, but in general the older the coin the more it appeals to me in a lower grade.

To the OP, I have no trouble with a seated dollar with that much meat left on it, and can see why you don't either. Nice coin. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My CC morgans look just great in F15 or so. Love the circulated cameo look to
    a pocket carried dollar!
    bob
    imageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Ditto on that it depends on the series. For that matter, individual dates can vary; one may have to tolerate lower grades when AU or MS examples cost more than a Lexus IS250. For small gold common dates, which would be a good benchmark reference for my collecting range, I would say XF40 would be a good cut-off. Below that, design details start to become noticeably blurred, making it hard to envision how the coin originally appeared.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually XF but I will make exceptions for the right coins.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If given only a choice of one grade or range then it would be Ch VF for most series as the lowest grade that I typically inspect or retain an interest in buying.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a Dansco book of original, evenly matched VG10's of almost any classic series looks great.
    Individually though I believe VF25 is the lowest I'm really a fan of.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • image Nice coin Dave
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    VF20 unless even that grade is out if my price range.

But even a low-grade coin still has to have eye-appeal.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor-01.
    Even they have a "beauty" I've come to appreciate.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF is where I always drew the line. Until I got interested in really early US coins. My chain cent is FR2. LOL.
    Lance.
  • VF in most series except for a lot of early draped bust material and early copper.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For most US coins, I would say VG, because G4 coins are usually flat and featureless on the portrait or their main design feature.

And yet I like Indian cents and some coins in G6.

I guess I'll say G6. A coin with at least a little bit of detail in the main design component. Well worn, but not totally flat. Full legends and rims on both sides.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, BTW, TNDave- that is a handsome Seated buck. It's a CircCam, y'know.

CircCam contrast can definitely help a lower grade coin look more appealing.

If that same coin had been dipped or polished white? Blegh. You'd lose all the contrast and it would look really flat. (Mind you, I'm not against dipping some pieces that need it, but people who'd clean something like this need a hard smack on the wrist.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Ideally, I like all my circulated coins in the VF-AU range. But if I had to, I would settle for a Good.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    In the past I've handled some very low grade coins like Chain Cents and Bust coins that have a lot of eye appeal even in grades as low as F02 and AG3. A lot of it depends on the uniformity of the wear and signs of discoloration.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Changes by series as many have said but overall I have a thing for AU58 coins.
  • I like the stories a lot of classic AG3's have to tell.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VF is where I always drew the line. Until I got interested in really early US coins. My chain cent is FR2. LOL. >>

I agree with this.....I have some pre-1800 large cents and half cents in Good and VG with decent planchets that look just fine to me!
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AG-3s have character.

Tom

• I rarely buy circulated coins.....
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For common coins I want a Gem. For scarce coins I try to get VF or better. For rare coins I like em down to VG. For very rare coins, any grade (or even "no grade") is beautiful to me

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Generally, Fine or Very Fine; however, for gold I prefer EF or better.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Poor-01.
    Even they have a "beauty" I've come to appreciate. >>

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF-35
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    For Bust Series I only by AU or better, unless very rare, then XF40.

Classic Commems I only buy MS63 or better.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the looks of PO01 Morgan Silver dollars and PO01 of all Seated coinage in regular circulatee coinage. Of course PO01 commems would be my first choice.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some coins look better with a bit of wear, others look like chit. Maybe I am just used to seeing Buffers worn out, but I like that look on them - they got long hard use.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a hard question. It really depends on the series, but generally speaking I'd say F12 is about the lower limit that I like. On certain coins such as Lincoln cents and Morgan dollars, I think anything below AU50 looks like ass - but maybe it's because MS examples are so plentiful in those series.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every since I got my first grading book as a kid collector (the thrid edition of the Brown and Dunn book in the mid 1960s) and started to learn about grading, my minimum grade for most things has been FIne. As an adult I have tried to go no lower than VF, but when this 1796 half dollar came along in Fine-15, I pulled the trigger. The last I knew this coin was pictured on the Coin Facts site as an example of the Fine-15 grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU, as not to many major errors get past that point.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the past I've handled some very low grade coins like Chain Cents and Bust coins that have a lot of eye appeal even in grades as low as F02 and AG3. A lot of it depends on the uniformity of the wear and signs of discoloration. >>

image totally

Along the same line I've handled two 1794 S$1's that would (gasp) No-Grade. OK, VF details, but in an extreme rarity my condescension is vitiated by reverence.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

In general, FINE is fine with me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • A fun coin PCGS AG3
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking VF.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file