Home U.S. Coin Forum

Paid a quarter for a quarter

I was in a pawn shop today and saw this 1926 Standing Liberty Quarter. I thought it had character. I can only imagine the time this coin spent in a pocket over the past 85 years.
He had it marked for a dollar and I offered him 50 cents. He took it. I gave him two quarters and got one back in return.
What do you think? Did I get my quarters worth? Should I send it in for grading...just kidding.

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    go back.....buy more.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Go back and buy ALL of them!!! Silver quarters contain over $5 in silver!!

-Paul
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of years ago I found a handful of the SL quarters at the Antique Mall priced at $1 each, you betcha I snapped those up.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great trade! Go often, trade often image

As for grading, if you can get that down to a PO01, then definitely get it graded.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Go back and buy all the silver he will sell at those prices!
    Ed
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭

<< <i>Go back and buy all the silver he will sell at those prices! >>

And then sell them for melt? Hmmmn... call me old fashioned romantic, but I'd rather keep the coin when it's a dated SLQ with a story to tell.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • I agree. I don't think I could ever sell a coin for melt. They just tell to many stories to me.
    Maybe I will give it a few miles in my own pocket before putting it up.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. I don't think I could ever sell a coin for melt. They just tell to many stories to me.
    Maybe I will give it a few miles in my own pocket before putting it up. >>

Definitely look into the value placed on PCGS PO01s for low ball registry sets. They command a premium image
  • TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    how could he sell it for that??
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    >>how could he sell it for that??>>

your question may be rhetorical, but i'll still answer for you: a large number of them (pawn shops) deal in stolen goods so their cost for inventory is relatively low

www.brunkauctions.com

• HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>>>how could he sell it for that??>>

your question may be rhetorical, but i'll still answer for you: a large number of them (pawn shops) deal in stolen goods so their cost for inventory is relatively low >>

And not every pawn shop owner is coin savvy...
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    what happened to the idea he got it in a roll of coins and marked it up 400% for the coolness factor and took a 200% markup at the end of the day for doing nothing.

Just like how i got a 1881 cent out of a roll of pennies. had a readable ERTY in the head dress. and a few weeks earlier a 1901 with full LIBERTy in XF. finds do show up in common rolls still
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And then sell them for melt? >>

Get more and keep them. image

Some off beat places that turn inventory slowly might have silver priced below melt. I still see dealers with silver dimes in flips marked near $1, not sure they'd be happy to sell them as marked.
    Ed
  • Evert once in a while I have a dream about something like this happening too me. Never does it happen!!
  • And where is this pawn shop image

• << <i>Go back and buy ALL of them!!! Silver quarters contain over $5 in silver!! Not quite. Less than $3 actually.

-Paul >>

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to stroll the antique shops here this weekend.. they usually have some undervalued silver. Cheers, RickO
  • Yes you got a fairly decent dealimage
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you got a great deal on that. like it was said earlier go back and buy more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file