Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help on a find at work. Please

I found this quarter and wondered from the scans if you can tell if it is a clad error or something else. I was also wondering if its an error missing clad on both sides, how much do you think it would sell for at auction. Like Ebay. I found a state quarter a while back like it and sold that one but this one is a little older and missing both sides.

image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to weigh the coin.
  • I'll have to buy a scale I guess.
    Here is the one I sold 2 yrs ago
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • If it was missing the outer clad layer on both sides, I'd think it would be too thin to strike up as fully as it appears in your picture.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP's coin is simply dirty and/or oxidized. Possibly a metal detecting find. It wouldn't hurt to get a weight to confirm, but I'd be surprised if the weight was abnormal.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1972 half dollar colored up like that. It's weight is 11.03 grams. I have a pocket piece 1976 half dollar that is AG-2 or so that weighs 10.79 grams. The denisty of copper is about 8.96 g/cm^3 and the density of nickel is about 8.9 g/cm^3 (very close in density)

Take some quarters to a jewelery store with a scale. The weight of an uncirculated one is about 5.67 grams.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a dug quarter... it is fully clad. Just affected by the soil chemicals. Cheers, RickO
  • Agree with Ricko..have pulled MANY quarters out of the ground metal detecting and almost all the "pre" state quarters look like this....nothing special, but if you find out it is....let me know....i have a bunch I'd like to sell! image
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    A missing clad layer error is missing on one side of the coin only about 99.9% of the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file