Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about the ATB Hockey Pucks...probably stupid

dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
If this is a stupid question or one that's been asked 1000 times I'll delete the thread...and please excuse my ignorance because I haven't read all 4200+ posts in that big-a$$ thread. Here goes: I got my name on a list from one of the mint's exclusive sellers or whatever. I got the email today that the 5 coin sets were available. The order form asks for my SSN and in the fine print mentions something about tax ID # and withholding information and blah blah. Is that odd? Or is it because it's the govt selling the coins or???

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question...I've just never come across something like it before.
Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a stupid question. Some of the AP's are doing that to comply with the Mint's requirement that the AP sell only one set to a customer.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is a stupid question or one that's been asked 1000 times I'll delete the thread...and please excuse my ignorance because I haven't read all 4200+ posts in that big-a$$ thread. Here goes: I got my name on a list from one of the mint's exclusive sellers or whatever. I got the email today that the 5 coin sets were available. The order form asks for my SSN and in the fine print mentions something about tax ID # and withholding information and blah blah. Is that odd? Or is it because it's the govt selling the coins or???

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question...I've just never come across something like it before. >>

Actually Federal Law requires all financial institutions to record and verify information to identify each person who opens an account.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If this is a stupid question or one that's been asked 1000 times I'll delete the thread...and please excuse my ignorance because I haven't read all 4200+ posts in that big-a$$ thread. Here goes: I got my name on a list from one of the mint's exclusive sellers or whatever. I got the email today that the 5 coin sets were available. The order form asks for my SSN and in the fine print mentions something about tax ID # and withholding information and blah blah. Is that odd? Or is it because it's the govt selling the coins or???

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question...I've just never come across something like it before. >>

Actually Federal Law requires all financial institutions to record and verify information to identify each person who opens an account. >>

True with financial institutions ... but AP's are not financial institutions and less than $10k is involved.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< If this is a stupid question or one that's been asked 1000 times I'll delete the thread...and please excuse my ignorance because I haven't read all 4200+ posts in that big-a$$ thread. Here goes: I got my name on a list from one of the mint's exclusive sellers or whatever. I got the email today that the 5 coin sets were available. The order form asks for my SSN and in the fine print mentions something about tax ID # and withholding information and blah blah. Is that odd? Or is it because it's the govt selling the coins or???

Actually Federal Law requires all financial institutions to record and verify information to identify each person who opens an account. >>

True with financial institutions ... but AP's are not financial institutions and less than $10k is involved. >>

So, like CptHen said, it's just to verify that they're only selling one to a customer...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Other posts have indicated APMEX does not require SS number or drivers lic. I too was concerned with giving that information as MTB wanted it for their orders. I assume MTB is a very fine company, but I am paranoid about giving both my SS number and a copy of my driver's lic out as that is all that is needed for somebody to steal your idenitiy. I will gicve my credit card data but not SS and drivers lic. That data is not needed for a $1000 dollar sale of coins
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< If this is a stupid question or one that's been asked 1000 times I'll delete the thread...and please excuse my ignorance because I haven't read all 4200+ posts in that big-a$$ thread. Here goes: I got my name on a list from one of the mint's exclusive sellers or whatever. I got the email today that the 5 coin sets were available. The order form asks for my SSN and in the fine print mentions something about tax ID # and withholding information and blah blah. Is that odd? Or is it because it's the govt selling the coins or???

True with financial institutions ... but AP's are not financial institutions and less than $10k is involved. >>

So, like CptHen said, it's just to verify that they're only selling one to a customer... >>

===================================================================================================

Selling to one customer. Yeh right! I know several people who have bought many sets from the same AP, however the means of acquisition.
    A social security number isn't stopping anyone. By the way, I think Prudential might come in as a Financial Institution.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be that they are asking for the info thinking it is required by the new 1099 requirments this year.

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    A conspiracy theorist would have a lot of fun with this thread, government collecting ssn's to get our gold, the whole distribution fiasco was a way to have the 9 AP's test a new gov. system etc.image-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have always done this.

OK, for <$1000 of silver to a one time customer they do not require this knowledge.

However, I will put it out there that having this info is their "system."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file