Home Precious Metals
Options

Franklin Mint sterling rounds-what can expect to get for them?

NEED AN UPDATED PRICE PLEASE.

A friend has a bunch of Franklin Mint Postmaster rounds and 100 Greatest Masterpieces rounds.

I know the Postmasters are .79 troy oz of .925 each, not sure on the Masterpieces.

When all is said and done, what can I tell him to expect to get for these assuming silver at $34/oz?

Or would it be better to trade .925 to .999?

Comments

• Options
    I know this isn't too relevant, but what did he pay for them per oz. originally?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Sterling silver bars or rounds you may get from 5-10% below melt. I'm not sure if APMEX is still buying them. They used to sell them at about melt or just slightly over melt.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will be hard pressed to get more than 80% of melt. Sometimes you can get an extra 1-2% on Franklin Mint products.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    The last batch of sterling FM products went for $25.50 an OZ when silver was just under $31. The big guys were paying $26, but I would have to ship and insure it.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to see those Franklin Mint pieces get melted... The 100 greatest masterpieces are 2oz's each.
    They really are well made pieces even if they are the ugly redheaded stepchild of popular bullion.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know this isn't too relevant, but what did he pay for them per oz. originally? >>

No clue as to original cost (VERY HIGH, I'm sure!)

There were given to him by an aunt who passed away several years ago.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame that the FM medals or rounds do not demand a higher price. Their designs & artistry are far superior to most Art Bar or Rounds issued.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>It's a shame that the FM medals or rounds do not demand a higher price. Their designs & artistry are far superior to most Art Bar or Rounds issued. >>

I agree. This extends to most the designs of the US Mint.
    Their designers must not be in the mint's "preferred" club.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    update?
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    If they were bars I'd pay more than that and save em as bullion
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    sterling is so hard to sell...maybe 24 to 26 bucks an ounce.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx