Home U.S. Coin Forum

1998 Matte Finish Kennedy Half

I'm thinking about adding one of these to my collection. What are the thoughts on this forum about the long term value? I can purchase the 2 coin Commemorative set for about 1/2 of the price listed in the 2011 Red Book and am wondering if this might be a good investment.

So looking for thoughts from greater minds than mine.............image

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've thought about this coin from time to time, and I think that the time to have invested in it for the purpose of price appreciation was in 1998. It is a key in many senses of the word, but the series is beset by problems in the Mint's proliferation of coin programs that prevent anyone but a hardcore Kennedy Half collector from even paying much attention to the finer points, such as a satin finish in a specially-issued set.

In short, if I had a nice set of carefully-assembled Kennedys, this coin would be a must. But if I had a few hundred bucks looking for a place to appreciate, I'd probably look at a newer bullion piece with some potential at the time of issue.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    This is the KING of the Kennedy Series. I just won the MS 70 OGH example on Heritage and its a great addition to any JFK set. It will always have value and its a "pride piece". My current example is a nice PCGS MS 69 and id be happy to negotiate a sale with you Texas2Step.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can purchase the 2 coin Commemorative set for about 1/2 of the price listed in the 2011 Red Book and am wondering if this might be a good investment. >>

Just curious... what's the price listed for this set in the 2011 Red Book?
  • $400 in the 2011 Red Book
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>I've thought about this coin from time to time, and I think that the time to have invested in it for the purpose of price appreciation was in 1998. It is a key in many senses of the word, but the series is beset by problems in the Mint's proliferation of coin programs that prevent anyone but a hardcore Kennedy Half collector from even paying much attention to the finer points, such as a satin finish in a specially-issued set.

In short, if I had a nice set of carefully-assembled Kennedys, this coin would be a must. But if I had a few hundred bucks looking for a place to appreciate, I'd probably look at a newer bullion piece with some potential at the time of issue. >>

This is good advice, it is simply a more popular 1996w dime to my eyes = A mint made promotion that isn't rare but falls on a widely collected series. If you have a full set of Kenn's I say you owe it to your self to get one but if you are just filling out an interesting box of 20 , I suspect you will tire of it after the novelty wears off and you will be stuck with a coin with a limited(compared to classics) market for resale. That is not to say it is unsaleable just the the spread on "moderns" is not the same as early CC coins or gold type.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    For an investment it would be long term and modest at best imo. But for a type collector with eye appeal in mind the 50¢ and 5¢ from the late 90's are must haves in a modern set, again imo.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I've seen these on the bay and the prices have come down from a couple of years ago.
    Now might be a good time to buy, a pcgs ms69 example sold for 177.50 a week ago.
    don't be quick to jump at the first one you see,there are alot of these around.
    figglehorn
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one and I'm not really a Kennedy collector. I just think it is a nice looking coin.

JH
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$400 in the 2011 Red Book >>

Thanks! FWIW... The newest Red Book I have is 2008 and the set is listed @ $420 there.
  • I like those very much. I don't see them as investments though...
  • I wouldn't call it the key, ever. It is a special finish coin, if we are including those then the 64 SMS half would be the key. THen going into 65,66,67 DCAM coins would be far more rare and much more of a key than the 98-S SMS coin. I own a set simply because I was offered one at 40% back of bid and I knew I couldn't lose money in the short term. Long term holding of this coin never crossed my mind.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I got mine it has went down in value. Not a investment coin or set IMO.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't call it the key, ever. It is a special finish coin, if we are including those then the 64 SMS half would be the key. THen going into 65,66,67 DCAM coins would be far more rare and much more of a key than the 98-S SMS coin. I own a set simply because I was offered one at 40% back of bid and I knew I couldn't lose money in the short term. Long term holding of this coin never crossed my mind. >>

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not good for dealers or flippers..... good to have if you are a Kennedy collector. Cheers, RickO
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking about adding one of these to my collection. What are the thoughts on this forum about the long term value? I can purchase the 2 coin Commemorative set for about 1/2 of the price listed in the 2011 Red Book and am wondering if this might be a good investment.

So looking for thoughts from greater minds than mine.............image >>

Long term value will only go down if it moves at all.

Buy the coin because you want it, not because it will earn you money or you will be sorely disappointed.

As for the coin being a "Key"? I just do not think so as its position in a Kennedy Collection is only warranted for a "Complete Kennedy Collection" and there are far more expensive and elusive Kennedy's out there than this one.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 35 of the JFK/RFK sets from the US mint in 1998. I still own 13 of the sets.
    I like the sets and the 63,500 mintage of the matte proof silver Kennedy half.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i guess if you collect the series and want to have a complete set you'll need to add one sometime. just watch prices at shops and at shows and buy the 2-coin set with all the Mint packaging/paperwork. then keep it in the capsules.

