Home U.S. Coin Forum

Roosie guys at the FUN Show

Several of the usual suspects met at the FUN Show to trade coins and comments.

I had my set with me as did Brian Anderson who just won the roosie award from NGC along with the Modern set award -- well done!! Too bad his high grade coins aren't as pretty as mine!! image

Trust me, the roosie market is hot again for high grade, eye appealing coins:

Prices were HIGH for this premium material with few sellers. I witnessed a seller turning down $16K for two roosies --- that's some stiff money --- probably would have taken $20K+ to get the two coins!!! I also turned down $10K for one of my coins.

Several new very high grade coins were made. Watch the pop reports.

Overall, we ate some great food, played decent golf at TPC Tampa, and drank the best wine available outside Kryptonite Comics' stash...

another great show, hope to see more roosie guys next year in Orlando. Make your travel plans soon.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, if someone offered me $10k for your Roosie I would have taken it! image

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy coins with nice toning, but.......................are you kiddin' me?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Unbelievable. Cheers, RickO
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Can we see a pic of this beautiful Roosie pls? Thx.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    I was sitting in a hotel room with 4 Roosie collectors. I thought I was on a different planet. image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "Can we see a pic of this beautiful Roosie pls? Thx."

I can tell you it was NOT my icon coin. If you check my rainbowroosie set next door, you can probably figure out from the pops which coin it was. There are pictures of all coins.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭✭

OK I have to clear up one item. I offered Bill $10K for his NGC 1949P MS68*FT dime to make a point to another collector.
    The point being that Bill Kelley will "NOT SELL" any of his dimes period. Money does not play a part in Bill's collection.
    As Bill felt I was serious I know him well enough that he would turn me down cold. Especially after that bottle of
    wine he downed. He was also making a point to the same collector that if you want a coin bad enough you should
    pay whatever it takes to secure the coin. But, That only works for Bill as he never intends to sell and could care less
    if he can make a profit or not. His philosophy is wait it out, and in his case that means for life.

Now we're on our third bottle of wine and offers for super moon money are as common as $100 bills at the show.
    Yes, I turned down $16K for 2 Roosies. It was probably the wine talking, but the fact is these 2 Roosies simply
    were "NOT FOR SALE" and the offerer knew that. When something is not for sale, at that point of time money doesn't
    fit into the equation. As Bill always says..... Show me a better coin and we'll talk.

Don't take this as a new price level for Roosies. We're talking about the top 2 or 3 Roosies on the planet.

Nick
  • Next year you are going to have to let a Morgan guy with good wine back into the fold...I really missed hanging out with you guys this year image
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭✭
    One other thing I forgot and I really hate to post it here but since the OP started the thread on this side of the street.
    All the deals and coins discussed were in NGC holders. I couldn't sell 1 PCGS Roosie yet I saw near $25K worth of NGC
    Roosies trade hands. I offered out a PCGS 1950S MS68 for $1500 with no interest. I watched a friend offer out an NGC
    1950S MS68* for $2100 and sold it to the first dealer he showed it to. This dealer had already passed on mine. Both
    coins were pretty.

Edit to add.

It's not that Roosies are "HOT" it's that high grade NGC Roosie's with the "STAR" are hot.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Shane,
    Bring the best you have next year -- I mean wine and rainbow coins!!image

Nick,
    Your PCGS/NGC * comments are spot on.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I couldn't sell 1 PCGS Roosie"

Rest assured, others are not having that problem! image

Great story about Bill though ... he is what being a collector is all about!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    All, good stuff! Now we just need to find some of these rainbow roosies that no one else seems to be interested in. It's crazy how you can ask 100's of dealers at FUN if they have any/or are interested in high grade toned Roosevelts and you get the deer in the headlight look.

All I can say it was awesome having the opportunity to see Bill's set in person. Truly a First Class set with unbelieveable toning throughout.

I look forward to meeting some new folks next year and seeing some familiar faces as well.

Brian
  • Wow, on the PCGS Boards Brian? Welcome!

Dan
  • BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Is this PCGS? I better get out of hereimage
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was so hoping to meet some of these Roosie specialest at FUN this year, but it didn't work out. I collect Roosies also, but I am not in the same league as Nick and Bill and the others. Collecting all dimes and all varieties I obviously don't collect the grades these guys do. I am facinated by the staggering amouts that some of these Roosies go for.

My question to these guys is this. Since you chose to do one series and go top pop, what made you decide on Roosies? Just curious.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the day crowd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file