Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would MS70 get rid of this tarnish?

Curious as to whether or not MS70 would work to remove this type of unattractive toning or not. Thanks.

Comments

• I would so no chance...you would have to use an acidic dip like e-zest etc to remove it.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    MS70 can lighten up the toning considerably but will not completely remove it. Swab the coin with MS70 first, rinse thoroughly then dip in E-Zest.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    It might lighten it up a bit but dip would be so much easier.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know where this swabbing thing started (I know it's on the bottle). Put a teaspoon of MS70 in a cereal bowl and add water. Dunk coin. 10 secs will not hurt your hand, or buy latex gloves ($10 per hundred). Rinse thoroughly. Don't forget to put on the drain cover in your sink.

I think you will get very hard lustrous centers with a smattering of nondescript innocuous toning at the rims. I doubt you will get as good an effect for mint state coins with this process.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dip it?

The coin looks original to me. If you dip it all you will get is a white coin with some small marks where the tarish used to be.

Of course the "white coin" people will think that it's lovely, and it seems like a lot of Washington qurter colletors fall into that camp.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that's MS not proof. Poor picture, old eyes. MS just dip it in E-Z-est, then rinse. Dilute the E-Z-est 1st.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    if you want to blast it, dip it

MS-70 could take a lot of time all by itself and probably won't get it all. i liked the Ms 70 first to see what comes off then a quick dip for the rest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file