Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone else think this coin is cleaned?

... or somehow otherwise monkeyed with?

I know that the pictures aren't the greatest and that lighting can wreak havok with perception, but the unnatural paleness of the devices compared to the fields screams "cleaned!" to me.

(I'm not considering buying it at all; it just seems to me like it belongs in a genuine holder)

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Talking about mop hair! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • What's going on with the 2nd "0" in 1800? Or is it just the lighting?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't appear so pale that I'd call it obvious cleaning. Personally I'd like a more uniform color but it looks ok to me.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It seems like it would take over 100 years for it to develop that much crud, so I doubt it is cleaned unless it was done a long time ago. Artificial crud?image---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    looks great to me.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not cleaned.... very nice coin. Cheers, RickO
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Nope. color looks a bit weird, most likely white balance. --Jerry
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it may have been lightly brushed with a camel hair brush.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• lets have a conversation about late 18th Cen early American Market acceptability rates and past and present copper preservation techniques
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    over two hundred years old, maybe someone thought it needed a little sprucing up, maybe not (not uncommon for early collectors). I think our hosts evaluated it properly and I like the coin (the value of this opinion is only needed if I'm interested in buying).
    Paul
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the experts didn't think it was cleaned. If it were mine I'd be considering an overhaul by NCS.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever taken an old coin...and made it a pocket piece for awhile? The high points lighten, while the fields remain darkish. Thats my theory here.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early copper is not my strongest area of interest, but it does look like it may be artificially colored just from comparing to my example which is a more common 1804 date, but almost the same grade (Mine is VF35). I have only owned two and they were both approximately the same color. Here is my 1804:

imageimage
    Dwayne Sessom
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    The coloration and wear pattern looks like a coin from about 100 years later. It makes me wonder if it was sitting around unciculated for a while before it entered circulation. I have a couple of British pieces from the early 1900s that look the exact same shades of brown on the high points and low points.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, totally doctored many moons ago.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • It just looks to me like a coin that was exposed to two centuries of weathering.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What concerns me more than the color is all of the junk/verdigris around the portrait and lettering on the obverse. It would not have naturally stacked up around only those devices, which would lead me to believe that all of the easy stuff was removed and what was
    left is what you see on the coin. JMHO Shag
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i guess this isn't one for the 'sniff' test. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Shag, even if she was cleaned, if that happened anywhere in the 19th Century, I believe the statute of limitations on that is 100 years. image
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shag, even if she was cleaned, if that happened anywhere in the 19th Century, I believe the statute of limitations on that is 100 years. image >>

Yeah, I would have to agree kurtdog! Shag
  • I don't think that coin has been cleaned.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She is beautiful just as she is.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    based on the pics , I would not buy this coine because it appears to have been worked on. Could be wrong but ....
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>based on the pics , I would not buy this coin because it appears to have been worked on. Could be wrong but .... >>

JC - if you're going to make an observation like this, could you at least qualify your remarks to help educate

the copper neophytes around here, like moi?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Joe means it looks to perhaps have been lacquered at some point long ago. At least, that would be my guess. But old copper is just so hard to judge for sure. Copper is very reactive and end up being any color depending on the chemical it reacts with.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    coindeuce

The orangish hue to the coin and the almost perfect crudding around the devices (seems to consistent to me) - I believe someone else alluded to that fact as well.

The color could be from the photo.

• << <i>

<< <i>Shag, even if she was cleaned, if that happened anywhere in the 19th Century, I believe the statute of limitations on that is 100 years. image >>

Yeah, I would have to agree kurtdog! Shag >>

Well, then, case dismissed! image
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    If the green stuff is bright florescent in hand, sell the coin. That is active verdigris and is slowly corroding the coin. If it's a dull green or almost gray, then you are fine. I think the look it has is nice otherwise!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file