Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the grade - 1917 T1 SLQ - Grade revealed!

dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just picked up a "new" 1917 Type 1 Standing Liberty quarter, and I was so impressed with it I thought I'd post it up and play "Guess the grade!" (Always a fun time!) image

It is in PCGS plastic, and I'll post the grade later this evening.

Dwayne Sessom

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with 66.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Au58 very nice
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one. Grades will be all over the map. I think the true grade is between 61 to 63.

MS62 FH.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to tell from the photos. If I had to guess, I would say 63FH.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 fh
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any rub, but the luster looks subdued on the obv, so I'll give it a 63FH
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...it deserves a at least a 65. those rivets told me to say that. imageimage coin for sure!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Difficult to tell from the photos. If I had to guess, I would say 63FH. >>

Tom

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Difficult to tell from the photos

I DONT image Those are top notch photos. I hope you were being sarcastic. Easily 65FH
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65FH
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65FH image
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the luster is all there it looks 67 to me.image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Difficult to tell from the photos. If I had to guess, I would say 63FH. >>

Need a high resolution version? Click here for a 4X higher res version.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65FH. Nice strike and pretty coin!
    Lance.
    Any one else want to take a stab? One guess came close, but nobody nailed it yet...
    Dwayne Sessom
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    66 FH?
    Very clean with only the most minute imperfections. Unless there is a trace of wear and muted luster, I'll stick with my grade.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    63fh
  • Since all grades from 61-67 have been guessed and are not right, I'll go up by one and say 68
    Kevin D Smithwick, MBA

www.KevinDSmithwick.com
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    p.s. that is my "guess" and not at all what I would have "graded" the coin from the photos. I would have graded the coin a 63FH for slight high-point rub on leg, hip, and breast.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

OK, nobody got it exactly right, but darktone came closest. I got this coin because it looks every bit as good as some 64FH's I have seen, and even a few 65FH's. But a whole lot less money...

I just LOVE AU64's! image
    Dwayne Sessom
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    MAN! I need to brush up on my SLQ grading LOL. Still a very nice coin. Congrats!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't submit a quess as I found the thread after you had posted the grade. It's basically a uncirculated coin that someone has rubbed up with a hankerchief (?) enough to give it a bright look on the high points and perhaps making the field luster a bit mottled. I would have guessed right (yeah, I know, 20/20 hindsite). This type of coin used to be referred to as having cabinet friction, only just a tiny bit in this case. Real nice coin and you did well.
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Dang! I wish you hadn't posted the grade, I was going to guess AU58FH!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Great coin. Sure beats Washington's profile. I have a 1917-D T1 that has an ANACS photograde of either a 55 or 58. I'll have to dig out the cert. I plan to get it graded by PCGS soon. It's probably my favorite design.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Dwayne! You have really been on a roll this week. Congrats.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not peeking by scrolling down, since the answer must be posted below, I will guess ... 64 FH.

And now scroll down to see how far off I was...

(After scrolling down)

AHA! Well, I wondered at first if it might be a 58, but I didn't see any rub.

Congratulations on picking up one helluva nice slider! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good call by the graders. Look at the sash just below the lt. corner of Miss Liberty's rt. breast and you'll see just a tiny bit of wear.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty nice for a 58.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Difficult to tell from the photos

I DONT image Those are top notch photos. I hope you were being sarcastic. Easily 65FH >>

The photos are nice, just difficult to grade from. I like a little more closeup for grading.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's pretty nice for a 58. >>

I nominate morgandollar1878 for the "Understatement of the Week" award.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tuning in and not sure how I missed this thread...

It's a great looking AU64 as not all AU58's or even AU58+'s are the same.

I this summer traded a B&M dealer one like this and got 150% back towards a hard times token I wanted.

With the amount of time he spent looking for rub with a loupe I bet that was cracked and marked as a raw MS63/64FH before I left his parking lot.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I love AU64's! Nice addition Dwayne.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Thanks for all the replies! I am certainly thrilled with it. I have looked at this coin under a loupe for what seemed like an hour and I cannot see any rub. I'm sure it's there, but I just don't see why graders would grade it 58 for rub that is undetectable with the naked eye, and hard to spot even under a loupe - but I'm glad they do since it allows collectors of limited means like myself to have MS looking coins at a lower price. image
    Dwayne Sessom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file