Home U.S. Coin Forum

1,916 Lincoln cent - Anyone seen this before?

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was shown to me by Rick DeSanctis of Numismatic Classics at the FUN show. The triangular die chip is very well defined and should show up on any grade coin.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting - I've never seen it before.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen that one either. Has anyone done photo overlays to figure out what the comma is?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does a die chip add any value to a coin like this?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is it would be of interest/value because of its position - punctuated date.

It looks like a perfect triangle, maybe a square rod hit into the die at an angle (the back of a punch?)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not seen that before.... not sure where it could have come from, but being 'raised', there should certainly be more of them out there. Cheers, RickO
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty neat. Never seen one in my 70yrs.
  • TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I have seen it I think its in the cherry pickers?
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not in either the 4th or 5th Edition of Cherry Pickers that I have.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Unusual and attractive. I would think that one is worth investigating.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the strike I'd wager that the die was fairly new. Interesting how it would chip being so brand spanky.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question would be,were has it been for all these years.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Rick D. will be at Long Beach, I'd like to
    see the coin in-hand and up close..........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question would be,where has it been for all these years. >>

Me too.....
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Interesting and oddly I just found this going through some wheats today. Check under Liberty
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not in either the 4th or 5th Edition of Cherry Pickers that I have.
    Jim >>

...yeah but what about your 'cheery' picker? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Cool, never seen one either, and have searched thousands of wheat bags.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'RIT' chip, similar to the 'BIE' was fairly common back in the 50's.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks more like an impression in the die than a break off die chip. Very straight edges, sharp angle, etc.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.
    I can't say I have seen it before and I have looked at thousands of 1916's
    And I would have put this aside if I had seen it.
    Interesting.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • I've got some '58-Ds out of the same BU roll with a similarly-shaped "chip" in between the 9 and the 5. I put that term in quotes because I'm not entirely sure these are chips. Reason is, the 9 and 5 aren't distorted in any way. This just looks like a sharp, triangular piece of metal, lodged in between the 9 and the 5. Mine are all from the same die pairing (obverse, interior crack on the head; reverse, chip at the bottom of the T in CENTS). Mine are sharper than yours, too, but, then, my coins are younger than yours. All I have available to me right now is a scanner, and it's insufficient to show the necessary detail. I will tell you, though, if yours is indeed from the die, while it will repeat, of course, your chances of ever finding another are just about non-existent. I lucked out, getting them all out of the same old, BU roll.

At any rate, good luck in the eternal quest...
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like tool damage to the die. I really like it!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

• << <i>Looks like tool damage to the die. I really like it! >>

I'd love to get more information on that. I have a IHC I showed with a strange cut in it and I'm personally still 50-50 on whether it's PMD, as was where the tread had left it, or whether it's, rather, tooling, and, if so, post-strike or pre-strike (i.e., tooling to the die/hub, itself)? I'd love to see a detailed description on the various ways in which they modify dies/hubs, the types of tools they use, etc.

Hey, when you find one on the Internet, let me know? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file