Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just messed up big time!

I am stress. I just bought 5 Morgan dollars that are in ngc slabs. I wanted to crack 4 of them out an send them to pcgs as I feel they have a good chance of crossing. Problem is, the one I didn't want to crack out is a ms66 1885 cc Morgan. I accidentally did! I don't know if if will cross. Ouch!!!! Expensive lesson I have learned.

Comments

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Yea that's a potential problem. Maybe it will catch a 'plus' sign if it doesn't cross. Not the most expensive mistake I've ever made...but a few hundred is enough to get your attention for sure! Hope it works out and actually crosses. Guess no harm in trying now huh?

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the coin is still the same coin. If it is ms66 quality it "should" find it's way back into a MS66 holder.

Don't you just hate that feeling in the bottom of your stomach whan you come to realized that you just screwed upimage
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why crack them out at all?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I love raw, untarnished coins (kinda like ricko). I've been putting together a nice Morgan $1 set. After about 25 years at it, I've accumulated all of the common dates and am now focusing on the semi-keys. Well, with the Chinese fakes out there I am scared to purchase these raw, so I've amassed about 25 semi-key date Morgans in MS-63/64 PCGS plastic with the intention of cracking them out and filling those empty album slots. After 2 yrs of pursuing these semi-keys, I can't see myself cracking them out. image

Not the same objective as the OP, but I think it takes nads to crackout an MS-66 NGC. I really wish you the best in your cross-over attempt. Hope it all works out for you.

This reminds me of another thread where someone cracked out an MS-66 NGC coin only to have it graded MS-65+ with a gold CAC beanie. I ask, what's the difference and who the heck can tell?

When they start putting the minus (-) grade on coins or a big Red CAC sticker for "Not Solid" for the Grade then I will jump on that bandwagon. Right now, it's all Marketing gimmickry.

OK, stepping off my high-horse now. Carry on please.

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Just stick it back in the slab and superglue it back together. Your collection will never know!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just stick it back in the slab and superglue it back together. Your collection will never know!
    image >>

Yea, that would work. Didn't someone do that to a old NGC black slab and sell it on Ebay?
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it, you haven't made any mistake...yet.
    Send it in and wait to see if you did good or bad.
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>The way I see it, you haven't made any mistake...yet.
    Send it in and wait to see if you did good or bad. >>

I agree. I was excited to read that you cracked it open and it flew half-way across the room, landed directly in the drain while the wife or somebody was running the under-sink garbage disposal. Grin!!! image Good luck!

• << <i>

<< <i>The way I see it, you haven't made any mistake...yet.
    Send it in and wait to see if you did good or bad. >>

I agree. I was excited to read that you cracked it open and it flew half-way across the room, landed directly in the drain while the wife or somebody was running the under-sink garbage disposal. Grin!!! image Good luck! >>

Thats what almost happened! image
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a total loss. If its a nice coin, it should grade, but be ready for a 65 as a worst case.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • buy the coin not the holder
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Watch it go 67. LOL.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watch it go 67. LOL. >>

That thought also crossed my mind... how old was the NGC holder?

The crack-out game can go either way...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Well if you paid 66 money for it it may be a mistake. If you paid 65 money for it you dont have much to lose. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, it seems the holder/grade is more important than the coin. I attribute this in part to individuals who want to resell, and the rest who seek grades as a status symbol. Do not mistake what I am saying, I appreciate a high grade coin as well as anyone, it is just that to me, the coin is more important than the grade. If I acquire coin, it is because I like it, if it is also a high grade, great. Cheers, RickO
  • Looks like your commited now, send it in! I bet you will find you didn't mess up so bad.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Oops! I wish you the best of luck image
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I'd pocket it for a week and turn it into one heck of an au-58 for an everyman set image Like everyone else has said if you bought the coin not the holder then you have nothing to worry about.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck with your submission. Let us know how it turns out.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you think you might be doing too much cracking?
    LCoopie = Les
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanted to crack 4 of them out an send them to pcgs as I feel they have a good chance of crossing. >>

You do realize that if you are cracking them, you are not crossing. If they have a good chance of crossing send them in the slab.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file