Home U.S. Coin Forum

I APOLOGIZE. I WAS WRONG. I ADMIT IT. BIFURCATION

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am a stubborn middle age man with three cats and a hard head.

When I get an idea, it roots well.

The subject of the Feuchtwanger Reverse, I stand humbled and offer deep apologies for I have decided that is INDEED the case. After taking much time today reviewing all archived photos, I have seen these features move about, from letter to letter (or so it seems) on man coins throughout the feuchtwanger 3 cent types. Indeed, it is unpredictable.

Then, I found, read, and digested this on our hosts site: to follow my humble apology....

One thing rang very true, the part about basically a too flat planchet with insufficent upsetting the rim. That is EXACTLY what all his issues are, much more pronounced than any federal coin.

OK, so, now, it DOES make sense. total sense. I needed to read it here, and really connect it with the facts I know and the pictures I have seen.

I do consider this a "victory' in the scope of knowledge of these pieces, just as valuable as detecting a variety.

Now it can safely be written in any book or article, that the series is subject to bifucation of various letters, due to the thinly upset planchet and metal flow issues. And to be able to say that is a nice tidbit. Like I said, we know nothing of these tokens except what they can tell us.

About Bifurcation

The term bifurcated was used extensively by Bolender, and refers to letters and numerals around the periphery of an early dollar which seem to be split at their bases. Thus, the letter I, if bifurcated, will have the bottom of the vertical shaft split or forked.

During the striking process for a coin in an open collar, the metal that starts to fill up the vertical shaft of the I will continue to expand outward (toward the rim) along that shaft, leaving the base of the upright unfilled. If the dies come no closer together after this happens, the letter I (in this example) will appear bifurcated. The bases of other letters will remain incomplete as well, the degree of bifurcation depending upon the depth of the strike and the shapes of the letters. Those letters with long, vertical uprights will be affected the most, and the effect will be more noticeable if there are serifs struck up at their bases.

On the other hand, if the strike is adequate and the dies continue to come closer together, the base of the shaft will ultimately fill up with the silver alloy metal, and the planchet will mold itself to the design in the dies, and outward expansion will be inhibited.

A variant type of bifurcation was caused by metal flow, when a planchet with an insufficiently upset rim (a too-flat slope up to the rim raised during the lettering of the edge on the blank planchet), or too loosely fit within the collar, was struck, and the metal in the planchet flowed outward toward the collar, especially if the strike was not deep enough to fully bring up all aspects of the design, and to fill all the die recesses.
Any characters in the die near the border-and this usually meant stars, letters (especially letters with long, vertical shafts), or date numerals would then sustain flow marks, or bifurcations, at the inner edges of the characters. Sometimes, the bifurcation process made the letters around the border appear ornate or fancy, as in examples of 1799 B-8 [BB-165] examined by Bolender and found to have the letters of the word LIBERTY with extensive bifurcations. As one of many coins that could be cited, an example of 1795 BB-18 studied by the author had beveled, flattened innermost star rays, and bifurcated tops to the 1 and 9 in the date. Often, stars appear lopsided, with the rays toward the center shortened, due to the bifurcation process.

Apparently, Bolender had no clue as to what bifurcation marks really were. He must have considered them to be a product of die deterioration or perhaps repunching, for in some instances he assigned a separate subvariety number to coins with bifurcation marks. An example is provided by Bolender's 1799 B-10 (BB-163), which has no bifurcation marks, and his Bolender-10b, from the same dies, "and with the letters much bifurcated."

Similarly, 1800 Bolender-16a (BB-187) was described as follows: "From the same dies as Bolender-16, but with most letters bifurcated." Other examples could be cited. As noted earlier, Bolender was not alone in knowing little about minting processes. The excellent findings of Breen, Julian, Taxay, and others were yet to be discovered and disseminated.

As we understand the minting process today, a planchet which had a properly upset rim and/or was tightly fit into the collar would have minimal metal flow near the rims, and no bifurcation marks would result. If a planchet had an insufficient upset rim and was significantly smaller in diameter than the collar, then it was a candidate for bifurcation marks, as metal flow occurred in an outward direction from the center. If such a planchet was loosely placed in the dies, close to the collar on one side and distant from it on the other side, then bifurcation marks would occur on the side most distant from the collar-as the metal flow to the collar was greatest there.

Stack's catalogue of the sale of the W. Earl Spies Collection, 1974, offered a specialized cabinet of early dollars described very carefully. Among the 1801-dated dollars were these three coins:

1801 [BB-211] B-1. Wide date. Small dot next to center dot. Most of the letters not bifurcated. VF, delicate toning.

1801 [BB-211] B-1a. Dies as above. The letters are lightly but mostly bifurcated. VG.

1801 [BB-211] B-1b. Letters not bifurcated (per Bolender, in reference to his observations), but there is now a crack from the wing tip through "STA" through the clouds to first "A" of AMERICA. "Waves" through "ERICA." Fine, with some scratches across the obverse.

