Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cool old slab........Walking Liberty Half. Offer a grade.

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are better photos of that early Slab I picked up off the bay. Care to offer an opinion as to grade and overall thoughts of the coin.

This was the seller's photo.

Here are my photos.

imageimage

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have owned a few of these on the past. Was DH David Hall? I think I asked this question a few years back. My guess is 63-64.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks 64 to me... a few too many little ticks for 65 - How's the luster?
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks 64 to me... a few too many little ticks for 65 - How's the luster? >>

Average for the date.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58.
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>AU58. >>

There is no wear on the coin.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks 65 to me.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64+ Can't tell if it's well struck tho...
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I think it's 65 easy.

Some of the in-house grading from honest major dealers from the 1980s - before PCGS - Hannes Tulving, Blanchard, David Hall, NCI (Heritage) was quite strict. Today people consider it "shameless self slabbing" without even looking at the quality of the coins or the reputation of the dealer that graded it.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • I vote 65 minus, but not in a bad way, just sdaying it looks better than 64+
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
    I paid $55 for it shipped, so not really much downside, or upside for that matter. It is what it is; A pleasing, uncirculated common date walking from the 40's.

Sorry about the reverse photo, my white balance was screwed up. It doesn't have bluish look in person.

JJ
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with the certificate. Looks 65-ish to me. My initial thoughts were 64, but when I saw they'd graded it 65, I couldn't really find enough on there to disagree.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I'd call it a 65 as well.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a cool old "slab". I've never seen one like that before. Hopefully, you won't crack it out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64, shot 65.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    ms 64
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65... nice coin except for the tarnish.... Cheers, RickO
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any bets that the outter cover of that "slab" is PVC?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>Any bets that the outter cover of that "slab" is PVC?image >>

Deffinately soft plastic. I'm suprised that the cardboard did not tone the coin. The photos show the same toning that it has today.
  • I have to laugh how they warn you about storage of the coin and they have it "slabbed" in cardboard!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file