Home U.S. Coin Forum

My coins made Jan. cover of "Numismatist"

An article I submitted about Stone Mountain counterstamps was published this month and they used some of mine for the cover. I'm going to stretch and consider them plate coins.image BTW, if anyone has ever considered submitting an article and hasn't because of concern the writing isn't good enough - they do a wonderful job of editing and making everything coherent.

Steve

Comments

• good work on the publication image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats, wtg image
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Way to go!! Great to see more info published on these interesting coins!
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I'm waiting for my Jan. issue. I guess I'll get it when all the postal people are done reading it. :&gtimage
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Very cool. Looking forward to seeing them. Congrats!
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That is cool!

I have a letter in the issue as well. It's my third to The Numismatist, and third to be published. (The forum I mention is this one)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.... Post a picture when you can... Cheers, RickO
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Congrats, very cool!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, and yes, please post a picture when you get a chance!
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Congratulations! Having anything published is great.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...congrats! i saw that in the online version of the numismatist. very image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is useless without pictures!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the article and the cover! These coins have a very interesting background image
  • OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Here's a copy. The articles explains that the "SL" and "GL" were silver and gold lavaliers awarded to young ladies in a Stone Mountain half sales contest. The State numbers were determined by lottery.

Steve

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    congrats and if you need any avatar help let me know!image
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they pay your for the article and photos?
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    Thanks for the cover. That coin has a number, a state, and an award. I haven't seen one with all three before.
  • OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did they pay your for the article and photos? >>

Yes, they do pay. The cover picture is one they took.

<< <i>Thanks for the cover. That coin has a number, a state, and an award. I haven't seen one with all three before. >>

I'm lucky it's still in the bezel and undamaged. I've been looking for an "SL" example in a silver bezel for quite some time now. I had hoped to acquire one before the article came out - I may have to pony up a little more now if I ever find one. I have one of the U.D.C. examples damaged and with bezel removed that I'd like to upgrade if I can ever get one and am still missing about six of the State counterstamps.

Steve
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, Congratulation and I am very happy they did pay you.

I am a professional Photographer and I have also authored articles on photography (for pay) and I do know that many publications try to get work (photos, writing) for free saying that you will get great exposure which is BS.

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the cover. That coin has a number, a state, and an award. I haven't seen one with all three before. >>

I'm lucky it's still in the bezel and undamaged. I've been looking for an "SL" example in a silver bezel for quite some time now. I had hoped to acquire one before the article came out - I may have to pony up a little more now if I ever find one. I have one of the U.D.C. examples damaged and with bezel removed that I'd like to upgrade if I can ever get one and am still missing about six of the State counterstamps.

Steve >>

I noticed it was still in the bezel as well. Congrats on that piece and good luck completing your collection. image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    It's a good article.

I've always kept counterstamped coins in the hopes of someday reading something that explains the history behind them.

Ed
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file