Home U.S. Coin Forum

RIF'd by Verizon after 20+ years of loyal service - - show me your coins with telephones or telecomm

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
Yep........ I may not be frequenting these Forums as much soon as usual, as I have to spend more time actively looking for a new job. Never a bad review.... but Verizon just keeps cutting and cutting and cutting to the bone....

So, in honor of my upcoming "freedom to do something for ME" (as they so nicely put it...), please post a coin with an image of a telephone, telegraph, Alexander Graham Bell, telecommunications (land-line OR wireless), etc...........

Comments

• canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear. Good luck on the job hunt. Unfortunately I've got nothing with a telephone theme.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Neither do I any longer!imageimage
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Very sorry about the RIF. Large companies care little for the individuals that made them successful over the years.

I hope you find a new and much more rewarding job quickly.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your job loss. Best of luck in finding a new and rewarding job!

Sorry, no coins with that theme.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on the job search. I and lucky to not have that experience. I hope I never have to, but you never klnow what tomorrow will bring you. With 20+ years of service, I am hopeful you can find something relatively quick.

• Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm very sorry to hear of your separation and I wish you all the best on your search.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the cheap way out, they didn't ask for volunteers to take a package?

(I hear AT&T is constantly adding and firing, watch where you work.)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Thanks, all!

Actually, they DID accept some volunteers, but most of the folks left behind by now aren't yet at retirement age, or still have mortgages to pay & kids in college to support, so, as much as just about EVERYONE would like to get out, a good number are trapped......

This RIF was especially brutal... down to just the "good guys", and a large % cut.image
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    That's a bummer, best of luck in your job search...

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it.

"Rule the Air"
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Worked for one of your components - GTE. Laid off after 32+ years 20 years ago. Never found work again.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been trying all night to find images of the 19th century white metal token that commemorated the completion of the transatlantic cable. Issued by George H. Lovett.

Edited to add: Not the medal I had in mind, but here is one:
    imageimage

This is the one. A very scarce piece in any condition. The "How are you Jonathan?" medal.
    imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer, I'm switching to AT&T.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you live and what type of work did you do? Perhaps one of the forum members can give you a lead on a new job. Good luck in your job hunt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was out of a job in March 2001 when the Silicon Valley "Dot-Com" industry crashed.

The company then tried to keep me from getting unemployment benefits.

I got them.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough situation. Where are you located? Let us know, some of us have connections and may be able to help. Cheers, RickO
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    The Man does not care about the worker bees. Part of his job is to keep The People down.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am sure something else will turn up.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. Don't dismay. Something better is bound to come along. Happens all the time.

I couldn't find any coins with telephone themes but I did find this.
    Lance.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of your job loss. You'll no doubt find a better one soon.

I found this in a roll of nickels in 1961.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when one door closes another door will open !!
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    Start making a list of the CLECs in your state and give them a visit in person.
    If you were a lineman, manager of techs, network admin, or something useful
    like that they will probably want you if you know your stuff.

I work for a CLEC and we hire ex VZ guys all the time.

• I've had great service with them for eleven years, having just last month upgraded to a Droid X. They just announced getting the iPhone--could it be AT&T karma getting passed along?

I just hope PCGS doesn't announce at the next ANA Money Show "Secure Plus 3G," a new service that will render all our previous slabs obsolete, and available either with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi plus CoinFacts subscription service...
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
    Hey, all.... thx for the posts & encouragement!

I've been off the Forum for a bit trying to coordinate work, looking for internal jobs, working with a "coach" on my resume, reviewing all exit information, keeping up with home finances/bills/etc, and even trying to fit in some sleep... image

I have 30 (now more like 26) days to find another internal job or be out on the street with a so-so severance package that won't last me a year.........

It is amazing..... you work hard for "the man" for 21 years fully-knowing they couldn't care a lick about you (their CEO gets millions in bonuses while hard-working employees with families lose their incomes), yet you never think the hammer will actually come down.......

It's been 20+ years since I had to interview, and I suck at it........ and I've been doing project designs & Cobol coding (more of the former & a lot less of the latter) these past 5+ years, so not sure how much value any CLECs would see in me. I live outside of Philly.

Add to the fact that I have had some medical issues, and it's not going to be easy to find work immediately....... but that's not THEIR concern.........

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement!image
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    DBST, I was in your shoes about a year ago. Luckily, I found another internal job before the axe fell. Trust in yourself, and look at this as an opportunity, and you will find the right path. Good luck....Mike (who does not nor has ever worked for VZ)
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    p.s. now would be a good time to contact your old supervisors to see if any of them have an opening -- that's how I found my current job.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file