Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is mint bag toning considered AT toning?

I sent two coins coins part of a 1964 mint set and both coins got a 91 for questionable color. Is mint bag toning consider artificial toning or whats the deal. image

Comments

• Depends on the day
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    They were in a mint set (cellophane) or in mint bags? Do you have photos?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Mint bags from this era...1960's are not capable of toning the same as canvas bags from the late 1800's early 1900's. Any coin stored in a US Mint bag is in my opinion, considered NT.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Not too sure, but they where part of the flat pack P and D mint sets from 1964 ten coins total. I will post pics of the coins when i get them tomorrow.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the coins history or "story" matters very little to zero.

what matters, you ask? what matters is How The COINS LOOK

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That's mint set packaging... the color placement, the color (red, blue, green, gold, purple, etc.) and where the color is missing are indicators of AT vs NT. Did you remove the coins from the mint set? A few people recommend sending coins in the original packaging to the TPG if the colors are questionable.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>Mint bags from this era...1960's are not capable of toning the same as canvas bags from the late 1800's early 1900's. Any coin stored in a US Mint bag is in my opinion, considered NT.[/q

I got questionable color on two coins from the same mint set that came out of an original mint set. I would think a product housed in its original packaging would not be an issue.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mint bags from this era...1960's are not capable of toning the same as canvas bags from the late 1800's early 1900's. Any coin stored in a US Mint bag is in my opinion, considered NT.[/q

I got questionable color on two coins from the same mint set that came out of an original mint set. I would think a product housed in its original packaging would not be an issue. >>

It could be an issue, if, for some reason, the coins have toned in a way that appears unnatural.

Graders typically make their assessments in a vacuum, without knowing the past history or storage conditions the coins have been subjected to. As a result, some coins which are naturally toned, appear to be artificially toned and are no-graded. Others, are artificially toned, but appear to be naturally toned, and are graded.
  • I will get the coins back tomorrow and will post pics and i will let you guys judge for yourself.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toning in the 1964 mint packaging is not the same as toning from a US mint bag ... just to try and clarify a bit. The material in contact with the coins is, obviously, vastly different.

IIRC (and please correct me if I am wrong about this) a few years ago there was a huge number of wild blue, purple, red proof Jeffersons from the early 1960s that were being submitted and initially graded by PCGS. These coins were going for some big money (several hundred dollars). It was discovered, as the story goes, that the submitter had toned the coins while in the original mint packaging and then claimed that the coins were original (I think the coins were toned on top of or underneath a water heater?). After a while, PCGS was no longer grading these pieces even if they were submitted in the original holders. Is this correct or just some urban legend that has stuck in my head.

BTW ... that is one nice 39-D, Mark!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Poking a hole in mint set cellophane and AT'ing a coin is not unheard of. Also I have heard of original mint sewn Morgan bags being exposed to chemicals to cause "bag" toning.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.... Also I have heard of original mint sewn Morgan bags being exposed to chemicals to cause "bag" toning. >>

Now THAT sounds like an urban legend. Have you thought this thru?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • TevaTeva Posts: 830
    No and yes. I submited copper from bank rolls and
    some graded and some didn't its not a issue confined to bags.
    Some times it takes more than one try?
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

<< <i>Not too sure, but they where part of the flat pack P and D mint sets from 1964 ten coins total. I will post pics of the coins when i get them tomorrow. >>

Mint bags were not involved with US mint sets, where as heat sealed cellophane and paper type postal envelopes were. Coins of the era you speak of, can and do sometimes tone inside the packaging, much has to do with their storage. Heat, humidity and the length of time exposed to these environments come into play and most times cannot be duplicated.

If the coins in question appear in anyway to be accelerated toning, in this day and age, the graders will immediately reject them.
    Chat Board Lingo

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image This tarnish issue is getting hilarious. Cheers, RickO
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure why not?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    "tarnish" well...it sounds so dirty, tone, is well just a tad bit melodramatic...now, "MONSTER TONED" reminds me of a Japanese Sci-fi movie.

I'm a blast white collector from yarns ago, I have no idea why I offer my opinion on these things image
    Chat Board Lingo

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Mint bags from this era...1960's are not capable of toning the same as canvas bags from the late 1800's early 1900's. Any coin stored in a US Mint bag is in my opinion, considered NT. >>

I got questionable color on two coins from the same mint set that came out of an original mint set. I would think a product housed in its original packaging would not be an issue. >>

It could be an issue, if, for some reason, the coins have toned in a way that appears unnatural.

Graders typically make their assessments in a vacuum, without knowing the past history or storage conditions the coins have been subjected to. As a result, some coins which are naturally toned, appear to be artificially toned and are no-graded. Others, are artificially toned, but appear to be naturally toned, and are graded. >>

So what your saying is that graders don't have a clue as to what is natural or artificial? It's all based upon what they think.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>Graders typically make their assessments in a vacuum, without knowing the past history or storage conditions the coins have been subjected to. As a result, some coins which are naturally toned, appear to be artificially toned and are no-graded. Others, are artificially toned, but appear to be naturally toned, and are graded >>

Oh, come on, cut through it. The only vacuum I see here is the one in between these graders' ears. That's a very pretentious determination for a professional grading service to be making on what otherwise is completely natural tarnish. JMHO...

• << <i>I sent two coins coins part of a 1964 mint set and both coins got a 91 for questionable color. Is mint bag toning consider artificial toning or whats the deal. image >>

JOZ, I'd request a refund on my submissions costs. I'm serious...
  • Did the bags intend to deceive anyone?
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<<Oh, come on, cut through it. The only vacuum I see here is the one in between these graders' ears. That's a very pretentious determination for a professional grading service to be making on what otherwise is completely natural tarnish. JMHO... >>

How can you have such an opinion on the matter, not even having seen what the coins look like?

<< I sent two coins coins part of a 1964 mint set and both coins got a 91 for questionable color. Is mint bag toning consider artificial toning or whats the deal. >>

<<JOZ, I'd request a refund on my submissions costs. I'm serious... >>

Regardless of what the coins look like?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what your saying is that graders don't have a clue as to what is natural or artificial? It's all based upon what they think.

That's not what's being said at all, and it is either foolish or intentionally misleading to put it that way.

what happens is, the graders LOOK AT THE COIN...

we're still waiting for pictures of these pieces... all we have so far are typed words

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• << <i><<Oh, come on, cut through it. The only vacuum I see here is the one in between these graders' ears. That's a very pretentious determination for a professional grading service to be making on what otherwise is completely natural tarnish. JMHO... >>

How can you have such an opinion on the matter, not even having seen what the coins look like?

<< I sent two coins coins part of a 1964 mint set and both coins got a 91 for questionable color. Is mint bag toning consider artificial toning or whats the deal. >>

<<JOZ, I'd request a refund on my submissions costs. I'm serious... >>

Regardless of what the coins look like? >>

Let me put it this way. I don't happen to need to see a person before I can conclude he or she isn't a witch in spite of what a bunch of delusional crackpots in a captive forum who erroneously believe in witches may otherwise suggest. There's nothing, here, that indicates this is anything other than tarnish. And, tarnish is natural. And, that's the end of that.

To me, anyway. There, how's that for a disclaimer?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what your saying is that graders don't have a clue as to what is natural or artificial? It's all based upon what they think.

That's not what's being said at all, and it is either foolish or intentionally misleading to put it that way.

what happens is, the graders LOOK AT THE COIN...

we're still waiting for pictures of these pieces... all we have so far are typed words >>

I hate it when you call me foolish.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file