Home U.S. Coin Forum

Better results when cracking out or submitting raw?

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
I have a few coins in NGC and ANACS holders, and was wondering if I should send them in crossovers or crack them out. None of them are BIG value coins, all under $500. For people who have sent in both, which do you recommend, and which have you had better success with?

I know PCGS can be unkind with coins in NGC holders image

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    If you feel good about a cross or an upgrade crack them....period. I have had excellent results. I just feel better when the grader is looking at a raw coin and not a coin in some other holder.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely raw however if the risk is to great then better not to crack. >>

That sums it up.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I am planning on sending in. The busties are for my registry.

imageimage

NGC AU53

This one I think is undergraded:

NGC G6:
    imageimage

AJ
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    they look pretty good on the grade. Maybe the Oregon could get a MS64. Not a big jump in value. Its the most common one.

The Bust Half...not sure. Any chance it was cleaned long ago? If so keep it where it lies. It looks nice though. Probably correctly graded.

Id leave the draped quarter how it is. PCGS will bag these things for about any reason.

Thats just my opinion.

In any event, if you send them all in you wont be gambling that much. The thrill may be enough...Good luck.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it would depend if you wanted them back at any grade, or if you wanted them to cross at a minimum specified grade. Don't crack'em if you want them back at no lower than grade xx. Crack'em if it does not matter to you.

Edited to add: Personally I don't think that it matters if you leave them in the holders or not. You can get dinged both ways, but if you break them out and they get the infamous "genuine" label, then you loose.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
    Well I would like them in graded holders rather than genuine. So I think I might be better off sending them as a crossover with no minimum grade.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always specify a minimum grade of some kind... otherwise a "Genuine" holder is possible.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you defeat the whole purpose of cracking them out by posting their holders on PCGS's forum? image

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

I won't be cracking them. At least if they don't cross I can sell them as is.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such dilemmas... and somewhere, someone, is wondering ................ oh nevermind... Cheers, RickO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why aren't you happy with the holders they are in now? They look properly graded. If it were me, I'd use the grading money to buy a new coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• An experienced collector knows when he/she sees a nice coin. The plastic the coin is in disappears as they view it. I personally will only send a coin back if I feel it will get a higher grade.
    Well I wanted a nicer 1832 for my bust half registry set. Same with the 1807, only registry purposes. I'm not going to send in the oregon or the bust quarter, just the three halves.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    One thing you can do is both: first send it in as a crossover with some minimum grade, then if you still want to try and are convinced it should go , crackout and send in again. This way you give the grading company a chance to put it in their holder before you take the irreversible step of cracking it out.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will refuse to cross many NGC/ANACS graded coins because of questionable color, or cleaning. Cracking coins out, and submitting raw could well mean you will be left with raw coins.

I do believe PCGS is more generous with grading raw coins, part of the reason being that the graders can better see the raw coins.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    1. Do not do it

2. If you must do it, leave them in holders

3. Good luck, on what ever you decide to do.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be no problem cracking the 1806 & 1807 busties... But those high grade toner halves might be a problem. Could result in AT.
    Good luck...
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Send them in raw AnkurJ.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file