Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this Franklin Half

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
I do not own this coin. It is for sale at Northeastcoin.com. I'm considering buying it (unless someone grabs it up first) image

Anyone care to grade it? What are your thoughts about the strike and general eye-appeal? Any opinions welcomed.

imageimage

Comments

• 65 fbl - hard to tell from the image
  • Thick, original skin but not a fan of those slide marks on the chin and cheek.

• << <i>not a fan of those slide marks on the chin and cheek. >>

But if they don't bother you, Joe... go for it! Because it looks like a nice coin otherwise.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64fbl
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a 66? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>64fbl >>

Agreed! image
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .....pass too
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well struck white '48-D's are fairly common. Go to your local B&M or a show and check out the raw Frankies. You've got a good chance of finding a MS64FBL for chump change.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a coin that I think has a handsome look, but not one that has a popular look.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am not familiar with their photography

I do not see much luster - but if it is there and blazing, could do as high as 66
    if as dull as I see pic, down to as low as 64

probably fbl but could just be missing to left of crack, whih would bump grade 1/2

strike is so-so, I would expect more hair definition near the ear on the first year issue

eye appeal to me is based on luster
    not many marks, fields very clean, a couple scrapes on cheek
    other marks probably on slab

not sure what you are looking for to advise on whether to buy or not (or the price and what you are willing to spend)

I am pretty sure with looking awhile, you could get a similar raw one on eBay for $30 or so
    (unless the pic from northeastcoin makes this half look much worse than it is)
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The coin went thru the counting machine at least once. The slices off his cheek are evidence of it. On the other side of the coin (no pun intended) I really like the srtrike on the bell!
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin went thru the counting machine at least once. The slices off his cheek are evidence of it. On the other side of the coin (no pun intended) I really like the srtrike on the bell! >>

How could you know that a counting machine was THE cause of the "slices off his cheek"?
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin, but in a 66 grade I would want one with a cleaner cheek.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Pass!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • I'll go with MS64 FBL; pass
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass... looks as if it stayed in the urinal too long.... Cheers, RickO
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Pass... looks as if it stayed in the urinal too long.... Cheers, RickO >>

Golden Shower toning... ummmmm?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Some of the most blatant overgrades I have ever seen in PCGS plastique have been 48-Ds. This is better than some I have seen, but you can find a better example.

Looks like the bell lines may not be all there? in the pixx anyway...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Is that a fingerprint on the reverse, below the eagle?
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell how deep the hits are on the obverse cheek and in front of the nose in the field. Also there is haze on the reverse. How heavy, you can't tell from the picture. Doesn't look too promising for a 66.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 48D's I've seen always come well struck.
    Nice 64fbl
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

• i'VE SEEN THIS COIN ON THE NE WEBSITE.IT'S AN NGC66 FBL.IT'S OVERGRADED.THE CHATTER ON THE CHEEK KILLS IT.SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>All 48D's I've seen always come well struck.
    Nice 64fbl >>

........I think you pegged it image

• << <i>I do not own this coin. It is for sale at Northeastcoin.com. I'm considering buying it (unless someone grabs it up first) image

Anyone care to grade it? What are your thoughts about the strike and general eye-appeal? Any opinions welcomed.

imageimage >>

MS64 FBL.

Nice coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file