-----------as far as the Mint made addition, consider yourself lucky. i collect Jeffersons and they got us twice with a 1994 and 1997. i don't think i have either.
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>As for the coin being a "Key"? I just do not think so as its position in a Kennedy Collection is only warranted for a "Complete Kennedy Collection" and there are far more expensive and elusive Kennedy's out there than this one. >>

I have to respectfully disagree, the 1998-S silver uncirculated Kennedy is the “Key” to the series of the “basic set” so far with a mintage of fewer than 70,000. Just because the PCGS Registry has mistakenly omitted the 1998-S business strike coin from the “Basic Set” doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be there. Is there another 1998-S business strike Kennedy half dollar issued by the United States mint? If anyone looked at the “RULES’ page of the Registry, they would see under the “set definitions” for the “Basic Set (Date and Mintmark)” that : The Basic Set includes one of each date and mintmark in the series. For the most of the Basic Sets, varieties can be used in place of a non-variety coin. So the question is: Is there another 1998-S business strike Kennedy half dollar and if not, why does PCGS not include this coin in their version of a “Basic Set”?

I understand that PCGS might use the argument that the 1998-S silver business strike was only issued in a “collector’s set” but that argument will not hold water because there are several coins that were only issued in “collector’s sets”. Examples, for the Kennedy series include 1965 SMS, 1966 SMS, 1967 SMS, 1970-D, 1987 P&D, 1988 P&D and all proof issues came from “collector’s sets”.

<< <i> PCGS Set Registry Set Definitions

The following are the collecting options for coin collections listed in the PCGS Set Registry. The first group of sets listed below is for those collectors that what to specialize in an individual series, such as Morgan dollar, Buffalo nickels, $20 St. Gaudens, etc. You pick the series or type of coin you want to collect, then use the definitions below to decide how simple or complex you want your collection to be, based on your numismatic desires and budget. The sets are listed with the simplest, i.e. least number of coins required, sets first.

Date Set – The Date Set includes one coin for each year in the series. Any mintmark and any variety can be used as the “date” in your set. For example, a Morgan dollar Date Set could have an 1899-S, 1900-O/CC, and a 1901 for the 1899, 1900, and 1901 in the Date Set.

Basic Set (Date and Mintmark) – The Basic Set includes one of each date and mintmark in the series. For the most of the Basic Sets, varieties can be used in place of a non-variety coin.

Classic Set (Date, Mintmark, and Major Varieties) - The Classic Set includes one of each date, mintmark, and major variety, with the major varieties being those that have been recognized since the early 1970s. Examples of these long time recognized varieties would be the 3-legged Buffalo nickel, 1955 double die Lincoln cent, and the 1918/7-S Standing Liberty quarter. These sets are dated through 1964. The purpose of the Classic Set is to allow your current collection to be compared to the great collections of the past, such as the Louis Eliasberg collection, the only “complete” collection of U.S. coins ever assembled.

Major Variety Set (Date, Mintmark, and Major Varieties) – The Major Variety Set includes one of each date, mintmark, and major variety currently recognized by PCGS. Major varieties are defined as coins that are easily recognized as having major differences from other coins of the same design, type, date, and mint. Generally, major varieties are significant and can be easily seen with the naked eye. And where there are various “states” to a variety, the major variety is the state which is considered the strongest by the collecting community. For example, there are three states, or types, for the 1936 Double Die Obverse Lincoln cent. Only the Type 1, the strongest and most apparent of the three states, is considered a major variety and is included in the PCGS Major Variety Set for Lincoln cents.
    Note that new varieties are recognized each year and the number of coins needed for a Major Variety Set may increase over time. Also note that it is possible for varieties to be “delisted,” i.e. removed from inclusion in the Major Variety set. Sometimes varieties are misattributed by the numismatic community. For example, for years the pricing guides listed an 1869/8 Indian cent. Experts now state that this is not a 9 over 8, but “recut 9,” or “9 over 9.’ This minor recutting is a much more common occurring variety and is not considered major.

Complete Variety Set (Date, Mintmark, and all Varieties) – The Complete Variety Set includes one of each date, mintmark, and all major and minor varieties recognized by PCGS. Using the example of the 1936 Double Die Obverse Lincoln cent mentioned under the Major Variety Set above, for the Major Variety Set, only the Type One 1936 DDO cent is allowed in and necessary for the set. However, in the Complete Variety Set, all three types of 1936 DDO Lincoln cents are required for the set. Note that for early series, such as Large cents, Bust half dollars, Half cents, etc., the Complete Variety Set includes all die varieties as listed in the most recognized reference books. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file