Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any of you forum denizens planning on stopping by the courthouse tomorrow for the Langbord status co

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
The status conference hearing will take place in the Federal District Court in Philadelphia on 1-6-2011 at 2:00 p.m. EDT in the courtoom of Judge Legrome D. Davis. The attorneys [and maybe even the parties] are required to appear.
The courtroom is located in the James Byrne Courthouse at 601 Market Street in Philadelphia.

I suspect that there will be no hearing in open court. Instead the hearing will probably take place in the judge's chambers. It would be interesting to sit in on the status conference and hear what everyone has to say about the current status of the case and about future events in the case. It would also be interesting to see the attorneys and their clients.

Comments

• So everybody is invited to "posture" before the Judge...and in Philly too.

Hey, that's where the coins came from...wonder if they will be released to visit the...naaahhh!
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were possible, I would surely attend. This case is really intriguing and I have followed it (mainly through your postings) avidly. Cheers, RickO
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure the status conference is over by now [it is almost 6:00 p.m. EDT as I type this].

I just checked the case docket and the last document filed in the case was on 12-21-2010 [the papers showing two attorneys representing the goverment have withdrawn]. Nothing from today. Maybe something will be docketed tomorrow.

I wonder:

1. what happened at the status conference [dry discussion of setting future courtdates and deadlines in the case only; or substantive discussions about the case and whether there is any possiblity of settling same]; and

2. if any forumite showed up to observe who was present in the courtroom for the case [attorneys only or attorneys and parties].

With respect to the two attorneys withdrawing from representation of the government defendants, it is possible that the change has resulted from procedural stuff related to work flow assignments in the US Attorney's Office.

My recollection is that asset forfeiture is a matter that can arise in a Civil context and/or in a Criminal context. About 20 years ago I was involved in a Criminal forfeiture case in Seattle Washington [a large custom home on Lake Washington that the government sought to forfeit since the owner of the property was a carpenter who built the home with money obtained from his pot farming operation] where I representing an elderly widow [of a deceased Marine Corp general] who had made a $100,000.00 second mortgage loan on the property through a church friend of heres who happened to be a mortgage loan broker who worked out of his car. Quite an interesting case to work on. I am a civil practitioner who knows the civil side of things. When I had to deal with the US Attorneys in the criminal division, their language and way of looking at things was completely different from mine.

Two different worlds are civil and criminal law.

I digress.

The US Attorney's office has civil and criminal divisions and maybe the case has shifted from one group of attorneys working in one division to another group working in another division.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I think they all sat around drinking beer and telling "lawyer stories" about silly coin collectors.... Well, heck, it's better than a dry as Death Valley scheduling session.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    ANY new words on what happened at the courthouse? Thanks, Steveimage
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to the hearing and then figured pulling all my teeth out by attaching them to slow moving trains would be more fun. No offense. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no news??? Inquiring minds want to know....... Cheers, RickO
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sure the status conference is over by now [it is almost 6:00 p.m. EDT as I type this].

I just checked the case docket and the last document filed in the case was on 12-21-2010 [the papers showing two attorneys representing the goverment have withdrawn]. Nothing from today. Maybe something will be docketed tomorrow.

I wonder:

1. what happened at the status conference [dry discussion of setting future courtdates and deadlines in the case only; or substantive discussions about the case and whether there is any possiblity of settling same]; and

2. if any forumite showed up to observe who was present in the courtroom for the case [attorneys only or attorneys and parties].

With respect to the two attorneys withdrawing from representation of the government defendants, it is possible that the change has resulted from procedural stuff related to work flow assignments in the US Attorney's Office.

My recollection is that asset forfeiture is a matter that can arise in a Civil context and/or in a Criminal context. About 20 years ago I was involved in a Criminal forfeiture case in Seattle Washington [a large custom home on Lake Washington that the government sought to forfeit since the owner of the property was a carpenter who built the home with money obtained from his pot farming operation] where I representing an elderly widow [of a deceased Marine Corp general] who had made a $100,000.00 second mortgage loan on the property through a church friend of heres who happened to be a mortgage loan broker who worked out of his car. Quite an interesting case to work on. I am a civil practitioner who knows the civil side of things. When I had to deal with the US Attorneys in the criminal division, their language and way of looking at things was completely different from mine.

Two different worlds are civil and criminal law.

I digress.

The US Attorney's office has civil and criminal divisions and maybe the case has shifted from one group of attorneys working in one division to another group working in another division. >>

I expect that the Guvmint turnies prolly assuumt he wuz gilty until you pruved yer client innasent!!
    theknowitalltroll;
    No new information on the court docket as of yesterday.

Patience, patience.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Are they coming out with an iphone app. version ? Called: "PocketDocket" ? (TM)
    RWB:

Your PocketDocket caused me to sift through my memories of many years ago when I was first out of law school working my first job in the law.

Without going into details, there was a scandal at a So Cal county courthouse. One of the particpants in the scandal was referred to as the DocketSocket.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone dropped their briefs.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file