Home U.S. Coin Forum

Presidential dollars and future value

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
When the Presidential dollar program started, I purchased some rolls of the first few Presidents to put aside, thinking maybe the children would be interested or maybe someday they would be worth something. Lots of coins get put away for that reason. Of course, this was not the case. I paid a small premium for them, so they are in the numismatic bucket, not the spending money bucket. I am considering spending them, unless someone can give me a well-reasoned explanation why they may be worth holding over time. Right now, they are taking up space in an already cluttered drawer.

On another related note, I just purchased another $250 "direct ship" brick of $1's from the US Mint. It took me about 9 months to spend the Native American $1's last year, but the family had a lot of fun doing it. Like the time my son asked for $20 to go to a movie. I asked him to hold out his hand, and he looked on in horror as I counted out 20 $1 coins.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go ahead and just spend them. Then mine might be worth something someday.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    my opinion is to spend them at your lesure, that they will never be worth more that $1.

I think maybe the mint issued Sacajawea rolls could have value someday.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>Like the time my son asked for $20 to go to a movie. I asked him to hold out his hand, and he looked on in horror as I counted out 20 $1 coins. >>

That poor boy. I hope he wasn't going on a date image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Like the time my son asked for $20 to go to a movie. I asked him to hold out his hand, and he looked on in horror as I counted out 20 $1 coins. >>

That poor boy. I hope he wasn't going on a date image >>

Nah, he is too young for that.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Took me about as long to spend 250 of the 2010 Native American dollars. However, that included packing 50 of them into a little treasure-box as a baby-shower gift.

(Yes, I went to a baby shower.)

If I were you, I would spend them. I don't think their numismatic value will keep up with the rate of inflation; they'll just depreciate as the cost of living increases. :-/

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On another related note, I just purchased another $250 "direct ship" brick of $1's from the US Mint. It took me about 9 months to spend the Native American $1's last year, but the family had a lot of fun doing it. Like the time my son asked for $20 to go to a movie. I asked him to hold out his hand, and he looked on in horror as I counted out 20 $1 coins. >>

Just took my daughter to see Tron 3D. I paid for our tickets with a handful of President Dollars. That cashier doesn't know how to count coins efficiently.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>On another related note, I just purchased another $250 "direct ship" brick of $1's from the US Mint. It took me about 9 months to spend the Native American $1's last year, but the family had a lot of fun doing it. Like the time my son asked for $20 to go to a movie. I asked him to hold out his hand, and he looked on in horror as I counted out 20 $1 coins. >>

Just took my daughter to see Tron 3D. I paid for our tickets with a handful of President Dollars. That cashier doesn't know how to count coins efficiently. >>

Next time pay them in Ameros!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not worth saving.... spend them while they are still spendable... Cheers, RickO
  • The Only way to Preserve Value for Presidential Dollars, IMHO

Get the US Mint Sealed Presidential Dollars First Day Coin Cover series.

They are FIRST Day of Issue, Certified by US MINT.

2010 Abraham Lincoln $1 Coin Cover (P36) at US Mint

NGC puts together a great encasement/slab if you want to go that far, but otherwise if not certified by US Mint, to me ANY PD in the series is just a 7 cent slug.

The current commotion going on for the America the Beautiful Series reminds me of the time that a group of 3-4 members (Floridabill, myself and others led the charge) on the PCGS Coin Fourm purchased nearly 20-25% of the TOTAL US Mint production of the George Washington Presidential Dollar First Day Coin Cover Series (50K Units @ $14.95ea. ) and were seling them near $50 each on EBay.

We were buying them by the Case units (50 per).

I still have nearly 300 Units, 200 I opened and kept. My hoard have an enomus number of Mint Errors, it is stunning! All certfied First day of Issue ;>

Casman got a hold of Case #1 of 1,000 of the GW FDCC and sold that and made a killing. Funny thing is he's doing that now for the ABT's, lol!

The US Mint then imposed 10 Unit limits for the next series for Adams (10 per household).

You would have thought that the US Mint would have learned a lesson on the George Washington Presidential Dollar First Day Coin Cover debacle were 3-4 secondary buyers step in and cornered the market. We were NOT even authorized and they put limits on the series! In the ABT, the MINT created the Cartel!!. LOL, Idiots, I swear, not one of them would make a go of it in a real business, not one!

