Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007 Dime- Major Die Crack?

Greetings all, I'm fairly new to the hobby and heard this is a great forum for accessing some expert advice and opinions! When I have some leisure time I like to go though pocket change and I recently found this 2007 P Dime in a roll from the bank. It certainly looks to me like a serious die crack and a legit mint error, but I can't find anything about this searching online. The reverse appears to be slightly off-center (skewed towards the 'south'). Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi that is from a split die, the die cracked in half. This is VERY collectable and way more than a die crack. A very cool find. PM me if you are interested in selling it as it is my son's birth year.

Also WELCOME to the Forum.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool Crack. image

Here is your obverse image.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Nice crack!!!image
    figglehorn
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, nice crack and very nice pick up wtg image
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen maybe 4 or five of these coins with this same cracked die. In 2007 there were maybe 5 or 6 different dies with split dies like this, many of them being found in circulation. They are very dramatic especially for a modern coin like that. Nice.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What errorsoncoins said.

a split die is way cool.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice find.... a keeper for sure. Cheers, RickO
  • Thanks for your response! How did you post the pic so that the image is shown in the post instead of as links to an image as my initial post was?
  • What does it mean to "PM me"? What do you think a coin like this would be worth? Is it worth having slabbed?
    Thanks!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    To link the photo, use the 4th icon from the left (a framed picture of a mountain) and paste in the link.

PM means send a private message. From the post of the person you want to PM, click the padlock to send a PM to that user.

Since PCGS charges $50 to grade errors, probably not. The authentication is really not needed for that error. I think andone a little experienced could judge the legitimacy... and the grade, unless a top pop, really will not sway the price of that coin.

Very nice find! I wonder if there are more ;-)
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does it mean to "PM me"? What do you think a coin like this would be worth? Is it worth having slabbed?
    Thanks! >>

PM means Private Message, which you have to turn on in your profile. I did try to PM you, but your function is turned off.

Pricing errors coins is tricky, no set guidelines. I have seen a few other exact examples of the 2007 split die dime so it is not unique.

I have hundreds of Raw coins and I never have any of them slabbed because I would rather put my money into coins and not plastic. The $50 fee PCGS charges for mint errors is too much for many errors and this one is boarder line. It is what it is and slabbing won't change that. If PCGS had a economy pricing structure for errors ( which they don't) then this coin would certainly be a good candidate.
  • WOW! that's awesome.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    This is one of at least eight shattered obverse (anvil) dies known among 2007-P dimes. This is the first example I've seen of this particular die. The most prominent feature is a 50% retained cud. Within that retained cud are several bi-level die cracks. All of these shattered dies are roughly similar in their fracture pattern. There must have been something wrong with the die steel or the die preparation to account for such a rash of shattered dies.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file