Home U.S. Coin Forum

The best change find ever...for me

I got this back in change today at the local IGA. I mentioned to the cashier that she should check out the change in her drawer and there might be more finds. She gave me that look that all of us coiny's have experienced so asking her to look through the till for me wasnt going to happen.

Comments

• aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    WOW!
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I felt like a little kid driving home, I couldnt wait to get my loupe out and have a look image
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way cool change find.
    I'm stunned.

Have you checked your Cherrypicker's? image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! And some of the wear is recent! Congrats on a great find!!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    I gotta tell ya, my eyes aint all that great even with the loupe, looks like it might be a closed 3 ?
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Holy Hannah!!!
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    It looks closed to me! What a find man, I can imagine the shot of adrenaline you got realizing what you were just handed in change!!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine

• << <i>I felt like a little kid driving home, I couldnt wait to get my loupe out and have a look image >>

You mean you don't carry it with you?

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

<< <i>

<< <i>I felt like a little kid driving home, I couldnt wait to get my loupe out and have a look image >>

You mean you don't carry it with you?

Ron

image >>

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Awesome find!
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    very cool. Looks like a decent coin. well done.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    NICE!!!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you checked your Cherrypicker's? >>

Check your CPG, there's a nice RPM and a couple of DDOs to check for along with open/closed 3.
    It looks like there's enough of LIBERTY there so if it's one of the DDOs you'll see it there.

Cool find!
    Ed
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Holy Schnikeys!
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you checked your Cherrypicker's? >>

Check your CPG, there's a nice RPM and a couple of DDOs to check for along with open/closed 3.
    It looks like there's enough of LIBERTY there so if it's one of the DDOs you'll see it there.

Cool find! >>

I will, thanks.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got an 1873 "Closed 3" in CHANGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????

I am not authorized to administer this, and I know I am overcome with enthusiasm, but this might border on the "You Suck" classification. Probably not quite to that level, and far be it from me to suppose I could award such an honor (I can't), but wow . . that is COOL!

Drunner
    Ok, looking at the CPG, The jumbling of the date leads me to believe it is a closed 3. As for doubling on Liberty, hard for me to tell whats going on from the rub, somewhat flat and raw looking. Man...this is cool image

Edited to add: A "You Suck" would make my day/week...but I wont grope image
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    With a find like that, I would've paid her a couple bucks just to dig through the till. Who knows, there may have been an 1877 in there...

Nice score! image
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Let me add another WOW!
  • Holy carp, I wonder what collection that was stolen out ofimage
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Looks like a open 3 to me. I have a closed 3 $2.50 to compare it too but 187x anything is kinda cool. Its like the 1881 i pulled out of a box of cents they are around if you look so keep an eye open I think we can all take something away from this great find.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I can see the headline now "Coin Collector Burglarizes Store, Steals 1 Cent"----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I can give it out so "you suck" Congrats!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Great find. It's nice to know that we can still find some classics in circulation.

• << <i>And some of the wear is recent! >>

That's a good point. Great find! image

• << <i>I ...I mentioned to the cashier that she should check out the change in her drawer and there might be more finds. She gave me that look that all of us coiny's have experienced ... >>

Apathy is rampant in our society. That's why it probably was spent in the first place. The rest are probably in a Coinstar.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing... super find.... would make my day for sure. Heck, make my month. Cheers, RickO
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice find! That now beats the record of oldest coin I've seen found in circulation since I began in 2008. The previous record was an 1875 dime that looked to me like an MD find, and was posted on CoinTalk last year.

The oldest I've found personally was a 1912 cent.

I am convinced most people don't look at their change.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice find,. Good for you! I always look, latest find was a 42 dime in December & 1950 quarter in November.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • I should have congratulated you in my cynical post.

Congrats!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a perspective on a change find Indian cent.
    Back in 7-8th grade (late 50s) I feverishly sorted through all the change I got collecting on my newspaper route.
    It wasn't until a friend of mine, another paper boy, showed me a few indian cents he had in his coin collection that I ever even saw one.

I'd be interested to learn when they 'stopped' circulating (OP's experience excepted) early 50s - 40s?

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Swampboy, you can still find IHCs in bank rolls. The earliest one we've found was an 1865. It looked like it's been through a civil war, but, it was at least a find. I don't know if that means they're still circulating, though, as they could otherwise come from redemptions of collections. In 3 years, though, we found about 6 to 8 of these, can't remember the exact amount...
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    kurtdog, I have taken junk indians and buffalo nickels and salted my big coin jug with them and then turned them in. I think this is how some youngsters have gotten into collecting.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Tdec1000, I'll thank you and others like you for that generous attitude. Finding IHCs clearly lit the fire under my YN. Years ago, when I used to go through 5000-count bags, I had quickly got into the habit of redeeming most of the 50s and 40s, even many of the earlier dates, too, I wasn't keeping. It just didn't make sense to try to sell the darn things, and, besides that, made me feel good.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone's dad is gonna be ticked off!

Congrats
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone's dad is gonna be ticked off!

Congrats >>

My thoughts exactly
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what an excellent pick up in pocket change
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Very Very Nice......this is why we all look at our changeimage
    figglehorn
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Awesome find!
  • That is a great find!

I still have the 1905 IHC I found in my change one day. First one I saw in circulation (that I remember).
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Very cool!
  • Closed or open 3, that's still a rarer date. What a great find! Congratulations.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    GOSH!!!
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a neat find!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file