Home U.S. Coin Forum

Keys and Semi-keys

I was wondering if this has ever been done or if anyone has such a list. It would be a great reference - has a list of all keys and semi-keys for every series ever been compiled?

If not, it would be great to start one here.

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering if this has ever been done or if anyone has such a list. It would be a great reference - has a list of all keys and semi-keys for every series ever been compiled?

If not, it would be great to start one here. >>

IMO, it would we a very controversial list. In some series, the "keys" are obvious (09SVDB, 16-D 10c, 16 SLQ, 11-D quarter eagle, etc.). In others, they are up for debate (what is/are the key date(s) for the seated quarter series?).

I personally have never embraced the "semi-key". When I see the term thrown around, it ranges from coins that are slightly less rare/expensive/in demand than the "keys" to coins that are slightly more rare/expensive/in demand than the commons. Often, it is used to promote or market a coin issue that needs some help.

To my knowledge, there is so such book.
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    Another problem that would need to be tackled (football playoffs!) is that it also depends on what grade(s) one may be collecting.

Some coins may be quite common in lower grades but can also be quite scarce in higher grades making those "common" coins a key or semi-key for someone who collects the higher grade(s).

Joe.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric Jordan's book covers Moderns & Modern Bullion - very well, in fact.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great question. I would consult the Redbook about that as a good first step. Sometimes Semi-Key coins "hide" in price giudes as they dont reflect what the coins are selling at, for example the 1909-O Barber Quarter.
  • The PCGS 3000 coin index has subsectors. One is the Key Dates and Rarieties index. This would be a list of keys, though some might still debate. Unfortunately, I could only find the full list, not the segmented lists.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=coinindex&filename=keys

link
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A case can be made for what are considered the real keys to a series, but the semi-keys? Now
    you are opening a big ol' can of worms that can be argued till the cows come home.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is/are the key date(s) for the seated quarter series?).

Well anyone could look in the RED BOOK and pick the coins with price tags of thousands in Good-VG. But that wouldn't necessarily get you the keys....but it would get you a list of all the uber-low mintage CC's. image

Among those who collect the series or follow it, the keys and semi-keys are pretty well recongized. There are about 20 keys and semi-keys in the seated quarters or about 20% of the series. And that's just for overall grades per date, not any grade rarities, or varieties. And those keys and semi-keys are probably rarer than any 20th century keys short of the 1927-D and 1933 Saints. Melting does have a habit of creating key dates, regardless of the century.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Keys = the coins I walk by at the show and don't even bother to ask the price of

Semi Key = the coins I am required to bend over and take it like a man to add to my collection.

Sleeper = Coin bought for below sheet from me but most certainly not sold at anything less then 50% above it to me

Common date = See "sleeper"

Widget = all of the coins once they reside in my collection

Dreck = dealer definition of other dealers coins that they will not make a % on
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keys = the coins I walk by at the show and don't even bother to ask the price of

Semi Key = the coins I am required to bend over and take it like a man to add to my collection.

Sleeper = Coin bought for below sheet from me but most certainly not sold at anything less then 50% above it to me

Common date = See "sleeper"

Widget = all of the coins once they reside in my collection

Dreck = dealer definition of other dealers coins that they will not make a % on

Oh, now that is image

Thanks for the morning laugh!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem is,everyone will have there defination
    of semi- keys.
  • BithrateBithrate Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Reviving this thread - was out of commission for a few days.

Ok, let's stay away from trying to identify semi-keys image

How about a list of keys for each series?

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Identifying the semi-keys is actually the most fun.
    Look at Barber Quarters for example.
    3 keys.
    More than a dozen semi-keys, some quite over rated- 11-D, 97-O, 04-O come to mind- my list is different from others.

Washington Quarters.
    Two keys.
    I was just at a B&M and the owner was looking thru a drawer, "I must have a roll of AU/Unc 32-S quarters in here! I'll never sell these."
    In MS 66? Things get more difficult.

I think you'd have to look through all the threads posted here to start your list.

Some people have posited some great opinions in their own specialized areas. This would be ripe for consolidation.
    Check out some of Roadrunners Seated Quarter musings. That's a mini-list. Somewhere in the forum catalogue.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Well, just for fun, thought I'd post my own definitions for one of the only series I know anything about, the 1/2-ounce proof platinum eagles...

Keys: 2004, 2008

Semi-keys: 2005, 2003

Sleepers: 2001, 2002

These are not all strictly related to mintages, either. The 2004 and 2008 are on the same par right now IMO because of the greater dispersion of the 2004. 2001 & 2002 are greater mintage than 2006, but no one has any idea how many of the earlier dates have been destroyed. The real picture won't emerge for years, maybe decades, and there will probably be some real surprises.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file