Home U.S. Coin Forum

So...where are all the FUN token purchases?

Charmy? Jerry? Anyone?...Anyone?....Bueller? image
Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments

• Did anybody see the new 2011 Scott Rottinghaus for ANA governor campaign tokens there?
  • Guess not....lol
    Chaz

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Tokens?

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to do it and tried not to look, but I just couldn't resist and ended up bying six more beautiful Conder tokens to add to my collection! I had Todd photograph them, but he is swamped and will get them to me this weekend sometime. A couple of them are extremely rare, and according to Gary Groll (my Conder supplier), one is the only one of this variety known! As soon as Todd photographed them, I turned them into NGC for grading so I don't even have them with me right now. But I can't wait to show them off and will do so as soon as I can!!

Jerry/Yellowkid showed me a few of his new Conders as well so you'll probably be seeing his soon.....
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a number of political medalet and token purchases. Compared to coins, they seem like bargains!

Here was one of my more interesting token purchases. It is an unlisted McClellan variety that lists his battles on the reverse. His big claim to fame would seem to be Antietam, which was ultimately the battle that got him fired. image The others were from his disastrous Peninsula campaign which turned into a big Union defeat. Perhaps the maker of this token realized he had not struck political gold here and decided not issue very many of these pieces.

I bought a number of others, but I don't want to hog the spot. I'll post more later to keep this up in the pecking order if there is interest.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Thats a nice token you have there Bill. I dont think I have seen that one. Lets see the others!

Charmy......i KNEW you wouldnt be able to resist the lure of the Conder! I am looking forward to seeing pics of them all.

Man, I need to get to one of these FUN shows. Ugh.
    Chaz

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, here's another one from FUN.

This token is from James Garfield's 1880 presidential campaign. The Dewitt number for this piece is JG 1880-7, and it’s made of brass. Garfield is depicted on the reverse has the young boy who started out on the tow path (leading horses as they pulled boats along a canal) and worked his way to the White House. This was an honest depiction because Garfield did rise from humble origins, worked his way through college and became a successful man.

Many presidential candidates have used common man images as an attempt to boost their campaigns. Abraham Lincoln was “the rail splitter” although by the time he was running President he was a very successful lawyer. Teddy Roosevelt was “the rough rider.” Jimmy Carter was “the peanut farmer from Georgia,” and Ronald Reagan was “the gipper.”

Garfield was a very brilliant and talented man. It was said that he could hold a pen in each hand and write Greek with on one hand and Latin with the other. On the other hand he came up in politics at a time when bribes and political corruption were accepted as the norm. There were claims during the campaign that he had taken a “loan” of $329 that he had never paid back in exchange for his influence. Those who opposed Garfield scrawled the number "329" on sidewalks and fences. It didn't change the outcome of the election. That's why the number "329" is depicted upon this anti-Garfield campaign piece that features a riverboat headed for "salt river." This was a bit of 19th century negative campaigning.

Unfortunately we will never know what sort of president he might have been because a mentally deranged office seeker assassinated him. After he was shot, Garfield lingered for months before he finally died. He may have survived if the doctors had done almost nothing. Instead they probed for the bullet that was in his body with their bare fingers and unsterilized instruments. In the end he died of an infection undoubtedly given to him by the primitive medical practices of the period.

This is one of fun aspects about tokens, medalets and medals. Many of them have great stories attached to them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a token but we don't have a medal thread. image

I collect a few odds and ends with a NW connection. Here's a medal from the Lewis and Clark Expo in Portland, Oregon. Awarded to a mining firm - I like the Bohemian connection. image

Edited to add inscription - If you have any info on the firm, a PM would be appreciated.

FJ Hard
    Vesuvius, Oregon
    Colorado and Riverside Mines
    Bohemia, Oregon
    Gold Medal

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific tokens and medals, Bill! Thanks for the stories behind them.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file