Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where I started coin collecting

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
Back in 1972 I was in 7th grade and on some days I'd walk home from school and on the way I would always stop off at F&H Coin shop. The owner was Fred Iradi. The shop is in Whippany NJ. It was a long time ago but at the Fun show today, Fred's son, Fred Iradi, jr, stopped by to introduce himself. This brought back very old memories! Anyway, here is a picture of Fred and myself. The shop is still there, but is now "Fred's Coin Shop".

If you are ever in Whippany, stop in and say hi.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    I started around the same age and time, but did my shopping in Gimbel's basement at the Green Acres Mall and at the weekend flea market next door at the Sunrise Drive-In, all in Valley Stream, NY. I can't remember the names of the guys, but do remember what they looked like.
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story Rick!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • I have loved coins as long as I can remember. I used to go to the bank in Dallas, NC, also and get rolls of cents when I was in the 5th grade and did find an 09 VDB Lincoln in a roll. The neighboorhood store owner in Dallas, would let me take her Nickels and cents home and go through them. I would replace what I took. It has been a lifelong love affair.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great memory and story. Thanks for sharing.

The dealer I purchased coins from in my childhood was at FUN this year, as usual. It always brings up great memories for me too.

Nice to talk to you today, too, Rick. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting in 1977. I purchased my first coins from a coin shop at 5th and Tador Rds in Philadelphia. I believe the dealers name was Vince Zinnolli. I would go ther at least once a week and buy large copper coins. He sold me my first expensive coin 1793 chain cent. I hate that I no longer have the coin, maybe someday I will buy another.

PS MY name is Fred too!
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...He sold me my first expensive coin 1973 chain cent. I hate that I no longer have the coin, maybe someday I will buy another. >>

Must have been a repro if it was a 1973. LOL.

I bought my first chain cent last year. It's PCGS FR2 <sigh>. I too hope some day I can manage another, in F or VF. This will have to do for now.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two best friends were altar boys at church. They got into collecting by sorting
    and counting the collection plates, after church services. Father Cavanaugh was
    a collector and instilled the hobby into all his boys (did I really say that?).

Being a good friend they let me in on the game of collecting. I started by going to
    the local Wells Fargo and Bank of America back in the 50's with my allowance and
    buying penny rolls and searching and returning and researching and ad-infinitum.

It was great times. Neither of my best friends continued collecting.

I was hooked.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were no coin shops when I was a kid, at least not in the town I grew up in. Even now, there are only two in a 25 mile radius. Neither one would warrant more than a once a year visit. Cheers, RickO
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Rick, now I'm upset. I thought you were an old-timer and now find out we are the same age. Damn!!! image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I wasnt aware of coin shops as a kid but I did have a paper route...had a lovely deaf/mute couple that tipped me an indian head penny every week...if you want to know what happened to all those pennies then ask me about the time my older brother taught me how to play acey/duecyimage
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing that out to me. I wonder if he will give me my money backimage
  • Like the others, my first expensive coin was a 1800 large cent for $100 image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got started with my uncle back in the day. we used to go to one of the major cities and there was like 5 or 6 dealers in a 2 or 3 block area. it was neat to go see all that stuff. ( sure wish i had the bucks for some of it back then )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file