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat with some rolls from the bank.
    But would like to ask if the mint sealed boxes of them will ever be worth the premium paid for them. I have a bunch of them also.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

Just took my daughter to see Tron 3D. I paid for our tickets with a handful of President Dollars. That cashier doesn't know how to count coins efficiently. >>

Spend some of those Peace dollars! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • I just had a conversation with a collector/dealer friend earlier this week. We both agreed that the President Dollars would probably be the single worst investment of all the current or recent US Mint offerings. They are not and probably will not circulate as pocket change, so in a hundred years most of the Pres Dollars will be UNC. They have no precious metal content, so it's doubtful if any will be melted for any reason. (I don't think you could use the metal to make bullets). Thirdly their appearance, design and color are awful! Even an uneducated guess would forecast huge supply and low demand forever. If only I could talk myself out of buying those rolls. imageI am confident this desire to buy Pres Dollars is my most idiotic coin habit.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! I do that with the wife when she doesn't go to the ATM on her own.....she gets ready to leave for work and says "ummm...do you have any cash so I can buy lunch today?" And I reach over, grab a roll and say "have $25"...heh......her co-workers thought it was cool at first and then they started laughing at her. Of course, now she does rifle my wallet if I am not careful image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saved several rolls each for a while but lost interest and ended up spending them. If they were actually circulating coins I might have retained them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you spend them, check the edges!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>Definitely not worth saving.... spend them while they are still spendable... Cheers, RickO >>

Well, I am going to go downstairs right now and give my son his allowance... image

• << <i>Definitely not worth saving.... spend them while they are still spendable... Cheers, RickO >>

Well, expert numismatist and former president of the ANA, David L. Ganz, might disagree with you. image
  • aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

While we are talking about the new dollar coins. Every week or so I ask my local bank for a roll to spend. I'm looking for several in the series to have one of each so I ask if they have any new rolls.

Several times they tell me yes and I get a roll of George Washingtons. So everyone is right on about these coins not circulating.
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still holding my first year Sacagawea Dollar roll in one hand and I'm rubbing my lucky rabbits foot in the other. I'm still waiting......

Anyways, I think you'll be out of luck on those too.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Nobody today wants to carry change in their pockets because it is useless.

Years ago change meant something unlike today it's just a nuisance.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nobody today wants to carry change in their pockets because it is useless.

Years ago change meant something unlike today it's just a nuisance. >>

AWhen silver was used in American coinage, it really only involved 2 out of the 4 coins used on a daily basis anyway. Folks used halves back then as much as they do now and the silver dollar was never used in regular daily commercial transactions since most folks just hoarded them away due to the dates. Silver was not considered anything "special" on the change front so a pocket full back then had the exact same nuisance value as it does today.

I just got back from England where they have the following coin denominations:

1 penny
    2 pence
    5 pence
    10 pence
    20 pence
    50 pence
    One pound
    Two pounds

Yet..............nobody whines about the lack of One pound or Two pound notes. They simply use the coins afforded them.

As for our Dollar coins, numismatically speaking, only the error's and high grade examples have any value but then, thats true for ANY current US coin. I personally don't think that rolls of the dollar coins will ever garner any significant value in our lifetimes or even our childrens lifetimes and unless you are a roll hoarder, seeing any type of profit will be difficult.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i agree lee. hey that rhymes! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, before any of you spend them elsewhere, I'm still looking for the following that I'd like to trade for:

2007-P John Adams (1)
    2010-P Lincoln (6)
    2010-P Sac (4)

I have a few misc loose Pres $'s to trade, as well as some loose 2010-D Sacs & what I believe to be a 2010-D Sac roll.

Please PM me if interested.

Thanks!

- - Daveimage
  • I know the feeling. I have a P and D roll of all the Presidents and the Sacagawea's.

Almost $1300 face.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These dollar coins are the most beat up, from the mint, coins I've ever seen.

Try getting any 66's or 67's.

These might in fact be the only way to collect them.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold 6 Geo. Wash. Presidential Dollars on eBay in December 2010.
    All were PCGS graded MS66 and "First Day Issue."
    I paid on average $23/pc. back in 2007.
    Current PCGS Price Guide: ~$50

Here were the results"

$4.50
    $2.84
    $6.49
    $4.25
    $2.26
    $2.26

Hope that helps anyone thinking about collecting/buying/hoarding these coins.
    These coins are best given to YN's with their collecting future way ahead of them!!!
    Better yet, they work great as tokens for light rail and subway systems!!! image

<< <i>I sold 6 Geo. Wash. Presidential Dollars on eBay in December 2010.
    All were PCGS graded MS66 and "First Day Issue."
    I paid on average $23/pc. back in 2007.
    Current PCGS Price Guide: ~$50

Here were the results"

$4.50
    $2.84
    $6.49
    $4.25
    $2.26
    $2.26
    image >>

I have heard enough. I will spend them ASAP!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be on an anti-ATM kick for a week+ to offset the xmas credit card check I just wrote. I will be spending mine to give a paycheck or 2 time to build back up in the ol checking account.

Although I have had a roll of Tylers in my jacket pocket for over a week and haven't spent one yet.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file