Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do you determine if toning is synthetic or aged?

When I say synthetic, I mean heat toned or chemicals. I am having a difficult time trying to determine what is aged. I am trying to find a decent raw or graded Morgan with nice toning.

For example is this ebay auction of a morgan -> EBAY

Should I stay away since it is not graded? What are your thoughts on that toning? From my understanding if it has greens in it it is most likely aged toning.. I appreciate any information as I am new to toning..

Jason

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That coin would not slab.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    When you find out, please be sure to send the answer to PCGS. Could save them much court time.image
    Paul
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a forum search on tarnish (toning for the sophisticated).... there are mostly BS threads since most contributors have no scientific knowledge of the topic - and furthermore, refuse to learn, but some truly factual threads are available (TomB did an excellent treatise on tarnish). One thing further, if done expertly, no one can tell the difference, no matter what they may claim. Cheers, RickO
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TomB's analysis of toning is first rate. ALL should read this....all who want to put toned coins into their collection.

My only advice is NEVER buy a toned coin that looks completely unlike any other toned coin youve seen....and this one fills that bill.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the terminology is
    AT or artifically toned
    vs
    NT
    naturally toned

LCoopie = Les
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do a forum search on tarnish (toning for the sophisticated).... there are mostly BS threads since most contributors have no scientific knowledge of the topic - and furthermore, refuse to learn, but some truly factual threads are available (TomB did an excellent treatise on tarnish). One thing further, if done expertly, no one can tell the difference, no matter what they may claim. Cheers, RickO >>

Rick is absolutely right. A chemical reaction (tarnish / toning) is a chemical reaction whether it happened last week or last century. Anyone with a basic knowledge of metallurgy and chemistry could "doctor" a coin, but there are a few people with enough expertise to fool even the best experts.
    The thing that you have to accept in this hobby is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really like how a coin is colored (whether it be AT, NT, or unknown), then that's all that really matters. The only exception would be with really high end coins that could be a potential massive loss of investment. If you are in the coin purely for investment, just steer clear of any questionable examples.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do a forum search on tarnish (toning for the sophisticated).... there are mostly BS threads since most contributors have no scientific knowledge of the topic - and furthermore, refuse to learn, but some truly factual threads are available (TomB did an excellent treatise on tarnish). One thing further, if done expertly, no one can tell the difference, no matter what they may claim. Cheers, RickO >>

I'll take as many of these as you can make at 2x sheet.image The die clash will be a nice extra, but not necessary.

theknowitalltroll;
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

I'll take as many of these as you can make at 2x sheet.image

image >>

I printed 100 copies of your TrueView on photo paper. You can send the money to my PayPal account. Thanks! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>That coin would not slab. >>

Just curious of why it would not slab?

Is it cause of the scratch on the on the edge of the coin (8 o clock) or the many scratches throughout the surface? What would you rate it.. VF?

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The thing that you have to accept in this hobby is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really like how a coin is colored (whether it be AT, NT, or unknown), then that's all that really matters. The only exception would be with really high end coins that could be a potential massive loss of investment. If you are in the coin purely for investment, just steer clear of any questionable examples. >>

Best advice for a new member I have seen posted in quite a while. Well done.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

RickO, I have a sneaking suspicion that you are a closet toned coin hoarder..... that way you can get all the good bargains. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple if you want a toned coin in a slab buy it that way. That even purple looks about what it takes to make sure the turkey is done.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> The thing that you have to accept in this hobby is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really like how a coin is colored (whether it be AT, NT, or unknown), then that's all that really matters. The only exception would be with really high end coins that could be a potential massive loss of investment. If you are in the coin purely for investment, just steer clear of any questionable examples. >>

Best advice for a new member I have seen posted in quite a while. Well done. >>

Why thank you! I learned the hard way... (buying raw and hoping they would grade) I still keep a raw album and buy raw coins I like, but NOT in the hopes that they will grade.
    If I want a slabbed coin, I now buy it that way. image
    Dwayne Sessom

• << <i>When I say synthetic, I mean heat toned or chemicals. I am having a difficult time trying to determine what is aged. I am trying to find a decent raw or graded Morgan with nice toning.

Should I stay away since it is not graded? What are your thoughts on that toning? From my understanding if it has greens in it it is most likely aged toning.. I appreciate any information as I am new to toning..

Jason >>

I wouldn't buy that coin if I wanted nice NT. It won't slab because it is AT for sure.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • TevaTeva Posts: 830

<< <i>When I say synthetic, I mean heat toned or chemicals. I am having a difficult time trying to determine what is aged. I am trying to find a decent raw or graded Morgan with nice toning.

Jason >>

Welcome Jason and yes that coin is a AT coin.
    You may want to try and to craft your questions more directly
    so your post doesn't don't go so far off the reservation.
    I had to learn the hard way and your thread gets so far off topic
    that you never get your original question answered if your not carefull.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing to note. The eBay seller has 100% positive feedback. Do not let the eBay feedback rating of the seller mislead you.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From my understanding if it has greens in it it is most likely aged toning.. >>

Here's a green coin:

• TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>One other thing to note. The eBay seller has 100% positive feedback. Do not let the eBay feedback rating of the seller mislead you. >>

I agree. That is an obvious AT coin.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> tarnish (toning for the sophisticated).... >>

Patina for those who collect ancients or who are ancient themselves.

Oh yeah, thanks for my Medicare benefits, y'all.image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file