Home U.S. Coin Forum

Book review: A guide book of Franklin and Kennedy Halfs by Rick Tomaska

Anyone have a review on this book? Would this book be good for me; I am new to collecting and recently acquired a Proof Kennedy collection. Now I am trying to get all the kennedy half's in each mint, clad, proof, and silver proof in MS condition. Would this book help me out? Possible save me from getting ripped off if I do some purchasing on ebay?

The only books I have are: Warmans companion: US coins and currency 2nd edition, the new official red book of us coins 2011, and the experts guide to collecting and investing in rare coins by David Bowers. I am seeking out any other books to help me with grading and further educate me in US coin collecting; suggestions are appreciated. I was told Grading Coins by Photographs by David Bowers is also a good one to add to my library...

Appreciate any info, you guys are great!

Jason

Comments

• raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    Buy the book on Amazon.com. Only $14. Worth some info. Next one in a few years will be better. If you want help. PM me. Good luck. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Collect Kennedys? image

Save your money, buy bald headed Franklins.

Just kidding. image Are you collecting slabbed, raw uncirculated or raw circulated? If you are going after slabbed coins, and not top pops, consider about 25 - 35% off of the price guide as a good starting point.

Have fun. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is worth buying if your collecting Kennedy's.... also the grading book is worthwhile. Cheers, RickO
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ELYJ83,
    There is no book that will save you from getting ripped off in an ebay transaction. Getting a fair deal, much less a bargain, requires lots of experience--knowing what varieties are scarce and how to grade what you want to collect. Grading cannot be properly learned by reading books or looking at images on a computer screen. Instead, you need to physically look at LOTS of coins.

Ebay, like other auction venues, is a means to connect sellers with buyers, but the latter don't receive much protection regarding improperly described coins. Ebay is used as a dumping ground by coin doctors (particularly ones who artificially tone coins) and dealers alike. Coins that don't sell in face-to-face transactions commonly wind up on ebay. If there are coin shops in your neck of the woods, I would check their inventories out first.

I also recommend buying a copy of Scott Travers' "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual (7th Ed.)"
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Welcome!
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    someone gave me a copy of the book .................

umm , errrr .....................

I musta missed something .......... I can't say what I really think image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file