Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When you die, will you direct your executor to have coins placed on your eyelids?

If yes, what coins would you want used? Slabbed or raw? PCGS or NCG? Would you prefer a full Viking funeral complete with flaming ship cast off into the sea and a coin-doctor dog at your feet?

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I guess it all depends on who kills me?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I die, I am sure I will not be doing anything after the fact.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i would think everything would depend on what kind of insurance policy was in effect at the time. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Nah, what a waste of coins.
    Paul
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reason to melt them.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure! My pics!?

My 2004 and 2006 proof platinum $50 coins, counterstamped with my name, DOB and DOD.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Yes two seated quarters one and 1838 and 1891-S. The start and the end of my all time favorite series. The reason the last coin is an S is because thats my favorite mint from the series.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Since I will probably bite the dust soon, the topic of burial has come up once or twice recently. I think the thought of me rotting has my wife upset, so I thinkI will probably be roasted. I wonder if she could have my ashes verified if I had a platinum coin tossed into the mix???

Or could she send my ashes into the refinery and get a BigE coin backimage---------BigEimage
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told my family that I want to be cremated.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, because I want Cheron to row me quickly across the River Styxs, the river that separates the world of the living from the world of the dead.

A couple of obolus should do the trick.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, my two favorite places: Yellowstone and Yosemite. Slabbed hockey pucks!

Can you imagine someone digging me up in say a thousand years?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    No, I'll give them to my grandkids. They will be able to see them, I won't.
    Bob

• Options
    No. Where I'm going they would probably melt anyway.image

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I superglued a couple indian head cents to my eyelids, when I croak, I'm set!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I superglued a couple indian head cents to my eyelids, when I croak, I'm set! >>

Both heads up, tails up, or combo, one heads, one tails, what year? 1877?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a lincoln penny on my belly button.........
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want a lincoln penny on my belly button......... >>

We aught to be able put together a collection for you and get one of those new Shield types for you.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I want a lincoln penny on my belly button......... >>

We aught to be able put together a collection for you and get one of those new Shield types for you. >>

ah yes a shiny new lincoln penny on my belly button...
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I will sell all my coins before I die and spend baby spend!!

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    There were actually seated quarters used to keep Abraham Lincoln's eyes closed. Heritage had them up for auction a few years ago.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There were actually seated quarters used to keep Abraham Lincoln's eyes closed. Heritage had them up for auction a few years ago. >>

Link, please?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago I done Civil War reenactment photography....and one particular macabre instance was when some of the troops reenacted an execution, with the dead soldier ending up laying in a pine box. They put coins on his eyes.

One of the other vendors, he was amazed by this and asked me to do an ambrotype (image on glass) of the guy dead in the box.

OK. Bring out my camera, get in close, and took the shot, and the guy paid me my $40 and he had his picture.

Two weeks later I ran into him setting up at another event (it was like a circuit) and we started talking about that plate. He told me it seemed a little oversize and he had a hard time getting into an old original case he had.

In the course of conversation, I told him it was amazing how clear and precise the definition on the plate was, and I told him I could even see they were washington quarters on the guys eyes.

WELL. You never seen a more troubled look come upon someone so quick! He looked green. He looked SiCk.....and found a way to end the conversation and sort of avoid me for the next few events.

I think what this guy done was to remarket that plate as an old original image of a dead soldier in his coffin.....Probably about a 2,000 dollar image to a collector.

Bet he got nailed on THAT deal!
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Several years ago I done Civil War reenactment photography.... >>

Which guy did you talk to later?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... will be cremated... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    It is already in my will to build a room with a recliner in it. Have me taken down to the taxedermy and stuffed and then prop me up in the recliner. Then, set a table in front of my with a few silver and gold coins spread about. Have a see through door on the front of the room so my visitors can come by and say hi. Also, have pictures on the wall and music playing softly in the background.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course. These coins are meant to be paid to Charon as a fare for transport across the river Styx. I believe the nepenthe is included in the toll.

Nobody here gets out alive.

Weird scenes inside the gold mine

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Charon will accept my two jelly donuts and like it, or else.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you die, will you direct your executor to have coins placed on your eyelids?

No, but there is a directive to put a twenty dollar gold piece on my watch chain.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Would you prefer a full Viking funeral complete with flaming ship cast off into the sea and a coin-doctor dog at your feet? >>

Hmm, Yeah... that's the ticket!
  • Options

<< <i>Of course. These coins are meant to be paid to Charon as a fare for transport across the river Styx. I believe the nepenthe is included in the toll.

Nobody here gets out alive.

Weird scenes inside the gold mine

image >>

Are you actually Dennis Miller?
  • Options
    I think some of the requests for eye counterweights are not practical because they are too lightweight. I have read that "stealing pennies from a dead man's eyes" refers to the large cent era since small cents would be too light.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

<< <i>Charon will accept my two jelly donuts and like it, or else. >>

Donuts? Donuts? Donuts !!! Step to the head of the line.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>Are you actually Dennis Miller? >>

Robin Williams channeling Krishnamurti. Sometimes Baba Ram Dass channeling Ed Wynn. Or variously Shep, Moe or Curly.

What's confusing you is the nature of my game. image

Wait.. Charles Bukowski channeling Rainer Maria Rilke!!!
  • Options

<< <i>These coins are meant to be paid to Charon as a fare for transport across the river Styx. >>

I thought the ancients put a coin into the mouth of the deceased to pay Charon.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>These coins are meant to be paid to Charon as a fare for transport across the river Styx. >>

I thought the ancients put a coin into the mouth of the deceased to pay Charon. >>

I looked it up and I am right. But when I looked it up I noted you are also right, so I am wrong.

When they say "you can't take it with you" I get it. I can deal with giving up my coins. But now, from what I infer from Bear's comment, I must prepare to hand over my donuts. Makes me reconsider my operative definition of Hell.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought the ancients put a coin into the mouth of the deceased to pay Charon. >>

I looked it up and I am right. But when I looked it up I noted you are also right, so I am wrong.

When they say "you can't take it with you" I get it. I can deal with giving up my coins. But now, from what I infer from Bear's comment, I must prepare to hand over my donuts. Makes me reconsider my operative definition of Hell.

image >>

I'd rather have a donut put in my mouth than a coin.image

• Options
    <<I thought the ancients put a coin into the mouth of the deceased to pay Charon. >>

I thought that was so bizarre when I first heard it. But that is how the ancient Greeks carried their money when alive.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought someone would post this by now -

The Beatles song, 'Taxman', includes the lyrics:

"Declare the Pennys on Your Eyes" -

They were refering, and complaining, that the
    tax rates in England were so high, that you
    would probably have to declare the coins that
    were placed on your eyes before you were buried !
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, and I think my wife or whomever will not be concerned with what's on my eyes when I die...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file