Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does this look AT? Endroll Morgan

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
I was surprised at this one. Sent to NGC, came back as Artificial Toning! Currently in a newer ANACS slab.

AJ

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Pic is a little dark but the color looks splotchy. Im going AT on this coin.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks AT

1997-present

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks AT to me. The colors don't look right. Does the coin have good cartwheel luster, or is it dull?
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    The colors seem off.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt think one could AT endroll bands like this coin has on the left fields. The coin has nice luster and the colors are fairly deep.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesnt look right to me, the folds dont look quite right. The brownish around the stars and the action behind the hair vee concerns me.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didnt think one could AT endroll bands like this coin has on the left fields. The coin has nice luster and the colors are fairly deep. >>

Couldn't the bands from paper be the real thing, but the color be artificial?image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didnt think one could AT endroll bands like this coin has on the left fields. The coin has nice luster and the colors are fairly deep. >>

Dont tempt the docs, they can do it.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

That can easily be done by using a mask over the coin while the chemicals are applied, and then removing the mask before adding more reagent(s).
    I do this sort of thing routinely in the course of my lab research.

Great. I guess ANACS slabs are no guarantee at all when it comes to toning.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>Great. I guess ANACS slabs are no guarantee at all when it comes to toning. >>

Don't pick on ANACS. The same thing can happen if you send a PCGS coin to NGC or NGC coin to PCGS for crossover. We're dealing with opinions, which often vary.

<< <i>Great. I guess ANACS slabs are no guarantee at all when it comes to toning. >>

No slabs provide a rock-solid NT guarantee. There are coins with artificial toning in top-tier slabs (and plenty of threads about them). The really good toning docs produce work that can fool just about anyone.
    I collect toned Morgans, among other coins. But...I want them in PCGS holders and CAC'd to protect myself in the event of a nasty surprise later on.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say not enough information. What does the reverse look like?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
    Reverse is blast white.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks applied to my eyes. Pretty deceiving if in fact it's AT.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm calling it NT

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    What does the reverse look like?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>What does the reverse look like? >>

See the OP's last post before yours.image

• << <i>.... they can do it. >>

What he said. They can also do simulated "tab toning" image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What does the reverse look like? >>

See the OP's last post before yours.image >>

Thanks Mark.

My guess is NT.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    That one is bad.
  • YUP. AT for sure. NGC got it right.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • That light metallic teal always looks borderline questionable to me. One of things Ive noticed a lot is what I have started calling "chemical water spots" as circled below. Hard to tell if that is what it is from the photo but it looks like it:

• << <i>That light metallic teal always looks borderline questionable to me. One of things Ive noticed a lot is what I have started calling "chemical water spots" as circled below. Hard to tell if that is what it is from the photo but it looks like it:

image >>

Excellent point Mumu. Many of the new breed of "fake mint set" toners exhibit these liquid-drying tell-tales.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    Boy this is frustrating. Another coin I have to get rid of. Thank God people are trying to put a stop to coin doctors.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boy this is frustrating. Another coin I have to get rid of. Thank God people are trying to put a stop to coin doctors. >>

We will never stop them but we can police ourselves buy buying PCGS and NGC .
    And if still in dought post here,and ask questions before you purchase,not after.

<< <i>

<< <i>Boy this is frustrating. Another coin I have to get rid of. Thank God people are trying to put a stop to coin doctors. >>

We will never stop them but we can police ourselves buy buying PCGS and NGC .
    And if still in dought post here,and ask questions before you purchase,not after. >>

Do you think there are a higher percentage of AT coins in ANACS holders than in PCGS and NGC ones? I don't claim to know the answer, but it sounds like you are convinced that there are.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy this is frustrating. Another coin I have to get rid of.

it's surprising you bought it in the first place, a common date morgan in slider condition with nondescript color?

I'm curious what the grade is on the ANACS holder.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I cannot testify (meaning I know with certainty) as to the originality of the tarnish in this case, I can assure you that it is not difficult to produce... as is any tarnish pattern/color/ combination. Certainly some cases are obvious (beginners), however, the good ones are very good and defy detection. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Boy this is frustrating. Another coin I have to get rid of.

it's surprising you bought it in the first place, a common date morgan in slider condition with nondescript color?

I'm curious what the grade is on the ANACS holder. >>

I bought it about 4 years ago when I started collecting. It's also a VAM (doubled stars). ANACS graded it MS62.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT or NT...........I don't think anyone can say with certainty. One thing I can say, is that I would not buy the coin as I find that toning unatractive.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Statements made here as to AT or NT are merely opinions just like those of the TPG's.
    Some mean something, some do not.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

We will never stop them but we can police ourselves by buying PCGS and NGC .
    And if still in dought post here,and ask questions before you purchase,not after. >>

Do you think there are a higher percentage of AT coins in ANACS holders than in PCGS and NGC ones? I don't claim to know the answer, but it sounds like you are convinced that there are. >>

I'm just more comfortable buying toned coins from the two mentioned .I have not bought
    enough ANACS toned coins to give an opinion.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< I can assure you that it is not difficult to produce... as is any tarnish pattern/color/ combination. Certainly some cases are obvious (beginners), however, the good ones are very good and defy detection. >>>

If you say so....
    I actually bought a coin that looked naturally toned to me in an NGC holder. Sent to PCGS, came back AT. Took it to CAC, same thing. That coin is long gone.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    so the almost right angle coloring at 9 o'clock is .........???????really????
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If you say so.... "

I DID say so..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file