Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Branding" gone too far in my opinion....Franklin collectors take special note.

As some of you know, two of my brothers are cops. One is a cop in Annapolis, Maryland (Eric) , the other (Ian) is a cop at Independence Hall in Philadelphia, PA, where the Liberty Bell is at.

My brother Ian, the one that works for the National Parks Service in Independence Hall, just told me that they just found out that the National Parks Service just closed a deal with YUM! Brands Inc., the owner of Taco Bell wherein Taco Bell just paid the National Parks Service (and the National Parks service just accepted) 35 million dollars to rename the Liberty Bell the "Taco Liberty Bell".

Ian, said they just found this out when a bunch of promotional signs and other stuff arrived at Independence Hall that are supposed to be put up evidencing the renaming. He says that the stuff is fairly tasteful, and that it is done without the bright colors and in kind of antique fonts in browns and blacks. Anyways, since the Liberty Bell appears on the back of the Franklin, I thought it would be appropriate for me to let you guys know.

Comments

• I think your brother is messin' with ya because he knows how much you like their napkins.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Very sad. I think the eagle on the back of the Washington Quarter is going to Kentucky Fried Chickenimage-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an old April Fools Joke.

Liberty Bell Hoax
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Liberty Bell NT or AT?
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have we had a few too many burritos and tacos today???image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    This was an April Fools joke from about two decades ago that initially fooled a lot of people.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

The ad reads:

Taco Bell Buys The Liberty Bell

In an effort to help the national debt, Taco Bell is
    pleased to announce that we have agreed to purchase the
    Liberty Bell, one of our country's most historic treasures.
    It will now be called the 'Taco Liberty Bell' and will
    still be accessible to the American public for viewing.
    While some may find this controversial, we hope our
    move will prompt other corporations to take similar action
    to do their part to reduce the country's debt.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Supertroopers scene is a classic.............image

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageMAO.... Good one... Cheers, RickO
  • This probably will give these numbskulls at the NPS an idea.
    Some low level functionary will pitch this and probably get a bonus and a promotion because of his "original thinking".
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    When the White House is purchased by White Castle is when I know this country is finally going in the right direction.

• There was just an article in the Philadelphia Sunday Inquirer on Independence Mall Park in Philly. It mainly dealt with the history of the development of the park in the 1950's- to the current most recent changes such as the President's House, The Constitution Center, etc. One thing that the article touched on was the lack of toilets, services, finished landscaping, etc, in the park due to the tight budgets of the NPS and the fact that the NPS refuses and prohibits corporate sponsorships. I'll try to find the article and post the link. It was actually pretty interesting.

Good for a chuckle though!

"I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way." - Franklin Pierce Adams

Positive BST Transactions: kalshacon

• << <i>My brother Ian, the one that works for the National Parks Service in Independence Hall, just told me that they just found out that the National Parks Service just closed a deal with YUM! Brands Inc., the owner of Taco Bell wherein Taco Bell just paid the National Parks Service (and the National Parks service just accepted) 35 million dollars to rename the Liberty Bell the "Taco Liberty Bell" >>

That reminds me of the joke about the Cardinals trying to raise money for the Catholic Church. They ultimately all convene in the Vatican, and, one-after-another, each tell the Pope how much money they were able to raise. The last Cardinal blows all the others away with his $100,000,000 commitment from Kentucky Fried Chicken. But, there's a catch, he tells the Pope. "You see, we must change the Lord's Prayer from, 'Give us this day our daily bread' to 'Give us this day our daily chicken.' The Pope lowers his head into his hand, then, slowly, looks back up, and remarks: "Well, hell, that's just great! Now what are we going to do about the Wonder Bread account?"
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The "Wonder Bread" account gets to do the little wafers and pass out balloons during communion.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new owner is an American, right?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now we can have the Artificially Toned Liberty Taco Bell Bowl and the Naturally Toned Taco Liberty Bell Bowl to look forward to as well.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

Oh crap Gil. I just spit some coffee. imageimageimage
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite surprised that Adrian posted this without researching it first.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It must be true the snake found it on the internet right? image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    A clever hoax 4/1/66. Not so clever today. Rebranding can be embarrassing.
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Is the Liberty Bell NT or AT? >>

NT - Napkin Toned
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Whats next? The Mickey D Statue of Liberty.

"Give me your hungry, thirsty masses, yearning

to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    this needs ttt so original poster can clarify some of his points

and stalk this threadimage
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Oh my golly....I can't believe I fell for it! Gee willickers, I feel so......so......so.....violated....

• ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    You guys crack me up sometimes... and this is one of them! image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file