Home U.S. Coin Forum

Incredible Kennedy Half PCGS Submission!!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought I would see these words strung together:

"Incredible Kennedy Half PCGS Submission" but

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I saw a 1964 like that raw a few years ago. The seller wanted $50 which I thought was outrageous, so I didn't buy it. Now you reminded me and I feel like an idiot! image
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are beautiful.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.
    Love that 65
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding! Love the color on the 64-D image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    These are Ray's coins. It's actually not a fresh submission, but rather a reholder/regrade and pedigree.

Russ, NCNE
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Very nice indeed. But what's with the Cert# overlapping part of the coin in the images? Someone layer the image wrong in photoshop? Ruh-roh!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent grades... too bad about the tarnish on the '64....... Cheers, RickO
  • PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Nice, the strike on the '76 / '76 reverse is fantastic.
    D.A. Priest
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are those nicks and scratches on the reverse field of the Bicen half?

if so Im encourged to submit one I have from my Moms coin buy back in 1976.....
  • Nice! I like the look of that 1967.

• << <i>are those nicks and scratches on the reverse field of the Bicen half?

if so Im encourged to submit one I have from my Moms coin buy back in 1976..... >>

I wondered the same. That looks like a lot of activity for a 67+
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    The freckles on the reverse of the 1976 are probably just toning breaks.

I'm more worried about the 1965. Looks SMS. I understand PCGS is the ones to have seen it in hand and I am left with a picture and less expertise. But, for instance, look at the difference between the 1965 and 1967 in these pictures. The 1967 looks like a business strike. Die polish lines, rougher fields overall, more defined luster. Yet the same quality picture was taken of the 1965, no? Even the luster cartwheel is in the exact same positions in both pictures. Yet the 1965 seems to have overly smooth fields with a touch of PL, not as blazing luster, and some haze to boot. And, actually, the small crescent of tone on the 1965 seems to further indicate it could be SMS as there are some SMS that are toned as such (but are farther along in the toning process and exhibit different colors) while business strikes are rarer with toning like that.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    First, the 1964 was one of MANY of Richard Green's coins. He sold it only after he got the one in MS 68. He still regretted getting rid of it because of the color/appearance.
    Second, the 1965 is most DEFINETLY an MS coin. I have MANY SMS coins and this is very different. It went through the PCGS grading system 3 times on this submission and is the only upgrade on these coins. The others were re-submitted because PCGS didn't give these coins the Secure Plus holder that they had before when I submitted my complete set under the pedigree system. The marks you see are actually breaks in the skin of the coin. There are NO defects on the coin. EXCEPT for the mark below the Kennedy bust. It was a struck through error. When pointed out, under the Secure Plus system, it was walked thru the graders and AT LEAST 3 GRADERS, INLUDINg a SENIOR grader agreed the coin was an MS, NOT SMS coin, and deserving of an MS 67. Corrections made.
    Third the 1967 is in NO WAY an MS 66+. It will be resubmitted again for the second time. The coin has no faults and should have been graded as an MS 67. Next time it will make the grade of MS 67. I have PLENTY as MS 67 and SMS coins for comparison.
    Fourth, the 1976-P in MS 67+ Is ALL there!!!! When Richard Green saw this coin, He stated he wanted it, if PCGS saw the way to grade it MS 67. He knew it was at least an MS 67, and thought it would grade MS 68. He offered me a trade of his 1976-P in MS 67, Plus another in mS 68 when slabbed, I believe it was a 1986. Unfortunately, it was slabbed after we lost him forever. The "marks" you see are actually breaks in the toning. The only mark is a single mark is on the face, which is hardly visable, even under magnification.

Thanks for the original poster whom realizes how hard these high grade early Kennedy coins to make. At least someone cares about "hairy Heads" instead of the "baldies"!

Edited for spelling.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweet pluses!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    If you take a close look at the 1965, you'll see the die polish lines on the obverse on the left side. Plus the polish lines on the reverse. FYI

• wow, whoever says modern coins aren't exciting needs to take a look at these.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not a fan of toner coins but i do like that 64 image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some really nice looking coins Ray image >>

Twincam, what a gorgeous MS68!!!!!! image
    PCGS Price Guide: $15,000!! image

• Those are a pair of very good looking coins
    I LOVE your 64 Dave!!! Richard sold me his after he bought yours. He sure had good taste, huh? Do you want to trade? I have a few nice toned 70-80's Kennedys. Some slabbed, some raw. Just like mine in Rick's book. Mine are the 64, 67,73-D, 81-P, and the 83-P in the back of the book. I have a virtual complete set including the proofs from 71-83, including the 82-P no "FG" in MS 66. Not to mention the 76-P, etc I REALLY wish PCGS would recognize it as a variety, and not an error. The 67 and 72 no"FG's are varieties. What's up with that? If you want to trade, you know where to find me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file