Per the preceding, it is apparent that a particular variety of 1801 dollar was struck with most letters not bifurcated. Then, a specimen was struck from the same dies, with most letters bifurcated. Then, the reverse die cracked, and in this later use, the coin struck from the dies was not bifurcated. In other words, bifurcation had nothing to do with the life or wear of the dies.

Sometimes a die pair would be used to strike many loose-fitting planchets, with many coins with bifurcated features resulting. Other times, a die pair would be utilized to strike closely-fitting planchets, with no resultant bifurcation. Contrary to what Bolender stated, the absence or presence of bifurcation does not constitute a separate die variety, or even a die state.

Accordingly, in the specialized descriptions of individual die varieties in this book, in instances in which Bolender used bifurcated letters as an attribution guide, I have deleted these references or have modified them to state, for example, "often seen with bifurcated letters," "Bolender reported specimens with bifurcated letters," etc. There is the strong possibility that any variety that Bolender saw with bifurcated letters or other features may also exist without bifurcations. In the present work, bifurcation is not a determinant of die varieties or states. (The author acknowledges the assistance of Thomas K. DeLorey (letter dated November 18, 1992), Bill Fivaz (letter dated November 16, 1992), and Harry E. Salyards, M.D. (letter dated December 4, 1992) concerning the commentary on bifurcation.)

The same process that caused bifurcation in the vertically-oriented elements, border letters, stars and numerals sometimes affected horizontal parts of letters and numerals as well. If at the border, the metal flow was "sliding" outward from the center, it might skim over a thin horizontal element in the die, such as the thin line at the bottom or top of the letter E or D, and fill in the serifs, but not the thin line. Thus, for example, certain specimens of 1798 BB-94 appear as if the tops of E and D in UNITED are broken; it is logical, and is a fact, that the vertical elements of these same letters are heavily bifurcated.

With regard to stars, the bifurcation process sometimes makes the point facing toward the center of the coin seem smaller or shortened. On some strikings of the Heraldic Eagle reverse, the bottom rays of the stars thus appear smaller or even defective, an idiosyncrasy of the striking of the particular coin involved-and a situation not related to die preparation or a die state.

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I thought that bifurcating in public was illegal?image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense taken. I still like that killer 1864 of yours.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Sure, blame the kitties.
    molon labe

<< <i>Sure, blame the kitties. >>

?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Oh great! Another "explain the kitties reference to Capn' " thread.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • A catman?
    I've heard of cat ladies but....
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Through you will all hof us have learned something , and for those who already knew it they now know it even betterimage >>

I am surprised to say the about RealOne, (not usually one I agree with) butimage
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I don't think you need to apologize

not many people have seen many 3- centers

and your excellent photos made different ideas possible

I do not know of Feuchtwangers minting process, but it seems to me probably open collar
    since the design floats different distances from the edge

and now I know why I have seen those bifurcated letters on Jefferson nickels every once in awhile
    (hard metal, incomplete die filling)
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    No need to apologize, Ambro. We all make mistakes. In this case, you are in good company with Bolender too. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought that bifurcating in public was illegal?image >>

Only in Virginia.

Ambros51 - Instead of turning a blind eye and continuing to stand by your original supposition, you searched out the facts and allowed them to correct your opinion. Good for you. image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • At least you didn't blame Sara Palin or Talk Radio for the Error.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wrong once....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • The only way to NOT doing anything wrong, is to not do anything.

And, it takes a real man to admit you're wrong.

Finally, if I had a question about Feuchtwangers, I would go to you.
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Not to worry, Ambro. Remember the line about "he who is without sin" and notice that no
    one is picking up any stones here. One of my favorites was the "fake" 1908 $2.50 Indian
    that was published in 1979 or 1980. Then the diagnostics showed up on a genuine Matte
    Proof 1908.

OOPS!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that reference - nice explanation of the process.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • Pictures of Cats ?..... :-)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least you didn't blame Sara Palin or Talk Radio for the Error. >>

...yeah just leave that to-------------------------ahhh, never mind. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent... since I know virtually nothing about Feuchtwangers, it was most informative. Cheers, RickO

Bump for the recent questions about BIFURCATION

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

bump

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ambro's post would have been much more beneficial with the addition of images.

I tried to acquire some to improve his message but got stalled finding suitable examples.

Here is a 1799 B-8 (BB-165) illustrating bifurcation (particularly on tall letters, as noted)...

...but I was unable to to find a "1795 BB-18 studied by the author had beveled, flattened innermost star rays, and bifurcated tops to the 1 and 9 in the date".

It was downhill from there.

To be fair, ten years ago it wasn't easy to include images. It required a hosting service like Photobucket, which proved to be an unreliable partner.
    Lance.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry. I didn't realize that the text that followed "About Bifurcation" was from QDB.
    https://pcgs.com/books/silver-dollars/chapter04/14
    Lance.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @lkeigwin for the great photo and additional information. I understood the description from the lengthy original post but you photo made it much easier to understand. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

I understood what the OP was describing but I pictured the letters looking different than they actually do. So, thanks again to you and @ambro51.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

:/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file