Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newb Question...

How does a buyer know a person is selling a silver proof coin when it looks just like the regular proof? For example a 2000 Kennedy... Is their anyway based on looking at a photo and the coin not being slabbed??

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I think that without looking at the rim it might be hard from a photograph.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S mintmark on all Kennedy proofs except 1964. 1964 Kennedy proofs had no mintmark but so did some non-proofs.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• How are the rims different? Do go on... image
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to see the rim or have it weighed
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver proof does not have copper showing on the edge. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>The silver proof does not have copper showing on the edge. Cheers, RickO >>

Does the 1964 silver non-proof have copper showing on the edge?

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

<< <i>You need to see the rim or have it weighed >>

Do you mean the edge? Don't the 64 silver non proof and the 64 silver proof both weigh 12.50 grams?
    Seems like 1964 should be the only tough year to determine since all other proofs have the S mintmark.

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I think you might be on to something with using the S mintmark.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you might be on to something with using the S mintmark. >>

Both the Silver Proof and Clad Proof have the "S" Mintmark
    All Kennedy proofs, both clad and silver, carry the S mintmark except for the 1964 proof which has no mintmark. Gonna have to go with the appearance of copper on the edge (except for the 64 proof) to determine silver. Since all 64 kennedy's are silver and the proof had no mintmarks (as did the Philadelphia non-proofs), 64's are gonna be tough.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver proofs weight 12.5 grs.

Clad proofs weight 11.50 grs.

Per the "Red Book"

All proofs 1968 and after carry a "S" mint mark.

Normally looking at the edge of the coin you can see copper but not in all cases is this true. I have seen several coins the did not show the core of copper.
  • loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Also... the silver proofs look blast white, while the clad don't.
    -Gabe
  • If you are buying on Ebay, or any other online sale,where you are looking at a photo, I would think the seller will state it is silver to ensure he gets the extra money. If he states it is silver and it is not, send it back, by the way, Welcome to the boards!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How does a buyer know a person is selling a silver proof coin when it looks just like the regular proof? For example a 2000 Kennedy... Is their anyway based on looking at a photo and the coin not being slabbed??

Thanks,

Jason >>

...weighing them is probably the best way. if they're proof sets then they will have different colored packaging,

provided they weren't screwed with. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file