Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this 1796 quarter auction

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
Opinions on this coin... think it's real, or one of those copies with the "copy" worn off and artificially aged?

Link to ebay auction

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go anywhere near it is my advice...I can't tell a thing from the photos, but just move along
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass.

My first reaction was that it's an intentionally beat-up fake.
    When in doubt, don't.

• I'd pass. There are known low grade cast copies, and I suspect that one might just be. You may also ask the seller for an image of the 'made in China' stamp image
  • Fake, stay away
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, positively, counterfeit.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like you can see traces of the word COPY on the reverse
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I checked some completed listings from this seller, and for some reason, his images for them tended to be much clearer than for the 1796 Quarter. But surely, that must be a coincidence.image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date numerals are about as fake as they come. The image could be a lot fuzzier and it wouldn't matter.

But heaven help us when the counterfeiters start to make accurate date logos.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutely, positively, counterfeit. >>

That is what I thought. Especially the.... DENTICLES on the reverse on the last image...
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The numismatists who have much greater knowledge than I have spoken and I would take them at their word.

For my take . . . if you can't spell the word "exist" . . . Pass.

Drunner
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image..Can make out a clear "C"(After enlarge),same place as myword copy is. imageimage
  • Some poor idiot is going to pay real money for that. Should we be calling ebay and reporting this?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • You would think it's a dead giveaway that it's not a real 1796, but If you look at the bid history it seems that even a few dealers are being fooled. The reverse especially on that one screems out fake to me. I wouldn't even need to pull out mine to compare. I guess if you wear the coin down well enough and fuzz out the images you could fool some.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • I just reported this with Ebay. Saved someone from spending their hard earned money on a fake.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    That's one bad counterfeit!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eBay coin shows 8 X 5 stars on obverse...imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like that from people touching it with 10-foot poles.

Fake!

Cheers,

Bob
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of y'all spotted it as a fake right off, apparently, but I must confess that I honestly couldn't tell from those pictures. I had to paste them into a photo editing program and brighten them. Having done that, yeah- it looks bad. And as Coinlearner pointed out, it sorta looks like there might be a residual "C" from the COPY stamp remaining?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob! What the hell are you doing up at 2:15AM?
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image....In case someone here is biding it up ..$1800 so far. It does have a return policy,so maybe the buyer will notice.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    At this price, do we assume that the buyer will be a coin collector and know that it is fake as soon as they get it 'in hand' or will it be a fool that thinks they are getting a great deal (as all the coin collectors that know better are avoiding this coin)?

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I see a few possibilities:

It might be real and the buyer will be glad most of us were wrong.
    It will be fake and the buyer won't know and keep it for years.
    The buyer will figure out it's fake and return it.
    The buyer will learn that next time he spends $1800 it should be in a genuine slab.

Ed
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buh-bye!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Well it turned out the 5th possible outcome.

They yanked the auction.

Ed
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Even if eBay hadn't yanked the auction, nobody was going to get burned.

(If you get my drift).

Russ, NCNE
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if eBay hadn't yanked the auction, nobody was going to get burned.

(If you get my drift).

Russ, NCNE >>

Someone got burned - the last person holding the coin. I have given up buying coins on eBay. Fake coins turned me on to graded coins. Fake slabs killed that...
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Even if eBay hadn't yanked the auction, nobody was going to get burned.

(If you get my drift).

Russ, NCNE >>

Someone got burned - the last person holding the coin. I have given up buying coins on eBay. Fake coins turned me on to graded coins. Fake slabs killed that... >>

The last person holding the coin is this seller, and he obviously knew it is a fake.

Russ, NCNE
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    It just goes to show ya, you have to look out for yourself
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It just goes to show ya, you have to look out for yourself >>

Or have this forum do it for you.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks guys!

how about This One?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the pics and the condition, which translates into...run! Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole!!!
  • Now that new one, I have no idea. It could be a ceramic project gone bad for all i can tell. I'm not reporting that one. What you see is what you get.image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks guys!

how about This One? >>

I bet even a NY parking meter would reject that one Baley
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice space shot photograph. It could be a moldy shortbread cookie, for all I know.

At that starting price, in that condition, with that picture, surely nobody is dumb enough to touch that with a 300-foot pole. Surely.

Then again, it IS eBay.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file