Home U.S. Coin Forum

anyone order their 2011 proof sets today?

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Cheers, RickO
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I do want the proof cent though. I still need the proof 2010 for the dansco also. I will pick these up from ebay after the frenzy settles down.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i'm shootin' for the silver. i think on the 25th image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Pass....
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for the Mint set in a couple of weeks to save on shipping.
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered 6 sets for the store
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll wait for the Mint set in a couple of weeks to save on shipping. >>

Ditto!

JH
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else forget to cancel their subscriptions?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty early for the secondary market to have these quite a bit cheaper by fall, I'd think.
  • nada
  • JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I take it that the subject set is the clad junk?
    oklahomakid
  • Nope, I cancelled all my subscriptions and I'm done with overpriced, worthless products. And you know what, after 40 years it's feelin' pretty good.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will try to hold off all my orders, till they offer the mint sets, & silver proof sets later on... Just to save on the postage & handling.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I take it that the subject set is the clad junk? >>

Silver Proof sets go on sale 1/25/11.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!

First post since you joined in January 2007?

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Nahh, I'll just buy a PDS set of cents cut from sets in the aftermarket.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • I did not buy any proof sets last year, just two silver sets. That's all the mint will get out of me again this year unless they come up with something real special.

Thank goodness I've only got one group of '99-'09 MS sets and one '09 proof set left to sell and I'll be down to NO run-of-the-mill mint stuff left. Shameless plug, PM me!

I wish there was a better way to warn newbies about the hazard of initially going overboard for some of this stuff, ...from one who knows. image

I hope your housecleaning for 2010 went well.
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    My girlfriend and I each ordered the 2010 mint set and 2010 unc. National Parks quarter set last year.
    When they arrived everything was crap. Bits of stray cardboard and dust, human hair and who knows what else covered the coins. There wasn't a single nice coin worth keeping. Everything got sent back for a refund. So I'll never order sets from the mint again.
    Later my girlfriend bought a nice looking 2010 mint set at a coin show cheaper than the mint charged.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, I cancelled all my subscriptions and I'm done with overpriced, worthless products. And you know what, after 40 years it's feelin' pretty good. >>

Same here, I'm done throwin' money at Ye Olde Mint

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I'm gonna wait and see how much my state quarters rise, before committing more money.

<< <i>I'm gonna wait and see how much my state quarters rise, before committing more money. >>

...i trust you're talkin' about the silver ones? image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 for the coin shop
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>100 for the coin shop >>

Ditto... gotta have 'em for the folks. We'll be doing the same with the silvers later this month.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, I cancelled all my subscriptions and I'm done with overpriced, worthless products. And you know what, after 40 years it's feelin' pretty good. >>

Me too after that experience with the 2010 W proof eagles. I just got all my money back. I don't want their garbage any more.
  • Meh. I have little to no interest in clad coinage at the moment.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    The US Mint's website doesn't say if they are silver proofs (they aren't) but says they are polished etc. They're junk, coins for a third world country. Silver when it was in circulation made one feel like they ahd something in their pocket, heavy, a nice ring placing the money on the sales counter and really looked good. I wish they'd never done away with silver but today if they minted silver, there wouldn't be any around because we'd all be saving them. I don't know of any country that has silver in circulation. Course, I could say that gold should be but....
    Actually, I agree with one of the politicians that we should go back to the gold standard. Sigh...those were the good old days. When I was poor I had a $20 gold certificate and rather than spend it I gave it to a friend for $20, it really didn't matter because if I'd kept it, my son would have taken it...
    oklahomakid
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI... we got our sets today (1/17) via UPS. Ordered on the 11th. That's warp speed turnaround for the Mint.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    I have a subscription for one proof and one uncirc set. I was doing 3 of each until several years ago.
  • BeeManBeeMan Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    I stopped getting proof sets last year.
    Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    The general census of sentiments could be that they are over priced, waste of money, can be purchased cheaper later like most other mint products.....This would be my opinion too.

YET, if we think it, and the general public feels it too, then maybe orders will be less this year and it will be a lower mintage. Oh wait, that is me trying to dig too deep here. I think we are in a period of collecting where regarding moderm Mint products; if there are 800,000 sets or 1,200,000 sets, it makes little difference to collectors in the secondary market. That used to mean more to collectors years ago including myself. It still seems like if any number available in the hundreds of thousands it is just too many right now. I understand that these are made to order, but still the secondary market is very soft for prior issues. Proof and Uncirculated sets just seem like a waste of money these days and have been in general for a while. Sure, there are some winners like the 1999 Silver, but still.

With all that being said, I forgot about my subscription and it filled. So be it, I suppose.
  • MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelled for 2011 - I'll pick them up at a show where I can get a nice set.

Maine_Jim
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got my sets today also 1/17
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

...i was looking on the mint web site to change my subscriptions (cut some out) but couldn't find the info

except for calling into customer service. are we not able to adjust the subscriptions on-line? anyone knowimage

thanks for any help. image

• << <i>...i was looking on the mint web site to change my subscriptions (cut some out) but couldn't find the info

except for calling into customer service. are we not able to adjust the subscriptions on-line? anyone knowimage

thanks for any help. image >>

Sign in to "my account" go to "my subscriptions" There is a hyper-link on that page for "cancel subscription"

You can't lower the subscription quantity though. You need to cancel one and create another one for the correct amount.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The general census of sentiments could be that they are over priced, waste of money, can be purchased cheaper later like most other mint products.....This would be my opinion too. >>

The ONLY reason I order Proof and Unc Sets, anymore, is for the lottery ticket possibility on getting an error. Other than that, the quality generally sucks and the sets are way over priced.

I'm also not a big fan of these multi-lens sets and have a big disdain for the packaging on the UNC Sets. They're bulky and cumbersome and difficult to store. However, I am elated that they dropped that Satin Finish since the quality was terrible on most of the coins and it created nothing but SMS/NON-SMS contention at the grading services.

Oh yeah, my 5 set subscription "just" shipped today. Prolly cause I canceled my standing 10 set subscription and opened a 5 set subscription shortly after the pricing announcement.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>...i was looking on the mint web site to change my subscriptions (cut some out) but couldn't find the info

thanks for any help. image >>

Sign in to "my account" go to "my subscriptions" There is a hyper-link on that page for "cancel subscription"

You can't lower the subscription quantity though. You need to cancel one and create another one for the correct amount. >>

...thanks res. image

• << <i>I will try to hold off all my orders, till they offer the mint sets, & silver proof sets later on... Just to save on the postage & handling. >>

Same here!!! image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally opened my 2011 proof set.

I'm glad I did.

"rinse spot" free on every coin!

best set yet.

plus, they stopped the carboard inserts. no more flecks of cardboard.

also, the plastic cases are easier to open. (still using the same method: twist to get a gap and then use a box cutter)

I found this out because I thought I had a killer strike through, but it was just a defect on the inner plastic insert.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a set today and was a little disappointed in the quarters. The designs are so full that there is very little mirror field to contrast the frosted image. The Olympic and Glacier were the worst from that aspect, with just a little sky above the mountains. I suspect that they will look better on the circulating version, but the Proof just doesn't cut it.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file