Home U.S. Coin Forum

Prices seemed to be pretty soft at FUN.

Did anyone else see or feel that ?

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I did not feel that at all. Most of my bids at Bowers and Heritage were epic fails.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone else see or feel that ? >>

No, I am (mostly) getting killed on my bids, too.

Edit: My bids are falling, literally, as we speak (so to speak).
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It's hard to be soft and have FUN! It just doesn't make any sense! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I disagree on the soft part, I got smoked on my bids in Heritage Live last night...I went 1 for 9
  • LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    I thought the many of the bust halves last night went for big money

• << <i>I thought the many of the bust halves last night went for big money >>

Can you give some examples of what the CBH's were going for?
  • Quarter Collector picked up a very nice 1821 Bust quarter XF45 in a PCGS holder with a CAC for just over $1700. I thought that was on the soft side. I could have seen it go for at least $2000 . PCGS Price quide has it for $1850. The coin was outstanding, and with the CAC sticker to accompany i expected to see a stronger price at auction.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was aggressive but got killed.
  • FrozeninkFrozenink Posts: 446 ✭✭
    I had picked out 10 Bust Halves in last nights auction that I was interested in. I wanted atleast 2 when all was said and done. Each coin when it came up in the auction was above my max and I was using the pcgs price guide.

The bust halves had the best action in the room as far as sparing back and forth.

Overall I thought prices were strong.

I ended up with 2 coins however I didnt preview them and I wasnt interested until until I knew I would have a hard time getting the ones I wanted.

I think I got both for under the true value but concerns me why they were reasonably priced.

Gary
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Bust material on heritage is far exceeding previous sales. I was watching a few, and they seem to be going as high as 1.5x to 2x previous sales.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Soft on what?
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    What I am seeing based on many of the current bids in the Morgan dollar section is that collectors are bid happy and way overpaying, unless the market recently jumped up 40% and no one told me.
  • I feel Bust Quarters were very soft and Seated Quarters somewhat. Besides my pick-up someone grabbed a original 1834 in AU 58 CAC for only $1,380, a 1818 in XF45 for $1,300, and a 1824 in XF40 for $4,300 I also had my eye on a 1842-O small date in F-15 that went for 2k and a 1869 (tough date) in XF40 for 1,300. Too bad I was broke image
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I won two coins, but paid dearly for the oppurtunity
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    I only had one bid in the B & M Auction, and a huge thanks to Steve Twitty, I got the coin.

Nothing soft about the price I had to pay for the coin but I knew that going in.

Still thrilled to add it to my collection.

Mike
    AnkurJ

That's exactly what I was seeing. Was it because these were extremely choice coins or has the au market moved? I was amazed though. I guess I will have to try and win a few in the next round.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I placed 17 bids on Bust Half Dollars in AU and low MS PCGS holders. Five of my bids I considered definite moon money, lost them all. I ended up winning a single R3 coin in a marriage I needed, winning at exactly my max bid of $1955, well above PCGS suggested retail. Two of those moon money Busties I lost by $109 each, including the juice. I am not a happy camper. From here on, I refuse to spend so much time researching so as to bid properly. I will just come up with my bids just before closing, and hope for the best.

One coin that sold twice over the past few years, sold for $4600, twice what it previously sold for. The Allgood Collection sale must have given the seller a very happy feeling, and a very large profit. Bust Half Dollars are ever so popular.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

<< <i>AnkurJ

That's exactly what I was seeing. Was it because these were extremely choice coins or has the au market moved? I was amazed though. I guess I will have to try and win a few in the next round. >>

It seems anything with even lightly attractive toning went high. I'm glad my set is done! Was looking for a few upgrades but so much for that. An 1823 that is Net auction only with nice color PCGS AU58 CAC in an OGH is at $2300!! Last few went for $800-$1000! Too rich for me.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I did buy one from the Allgood Collection that I had been staring at the last couple of months. I paid about $400 more then I really wanted to, but I figured I would probably regret it a few months down the road looking at it in the auction archives:

PCGS AU-55 CAC: O-103, R1

edited: to post smaller Heritage image
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I went 0 for 4. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Wow! A whole thread of underbidders! At least the coin market is healthy--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I was aggressive but got killed. >>

Ditto, I was shot down....
    Those prices sure make an XF bust half coins seem way undervalued.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..did you win the PCGS MS67 1942-P Quarter @ 5 graND ?image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patches, that's a terrific looking coin!!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like it's 2007 all over again. It must be the switch to the Tampa location that is providing all this mojo.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Good show to consign to them it seems.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im seeing alot of strong prices in many different areas- but also witnessed a couple of steals.

