Home U.S. Coin Forum

United States Mint Recorder of Coins

I was just thinking, and I don't know if this idea is feasible, but I thought I'd elicit your opinions on it, what the hell? You see, I'm looking at some of my 2009 Lincolns, and I'm thinking, in 100-200 years from now, supposing, when one of my LP2s (the real neat one with the two thumbs on the reverse; namely, the WDDR-54/CDDR-37/1DR-036, or some such rare specimen like that) is heavily monster rainbow tarnished, and everybody here is trying to tell me it's "AT," or it's not "original," it might prove useful to us if we had a reasonable means of tracing the chain of custody on the coin to the date of its release from the U.S. Mint. So, basically, I'd like to know, what are your ideas are on that? Is it too much to ask for? Am I being selfish and immature, in other words? Should I rather be thinking, "Think not what the U.S. Mint can do for you, but what you can do for the U.S. Mint?" What are your opinions on that? Our counties maintain Recorder of Deeds offices for real estate, don't they? What's more important? In fact, Friday, I had some business at our local office; that's where I got the brilliant idea...

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Huh?

How would the US Mint be able to tell whether or not your coin came from one of the rolls it sold you since these were only available by roll sets in the first place?

How would the US Mint be able to tell whether or not you stored your coin correctly?

How would the US Mint sales staff be able to tell anything other than you paid $4.95 plus $4.95 S/H for a two roll set of coins?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and when whoever roll coins from the 1+ ton bags, they would have to stop and tend to the leftover coins that are less than a full roll. What do they do with them?

unworkable idea for what good?

It'd be better to have PCGS take a TrueView photo of it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real estate does not move around... it is fixed. Only ownership changes. Coins, move around, bought, sold, lost, traded, handled, tooled, tarnished, cleaned etc and there is no way to control what happens to a coin in private ownership. Land will always be there. Well, until the next big bang, anyway. Cheers, RickO
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Land will always be there. Well, until the next big bang, anyway. Cheers, RickO >>

Or a coast re-arranging earthquake.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Great questions, gang. You see, first of all, I'm envisioning every coin ever minted, from here to eternity, would be sniffed out. That's probably a foregone conclusion. At any rate, to the end of winning in the fight against "coin doctoring," I'm sure PCGS would be willing to do its part by leasing its proprietary, state-of-the-art technology to the U.S. Mint (for a nominal fee, of course...just to defray expenses). Then, of course, the U.S. Mint would simply require sworn affidavits, under penalty of perjury, accompanying the coin deeds, at the time of the recordings. How does that sound?

PS: That's it. I really must see my surgeon about that tongue stuck in my cheek. image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    coins arent serial numbered.......now currency on the other hand image

www.brunkauctions.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file