Home U.S. Coin Forum

Today's Silver finds... + a clad bonus!

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's today's box o' halves. This was a pretty above average search.
I've only ever found 1 Walker and 1 Franklin before. Most of my finds are 40% with a few 90% mixed in.
The last two boxes prior to this one, I found a total of 3-40% halves.
It starts to feel like a waste of time pretty quickly when that happens... still in the last 7 or 8 boxes, I have found
$17 face value in 40% halves and $6.50 in 90%... not bad at all in my opinion.

So I was very happy to see this one oddball piece sticking out.
I saved that roll for last, holding on to hope that half the roll was full of them.
The other end of the roll was a plain jane 90's kennedy.
It's always cool to see more than one silver edge when you rip that paper off.
There were two in this roll below.

Those were both 40% pieces. I had found them after only unwrapping about 5 rolls,
so I was optimistic about the rest of the box.
Next, I stumbled across this bright edge and knew right away it was 90%.
I was super surprised to see it was a 1962 Franlkin.
About a thrid of the way through, I found this strange looking thing...
My first thought was that I had found a huge error clipped half.
As it turns out, it's an alcoholic token with the "God grant me the serenity..." prayer.
So... here's my total from the box - 3-90% halves (64 Kennedy, 1962 Franklin and a 1943 D Walker) I also found 6 40% pieces.

Last but not least, I don't search for Kennedy varieties and only know of a couple off the top of my head.
One of them is the missing designer initials on the back of a 1972-D.
The reverses of the 70's coins stick out among the others and are easy to spot.
Like I said, I don't search through any with a loupe but as I'm passing the unwrapped roll from one hand to the other,
I glance at those that I happen to see. I've been doing this a long time and sure enough,
today I finally spot one that is missing the initials.
I don't know what this may be worth in this condition, but it's pretty darn rare as I understand it.
Can anyone tell me if this is indeed one of the missing initial varieties? There is evidence of heavy polish lines...
At a slight angle, you can almost make out their impression.

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good day! Nothing like the joy of those Silver edges when you open a roll. Found my first Walker last Friday while doing some roll searching, in about the same condition as yours.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, I think you have black hand syndrome.image
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too! Love seeing that silver!
    $10 vs 0.50c
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds! If I could ever get my hands on a box, it would be a great day for me, as most of the Kennedys are missing from my collection. Finding a Walker would just be an extra added bonus!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed.... well done. I have never had any luck searching rolls of halves. Cheers, RickO
  • tander123tander123 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    I just went through 2 $500 boxes and found NOTHING! For me, it was a waste of time.
    Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    What do you do with them after you searched them?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice finds! If I could ever get my hands on a box, it would be a great day for me, as most of the Kennedys are missing from my collection. Finding a Walker would just be an extra added bonus! >>

I've been temted a bunch of times to get myself a cheapo album and start plugging away. I can't tell you how
    many nice, bright AU58's I've tossed back in the bag.

<< <i>What do you do with them after you searched them? >>

I take them back of course. image I purchase them at one branch and take them back to another.
    The few tellers I deal with are all pretty cool with it. I got them all starbucks cards for Christmas, that helped quite a bit.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from what I've read on here, true no "FG" coins have absolutely no traces of the "FG"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>I just went through 2 $500 boxes and found NOTHING! For me, it was a waste of time. >>

Ya, if I wasn't filling out the Whitman folders, me going through your $1k a second time would have been even a bigger waste of time!
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I did a box for the first time last month. Pulled a franklin half, and 12 40% kennedys.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walkers and Frankies and 90%, oh my! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Nice haul. If you had 5-6 boxes... you'd see each one contain that much. It's a hit or miss.. Either you get a lot or almost nothing. Good feeling to know you have "something" when you see that after opening the box. About a month ago I had 3, 64's in one roll.

These are the exact same boxes that I get in every week.... they just changed the style of them. I always pull at least 10 gems out of the several boxes that I go through. Sold a few 82-p's for some good $. On the 82-p there is a designation for the die state that has about 95% of the initials gone. ADR-002 if I remember correctly. I'll let you know in 5 days what that die state is worth.. it's worth image

O, one more thing. I got a box two weeks ago that was a roll short!!!! Couldn't get my $ back either... so what I do now is open them right at the teller window to make sure they are all there before I go.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice job buddy. last one i got was a goose egg.
    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Oh the joys of roll hunting...

Of the many, many boxes I have searched some of the highlights were:

About a roll of walkers, about 4 rolls of franklins. Best walker was a 1921 S (G4 condition), 2 1970 Proof JFKs (never found a buisiness strike) about 15 1987 P/D. These just jumped out at me from the edges, very clean. Almost a complete date run of impaired proofs. I probably found about 25 - 30 of the dates needed to do this (1970 - 2010). I even found a proof 2008 in the year 2008, it was very weird?!?!?

Overall I must have found about $150 face of 90% and about $250 face of 40%. Unfortunately I sold them all when silver was 10 - 12 times face for 90%.

Now, the real winners are the bags from the coin star machines, you can do REAL good with these. When you catch a good bag, that just had an old "jar of coins" dumped in you could pull about $30 - $50 face of 40% or 90% from one bag of $500. Well worth the time.

In these my highlights were about 25 dollars 2009 Sacagewea Dollars, 15 - 20 dollars face of other US modern coinage, 10 Euro, 5 Pound Sterling and about 5 each of Canadian and Australian Dollars. A silver commemorative from Ireland (Easter Rising if you are familiar) and the highlight.....one mans wedding ring 18K gold.

Those were the days....maybe I should start searching again?!?!?!?
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy money as far as I'm concerned. It takes less than an hour to go through a box just checking the edges.
    I try and go through 2 boxes a week... some are better than others. The last year or so I've been doing this, I've
    probably found $60-$70 face in 40% (I sell those locally) and $25-$30 90%. (I keep those as part of my dollar cost average plan for
    piling up the silver)
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    But is it worth it to re-roll a thousand coins in wrappers?

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But is it worth it to re-roll a thousand coins in wrappers? >>

As long as you don't destroy the wrappers, yes.

My bank prefers receiving them in $1,000 coin plastic bags.

As for the 72-D No FG, from your photo, I can barely makeout that its grease filling but could very well be wrong. If you find ANY trace of the FG, it won't attribute.

Below are the obverse die markers for a No FG coin. Every No FG I've seen has these markers.

Below is a shot of the Missing Initials Area.

Note that there is no trace of an FG.

Perhaps some close ups of your coin are in order as I know of at least one fellow that is actively seeking this variety.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    That walker sure looks sweet sitting in that box of rolls!
  • I have never found a silver in any of the hunting I have done. Maybe I need a new bank.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file