Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bank paper weight w/ a BU Morgan in it

p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
My grandmother passed away and I found several of these bank paper weights in the back of her safe. I know that these pre-date 1981 as First National Bank of Oregon was acquired then but does anyone have an idea as to when these were made? Is there any monetary value other than the BU 1921 Morgan in it?

Comments

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sentimental value?
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very kool item... Thanks for sharing it. image
  • Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a really clean/high grade 21 to me.image Any MM on the rev?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had and sold several. Once I had a nice hot lips and it sold at a very nice premium.
    Several bidders wanted the coin. As I recall it was a International Harvester paperweight.
    It crossed over to other collecting/collectors.
    You do see them from time to time on ebay.
    I would think that yours is worth $40-75. Lower side if not much interest and higher side
    if a few bidders that worked for the old bank!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    These will bring about $100 as advertising or bank related items on ebay. Don't list them under coins.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    We have one in a hexagonal shaped holder with a 22 Peace in it, as well as an egg timer. Don't remember the bank, don't have pics either as it's in my Dad's horde 2500 miles away.

I remember trying to crack it open with a hammer as a kid, but didn't make a dent in the lucite.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucite coin embedments were very big in the 1960's.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coin... It could be removed from the lucite with chemistry... Cheers, RickO
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Cool piece! Do not break it out they are worth more left intact. If you are to remove more than likely you will be left with just a cleaned piece of silver
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres a few banks here in connecticut that did that. there pretty neat to have around. i like the ones with the cent's in them as well

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file