Overall It looks like a good heartbeat.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    On DLRC we bid a dollar to double any previous auction price, and still got outbid.

On ebay we won a dollar for less than any previous auction price.

On heritage, i looked at the prices realized... but never bid image

Prices look pretty strong for the most part though.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 64 2007-W burnished ASE at $2 over spot with boxes and papers from a dealer set up at the FUN show. Other dealers only offered melt, he was thrilled to get $2 over spot...and so was I.image
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0 for 3 at the Bust half bonanza. Thinking about cracking out a couple I have, pocketing them for awhile and seeing if I can get
    them downgraded to AU 58.
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I did buy one from the Allgood Collection that I had been staring at the last couple of months. I paid about $400 more then I really wanted to, but I figured I would probably regret it a few months down the road looking at it in the auction archives:

edited: to post smaller Heritage image >>

Grreat looking bustie, look a bit undergraded, what you guys think? >>

I am not holding it in hand, but to my tastes, that's about the most attractive CBH I have ever seen.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • NGC=soft
    PCGS=strong
    CAC=Insane
    PNG Meeting= insanely strong image

<< <i>NGC=soft
    PCGS=strong
    CAC=Insane
    PNG Meeting= insanely strong image >>

So what is NGC + CAC?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I placed 17 bids on Bust Half Dollars in AU and low MS PCGS holders. Five of my bids I considered definite moon money, lost them all. I ended up winning a single R3 coin in a marriage I needed, winning at exactly my max bid of $1955, well above PCGS suggested retail. Two of those moon money Busties I lost by $109 each, including the juice. I am not a happy camper. From here on, I refuse to spend so much time researching so as to bid properly. I will just come up with my bids just before closing, and hope for the best.

One coin that sold twice over the past few years, sold for $4600, twice what it previously sold for. The Allgood Collection sale must have given the seller a very happy feeling, and a very large profit. Bust Half Dollars are ever so popular. >>

Ditto! I put a ton of time into identifying coins from the Allgood Collection that I wanted, and weeded some out to come down to two groups, one warranting aggressive bids, and one warranting moon money. I finished second on a bunch of coins. I won none! Some of my bids were idiotic and I still lost. I was surprised that floor bidders basically just kept the prices moving higher. Something has to give here, because unless these coins are going to sit in strong hands for the next 20 years, who is going to buy them for more than they went for anytime soon? Stay tuned.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Didn't see too much NGC/CAC...

I wonder what the percentage of PCGS coins that will CAC is compared to NGC coins...

Any guesses?
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Price for some stuff went real strong (aka the stuff you don't see every day). I noticed that the S-VDBs in 66 red went pretty cheap though.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't see too much NGC/CAC...

I wonder what the percentage of PCGS coins that will CAC is compared to NGC coins...

Any guesses? >>

I asked John this last year. He said it was close to the same. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>Didn't see too much NGC/CAC...

Any guesses? >>

I can only tell you based on my recent submissions. 7 out of 9 NGC coins stickered. 14 out of 16 PCGS stickered.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Price for some stuff went real strong (aka the stuff you don't see every day). I noticed that the S-VDBs in 66 red went pretty cheap though. >>

Thats because someone just finished selling a unc. roll of them, all pcgs graded, on e-bay--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Soft? I was about to make a post about how I was glad I saved my money and stayed home!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I did buy one from the Allgood Collection that I had been staring at the last couple of months. I paid about $400 more then I really wanted to, but I figured I would probably regret it a few months down the road looking at it in the auction archives:

I am not holding it in hand, but to my tastes, that's about the most attractive CBH I have ever seen. >>

I agree
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    In the Bowers and Merena auction I was the winning bidder for one whole lot. Prices realized were strong but many of the coins were well worth premium prices.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they were soft. I had one coin in my sights that I wanted and bid over 2x PCGS guide to make sure I got it. I got it and evidently outbid somebody's moon money bid while doing so. Got it at 175% of PCGS guide!

Between this purchase and trying to find the pucks, I have overspent my yearly coin budget and the first week of the year is not over yetimage
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's all about the luster. She's got everything else needed for a 58. Looks like a slider.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    My pockets lacked depth to pursue anything from Allgood Collection. I feel for those who did their research and got bombed out. But, it is what it is and congrats to the winners. Now to watch the price guides adjust, eh?
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least I cost you (and the winners on 3 other halves) some money.

0-4 on my bids.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the OP referring to bourse prices? Auction prices can be affected by bidders who aren't on site.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auction prices for collector grade (VF) Bust and Flowing Hair dollars were down, at least the ones I was tracking were down...
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭
    Can someone please PM me a link to the FUN auctions.

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file