Home U.S. Coin Forum

FUN report: A woman shooting the bird, fun with my Dad, and other interesting stuff!

So, I drove to Tampa from Orlando to do the Sat FUN show with my Dad. It used to be, he would take ME to the shows when I was a kid, now I am pretty much taking him, and watching over his purchases to make sure he gets the best coin for his money. image I'm 34 and he is 76 and these days, he is apt to jump on the first or second coin he sees of whatever he is looking for, so I wanted to make sure I helped him understand he didn't need to rush in finding an 84-cc ms65 morgan for his short-set. I told him, "Take your time. That is not a rare coin and there will be plenty to choose from." Sure enough, I helped him to slow down and realize HE was in control and he ended up finding a really nice morgan at greysheet bid after passing up several over-priced dogs along the way. It was a great win for him personally I think. image

I bought two coins for my type set I will post later: A nice, original looking 1917 type 1 SLQ in 64 FH, and a BEAUTIFULLY toned 1892 barber quarter in 61. I saw MANY slq's of the same date in blast white or toned ugly colors, but this one spoke to me as having a great combination of "originality and eye appeal." Same for the barber quarter: I saw them shiny as can be, or dipped dull in 64 and 65, but this one in anacs 61 was just superb, but not out of character in its coloring. It was newp that wasn't even on display yet. And when I saw it, I said to myself "wow." I looked at a LOT of barber quarters that day but as someone else said, there wasn't a lot of nice, original-looking type to be had. I scooped it up and it may very well be one of my favorite coins now! I MUCH prefer this nice-looking 61 to the all the white 65 clones I saw. I really focused on quality of eye-appeal rather than grade at this show. I spent less, and ended up with better looking coins than the higher-graded ones! image

I was talking with the dealer who sold me the SLQ dealer (Bill Nagle I think his name was...great guy), and I heard some lady swearing at a dealer next to us at the top of her lungs while flicking him a bird and walking slowly away! HAHA! I was one of the craziest things I've ever seen at a show. The dealer was saying to everyone in earshot "What a classy lady! She buys a piece of Jewelry from me, wears it to a party, abuses and breaks it, and now wants her money back!" It was really nuts and it made quite a scene! Though I think my favorite line I overheard was at the Wayne Herndon table. A lady with a notepad was next to me at the able and asked how much they would buy a modern proof set for. The dealer with Wayne (I forgot his name but he has always been helpful to me) offers her a fair market value for the set. She then (quite rudely and in an accusatory tone) says "Are you KIDDING me? I am already out 10 bucks with the shipping on this thing then!" Trying to help her understand she wasn't being ripped off, I sad "Yeah, that's about right for a modern proof set" but she was CLEARLY pissed off. It would be a hoot if it weren't kind of sad that people get suckered into modern mint products thinking they can make a fortune off of them.

We stopped over by Rick Snow's booth, and we chatted about the kind's of counterfeits that are really scary: The ones that are so good even most experts miss them. It was an enlightening chat, and it further drove home the point of really needing to study before you throw any serious money at something. We also stopped by Coin rarities and talked to ColonialCoinUnion about early red-copper. He gave me an interesting education about the Virginia halfpenny and how there really can be original red-copper left in certain series. I love colonials for their history, but I don't know enough about them yet to pull any triggers.

Overall, I would say that it was a great show for me and the dealers I talked to were very pleased. The people watching is half the fun though! image

Comments

• Thanks for the report.

Sounds like a fun time at the show with dad.

Sadly, lots of folks think their coins are worth a fortune. The TV/telemarketer/magazine stuff is the worst, but common circulated old coins often bring strong reactions as well.
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.

Sadly, lots of folks think their coins are worth a fortune. The TV/telemarketer/magazine stuff is the worst, but common circulated old coins often bring strong reactions as well. >>

Yeah, I was selling a few slabbed coins (they were in my pocket where the dealer couldn't see them at first), and I could see the look of slight panic on dealer's faces when I asked of they were buying. Hahahah. Then when they saw I had some decent coins, the look of relief came over them again. image It must be frustrating dealing with/explaining to a public that is constantly bringing you beat up wheat cents from the 40's. image
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the report.

Sounds like a fun time at the show with dad.

Sadly, lots of folks think their coins are worth a fortune. The TV/telemarketer/magazine stuff is the worst, but common circulated old coins often bring strong reactions as well. >>

I was at the B&M on Friday, and a guy came in asking if they had any national parks $2 bills, because he saw them on TV and he thought they might become valuable...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over and over I run into the situation where and individual has purchased something from TV/magazine/huckster and when informed of the true worth, they explode. No one likes to be conned. Very sad. Cheers, RickO
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Great report, Wes.

I used to love taking my Dad to shows too.
    Although he wasn't a collector - he loved the
    coins I bought - and would look over them for
    a few days before I brought them to the bank
    safety deposit vault.

Enjoy your time with your Dad - mine was my best friend.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been like that since I've been a dealer.

Coin Shops and Coin Show become the

"Bearer of Bad News"

when people want to sell what they bought
    on TV shows,in newspapers, from Telemarketers, etc.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a great time going to the show with your dad and purchasing cool coins. Bill Nagle carries some amazing pieces and he had the prettiest reverse tone Connecticut half I have ever seen recently. Did you happen to get a look at that coin?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I was talking with the dealer who sold me the SLQ dealer (Bill Nagle I think his name was...great guy), and I heard some lady swearing at a dealer next to us at the top of her lungs while flicking him a bird and walking slowly away! HAHA! I was one of the craziest things I've ever seen at a show. The dealer was saying to everyone in earshot "What a classy lady! She buys a piece of Jewelry from me, wears it to a party, abuses and breaks it, and now wants her money back!" It was really nuts and it made quite a scene! >>

That was wild. She unloaded that finger at that guy as she was walking backwards down the aisle right past you, like 12" away. Nice to meet you and your dad! And no, I'm not Bill.

Another one that was wild was a skinny guy with long hair busting slabs on the concrete floor at the table directly across from us, shards flying everywhere. A much respected numismatist who was standing at the table was not amused either.

John
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It sounds like a great time going to the show with your dad and purchasing cool coins. Bill Nagle carries some amazing pieces and he had the prettiest reverse tone Connecticut half I have ever seen recently. Did you happen to get a look at that coin? >>

Hi Tom! No, I didn't see that coin but I was VERY pleased to do business with him. His was about the only fair-priced, nice-looking SLQ of that date and I saw out there and I really enjoyed my chat with him. I said "I just can't believe the spread in values I am seeing for this coin on the floor. " (His was 450 which was in line with where it should be while I saw it as high as 750 elsewhere for an uglier example.) He said (with no trace of malice I might add) "Yeah, because it is a widget!" image Then we talked about how often common coins like that one just go for way too much money. He said "This is a nice, original looking collector coin. Solid. It is a good coin, but it shouldn't have so much price variation because of the ease of finding them." He was dead on. We chatted for about 10 minutes and I was most impressed with his genuine love for the hobby and willingness to chat. I said "Do you need to see my driver's license with the check? He said "Nah, one thing I learned to do in this business is size people up." image

He was a fun guy to deal with for sure. I'll look for him next time as well.

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the report.

I was at the B&M on Friday, and a guy came in asking if they had any national parks $2 bills, because he saw them on TV and he thought they might become valuable... >>

People could save themselve and others a whole lot of time and frustration if they would get on Ebay and find out just how much their garbage is actually worth.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file